Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB 2.0 drivers in Jaguar?

USB 2.0 drivers in Jaguar?
Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2003, 11:56 AM

I recently purchased a USB2 PCI card mainly because I needed more ports for a printer and card reader and had issues with power through a powered hub. I read a few different places that Jaguar has built in support for USB2, but after installing the card, it shows up in the system profiler as three seperate items on the PCI bus. It does not work.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or know of where to get drivers to make the card active?

This is the card.

Thanks!
--Laurence

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2003, 12:05 PM

Where did you read that Jaguar has support for USB 2.0? I work for Apple, and we've never been told that.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Sven G
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2003, 01:03 PM

AFAIK (I could be wrong, however), the only USB 2 PCI cards with OS X drivers are those from Orange Micro. Anyway, Apple should certainly think about including USB 2 drivers natively in OS X in the future, once FireWire 800 is an established standard: compatibility with the PC world is very important indeed...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

geekwagon
Senior User
Feb 19, 2003, 03:30 PM

I use THIS card in my FW800 system and it works great.

It comes with OSX drivers, but I just stuck it in and it worked. The drivers have a note that says they are needed if you plug a 2.0 hub into one of the ports on the card (which I don't...)

Cost me about $30 at Fry's, I think I have seen them at CompUSA as well.

Laurence  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2003, 01:26 AM

Since at least one person here has installed a USB2 card in their mac and it worked, that means that Apple HAS to have included drivers in the OS, which is what I had read elsewhere.

Now what I need to know is what devices are supported by those drivers. Obviously the Siig card seems to work and I'll probably get one of those. It just seems that apple should be a little more responsible and publish a hardware compatibility list on their web site like they do for CDRW drives for iTunes.

Mac users have grown to expect that when they install a device it just works. I realize that the site selling these cards is responsible for the disinformation on their site stating OS X compatibility, but there is no official resource to verify claims from any merchant. I don't really care in this instance as I will just put the other card in my PC or give it away, but for a new apple switcher this would leave them with a bad impression of the "ease of use" of Macs.
--Laurence

cmlewan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 02:20 PM

I have the Adaptec USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and it says on the box that it works with OS X. There is a cd, possibly with drivers included, that you get with the card, but I haven't used it. The card works without installing anything. But then I have only used devices that uses USB 1.1 with it. They work great without installing anything on the computer.

asidrane
Jun 8, 2003, 05:11 PM

I have a usb 2.0 card that iI picked up for $26 bucks. Works with USB 2.0 support without the drivers. It's from Domex technology or somehting like that. I plugged my friend's usb 2,0 capable mp3 player into the card and did some file transfer. It was definitely faster than usb 1.1, not as fast as firewire probably. I just installed the driver that I downloaded from their site. They gave me an orangeusb 2.0 driver. Interested if the speed of usb 2.0 data transfers will be faster now.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 07:41 PM

Also using the siig card using the Siig USB 2.0 drivers from their website. Creat card, supports sleep in my MDD.

vasu
Senior User
Jun 8, 2003, 10:40 PM

IOGear also makes one with Jaguar drivers on their site.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 10, 2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Where did you read that Jaguar has support for USB 2.0? I work for Apple, and we've never been told that.
Apple doesn't tell you a lot of things.

Apple's got a history of telling its people, IMHO, less than they need to know in order to provide good customer service. Or they tell them to say they don't know, even when they do.

(I thought Apple DID tell its employees to not post on message boards, though! I know a couple of members on the forums here who work for Apple and keep it secret because of that.)

In any case, the Developer Connection website does make mention of USB 2.0 support on this page.

tooki

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2003, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Apple doesn't tell you a lot of things.

Apple's got a history of telling its people, IMHO, less than they need to know in order to provide good customer service. Or they tell them to say they don't know, even when they do.

(I thought Apple DID tell its employees to not post on message boards, though! I know a couple of members on the forums here who work for Apple and keep it secret because of that.)

In any case, the Developer Connection website does make mention of USB 2.0 support on this page.

tooki
Apple has never told us not to post on message boards. Apple has been excellent at giving us information we need to provide excellent customer service. Not telling people information necessary to provide customer service is counter productive, and I'm sure Apple realizes that. This USB 2.0 issue is something I must have missed.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 11:59 AM

You missed the USB issue because like this thread, no one is willing to confirm USB 2.0 support in current Macs. Orange Micro provides the expansion card and drivers. Is this redundancy for want of an Apple driver?
I don't know.

Tom Campbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2003, 12:50 PM

hmm does anyone know if my recent purchase of an adaptec pci usb2 card will support usb 2? i know it works with usb 1.1 just fine... hmmm i eed to check this out while i can still return it.
thanks

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 08:27 PM

Check the label aand make sure it says 'high speed" USB 2 not "full speed USB 2" Full speed is only USB 2 compatible but is in reality USB 1.1. Orange Micro drivers will support most "high speed" cards.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 12:22 AM

My understanding was that 10.2.5 brought in USB 2.0 support but Apple isn't publically admiting it. I forget where this was brought up - Slashdot I believe. I can't confirm if that is true nor can I say why they haven't fessed up. It may be that the built in drivers aren't mature yet and they didn't want to support them.

Tom Campbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 05:28 AM

Well I went and asked adaptec and they said that the card needs drivers for 2.0 speeds to work but Apple has not yet made them. And as the sleep issue (there is one, it freezes every time) they said apple is working on it. So it could be... who knows when. I need something that will at least allow me to put the computer to sleep. they said most usb cards have trouble with this. Is that true? sounds like there's at least one or two above who don't. So i'm trying to figure out if I really want to bother trying the other drivers. this stinks. oh well. Maybe i'll wait till theres a usb 2.0 /fire wire 800 card. Yeah right that's probablly far enough off.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 07:25 AM

Look here:http://www.orangemicro.com/updateusb2mac.html
Orange Micro says "high speed" USB is available for Jaguar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules