Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Kernal Panic In 10.2.2 with old KP screen

Kernal Panic In 10.2.2 with old KP screen
asidrane
Dec 3, 2002, 05:00 AM

I've had two kernal panics int eh past two days. While that is very unusual in iteself, considering I've had a total of three since updating to Jaguar on the day it was released, the oddest part was that these two did not produce the jaguar dim screen telling me to reboot, the wrote the unix text over the screen like in 10.0 and 10.1. The first KP was when i accidentally launched iTunes and then tried to force quit. What happened was the CDDC accessing dialog came up cause of an audio cd in my external burner. I did a force quit by clicking ont eh dock icon and boom, kernal panic. then today, i ahd two CDs mounted. The same audio cd int eh external and Wolfenstein in the internal. I pressed F12 to eject, not realizing i had discs int eh comp and boom, kernal panic. Both panics were the old unix text type. the one I had before this was the result of trying to mount a windows share on a comp that was off. This resulted in a jaguar KP. I'm on a B&W g4, and yes, I just sent feedback to Apple. Weird about the KP screen, no?

Vanquish
Dec 3, 2002, 06:07 AM

Did you do a full install or update from 10.1.x ?

asidrane  (op)
Dec 3, 2002, 08:11 AM

I recently did a clean install of my system actually. I backed up onto a cd, reformatted and installed from my jaguar cd

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 09:07 AM

You are incorrect. You have not had kernal panics.
You have had kernel panics.
It is not a difficult word to spell.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Vanquish
Dec 3, 2002, 09:40 AM

You are incorrect. You have not had kernal panics.
You have had kernel panics.
It is not a difficult word to spell.
Did you solve his problem ?

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 09:50 AM

Not the problem which caused him to post this thread, but I like to think that I have slightly raised the education level of the world.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

asidrane  (op)
Dec 3, 2002, 09:54 AM

Gul, thank you very much for correcting my misspelling of the word. I guess when staying up all night writing a paper, I don't have the energy to throughly proof read my forum posts. If macnn forums had the same spell check that adium does, with teh real time checking, I would have caught the mistake. I can promise you that my IMs are impecable. Anyways, my point was that this is a two major bugs in OS X. One, it's panicing and two it's not even handling the panic properly. Don't get me worng, as archaic and cryptic as the text writing over the screen may be, it at least sheds some light onto what went worng. but nonetheless, Apple needs to address this issue. Your average user doesn't want to be intimidated by a crash. This is how Jaguar is advertised as handling a panic. Instead of scaring the user with the unix garbage, it politely and calmly lets the user what's going on.

Vanquish
Dec 3, 2002, 09:55 AM

I understand your annoyance (I hate spelling errors too, altough I know that my English isn't perfect) but: it's just a forum you know ?

Now let's help the original poster, shall we ?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 10:08 AM

Perhaps not a nice suggestion, but I belive I had some corruption in the open firmware on my ibook back then when it was new . It caused my system to become very unpredictable (,but not absolute random) unstable, with many kernelpanics and freezes, especially under X. Apple support suggested me to take a low level format of my drive and the open firmware was supposedly to get updated. Can't verify that for sure my self, since my system got so bad in the end that low level format and reinstall was impossible. But I'll assume they updated the openfirmware when I sent it in to repair, and it has worked flawlessly ever since then. (If the error was hardware related on a low level I doubt it would get fixed as quickly as it did.. I also checked any ram issue before I contacted Apple)
Just my two "euro"..
( Last edited by sniffer; Dec 3, 2002 at 10:17 AM. )

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2002, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by asidrane:
If macnn forums had the same spell check that adium does, with teh real time checking...
Use a cocoa web browser. Magic.

asidrane  (op)
Dec 3, 2002, 11:50 AM

A Cocoa browser, hmm. OmniWeb, Chimera, no thanks. I'll stick with Mozilla. OmniWeb is a good program for OS X, but not a good renderer. Chimera is gonna be very good when it is complete. Mozilla is not a very good OS X program, but it renders webpages quite quickly.

Avon
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 12:29 PM

How does one check spelling in Chimera?

Thanks.

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2002, 12:59 PM

Chimera doesn't automatically check my spelling while posting this. How do you turn that feature on? I thought it was supposed to be automaticly added to Cocoa apps?
--Laurence

asidrane  (op)
Dec 3, 2002, 02:14 PM

Spell checking isn't automatic in Cocoa apps. Look at iChat

Avon
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 02:42 PM

So how does one turn it on????

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Avon:

So how does one turn it on????
You can't turn it on until they program it to be able to do that. Although Chimera is a Cocoa-based program, its text boxes are not necessarily Cocoa widgets.

Avon
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Anomalous:

You can't turn it on until they program it to be able to do that. Although Chimera is a Cocoa-based program, its text boxes are not necessarily Cocoa widgets.
So why in the world are peple saying there is spell checking in Chimera. Am I speaking the same language here or are you guys just making stuff up.

foobars
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 06:00 PM

The only person who said spell checking worked in Chimera was the same one who said he didn't use it. Chimera infact doesn't have spell checking because, as someone else said, it doens't really use Cocoa widgets.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2002, 06:15 PM

Yes, spell checking is automatic in Cocoa apps. Look at iChat. Oh, you don't notice the spell checking in iChat? Maybe you didn't turn it on. Click on the field you want to spell check (probably the text entry field) and go to the Edit menu -> Spelling -> Check Spelling As You Type.

If you want further proof, you can launch one of my apps (either Pacifist or BootCD, take your pick), find a text field somewhere that you can type in, and activate Check Spelling As You Type in the Edit menu. I give you my word that I did not waste time implementing a spell-check feature for Pacifist's Find dialog box.

The trouble with Chimera is that it doesn't use the standard Cocoa widget, NSTextView. Instead, it uses whatever the Gecko rendering engine is using, which I assume is a Carbon widget, and wrapping the thing in a Cocoa shell. This probably makes the rendering faster, but makes us lose nice features like the spell checking. If Chimera were using NSTextView like OmniWeb does, it would get automatic spell checking with no extra work.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Dec 3, 2002 at 06:22 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Brass
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 09:10 PM

or maybe they are using the cocoa widgets (ojects?) but just haven't added any menu command to turn spell checking on?

Hey, I thought this thread was about kernel panics???

Tom C
Dec 4, 2002, 12:20 AM

Let's get back on topic here.

I've had two kernal panics int eh past two days. While that is very unusual in iteself, considering I've had a total of three since updating to Jaguar on the day it was released, the oddest part was that these two did not produce the jaguar dim screen telling me to reboot, the wrote the unix text over the screen like in 10.0 and 10.1. [Snip] Weird about the KP screen, no?
This happened to me once, also, under 10.2.1. I unplugged the power adapter from my iBook at the same time I unplugged my USB mouse, and got the old-style KP screen. (I have since read that this was a known KP-causer under 10.2.1.) The error was a corrupt stack (see dump below, which I sent to Apple). I know next to nothing about kernel internals, but it must have been something really bad that it couldn't bring up the nice Jaguar KP screen. It didn't write the dump out to the disk, either. On another occasion, I got the nice Jaguar KP screen, but it still didn't manage to dump the KP to disk.

When I got the old-style KP screen, the dump was:

System failure cpu =0 code=00000001 (corrupt stack)
Latest crash info for cpu 0
Exception state (sv=0x11a26a00)
pc=0009276c msr=00001030 dar =00000000 dsisr=00000000 lr=0009266c r1=f007ffc0 xcp=00000098 (system failure)
Backtrace:
backtrace terminated - frame not mapped or invalid 0xf007ffc0

Proceeding back via exception chain
Exception state (sv=0x11a26a00)
pc=90074328 msr=40001030 dar=00000000 dsisr=00000000 lr=90006670 r1=f00800e0 xcp=00000010 (0x400 - inst access)
Backtrace:
backtrace terminated - frame not mapped or invalid - f00800e0

Kernel version
Darwin kernel ver 6.1
Fri Sep 6 23:24:34 PDT 2002 root:xnu/xnu-344.2.obj~2/RELEASE-PPC

Memory access exception (1,0,0)

Avon
Senior User
Dec 4, 2002, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Maybe you didn't turn it on. Click on the field you want to spell check (probably the text entry field) and go to the Edit menu -> Spelling -> Check Spelling As You Type.
Thanks, thats the answer to my question. I am so uninformed, i have been using X since the public preview. Yikes.

Vanquish
Dec 4, 2002, 12:42 PM

Could anyone define "widget" for me ?

Avon
Senior User
Dec 4, 2002, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
Could anyone define "widget" for me ?
http://monkeydyne.com/rmcs/opencomic.phtml?rowid=29679

asidrane  (op)
Dec 4, 2002, 03:01 PM

Yes, you can turn on Check spellign as you type, but when I quit and relaunch I need to do this again. Adium is great because this is always on.
BTW, I never said Chimera did spell checking. I was simply listing the Cocoa browsers I know of. Someone else said Cocoa browsers did spellcheck

Avon
Senior User
Dec 4, 2002, 03:21 PM

Adium is not bad. Thoes sounds it comes with are gutwerenching though...

asidrane  (op)
Dec 5, 2002, 04:27 PM

Well, it's been two days since my post and I've had two more kernel panics with the old text over writing the screen. These are a little different. I'm running dual monitors. The first panics were on my right screen, then next two were on teh left. The 4rd panic was a result of launching Audion. And the last one happneed as I was restarting after installing the Carbon SOund manager update.

[email protected]
Senior User
Dec 5, 2002, 06:16 PM

ahh, my iBook's been kernel panicking like a pig since installing the carbon audio update...

i unplugged the powermate cause that used to be a problem, but still, i can't be logged in for more than a few moments before i get the friendly jauguar KP screen. this has happedned about six time so far this afternoon...

i don't even have to log in locally. it just ate it while ssh'ed in and looking at the logs.

i'm looking into it, eh.

asidrane  (op)
Dec 6, 2002, 03:08 PM

Well, add another one ot my totale. I kernel panic every day this week. Not one of the was handled by Jaguar the way it was supposed to be handled. This one occured when browsing a share on someone elses machine. The finder began to spin, so I relaunched and boom, kernel panic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules