Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Audio Quality using Firewire

Audio Quality using Firewire
Jodar
Aug 15, 2000, 11:42 AM

I'm curious to know if the sound that gets piped into one's computer, using Firewire,SCSI, USB, for any purpose, is digital stereo, as opposed to digital mono. I hear digital..digital..digital, but I can't get an answer from store people who sell DV cams to give me a straight answer. On my older hi8 camcorder, it was just digital mono, as there was no discernable right and left separation. Are the new systems capable of digital surround sound?

bizzare
Aug 15, 2000, 01:45 PM

Well I know for a fact, my Digital8 camera imports 16bit Stereo sound through FireWire. I'm sure most Digital8/DV cameras are either 12 or 16bit stereo. Never mono, unless you use only 1 external microphone which would record in mono.
------------------
-Bizzare

[This message has been edited by bizzare (edited 08-17-2000).]

Jodar  (op)
Aug 15, 2000, 02:23 PM

Okay, if there is 12 or 16-bit stereo processing, wouldn't it be possible to have some kind of surround sound? If your stereo mike is stationed in one position, and someone is behind it and to the right. Upon playback, wouldn't that be heard out of your right rear speaker? (assuming you have your speakers set up this way)

realeyz
Aug 17, 2000, 04:53 AM

ok I sense confusion here.

First of all, Digital Audio has nothing to do with number of channels. Mono is one channel (DUH) stereo is 2 channels, Dolby Surround or Pro Logic is 4 channels, Dolby Digital is usually 6 channels, but can also be fewer depending on source and master.

Camcorders typically record in stereo (left and right) with DV camcorders of course recording it digitally.

The number of bits also has nothing to do with number of channels. Bit number is simply a "resolution" of audio fidelity.

You guys are speaking apples and oranges here.

------------------
RealEyz Imaging
Animation | 3D Modeling | Visual Effects | Web Design | Compositing
realeyz imaging
animation | 3D modeling | visual effects | web design | illustration

fredzouille
Aug 21, 2000, 03:59 PM

you seems to know a lot about channel and Cie
what about digital output
i mean, i have no TV but would like to use my computer to output DVD on a screen with a video projector, everything is fine with the picture, but what about the sound, is it possible to come out with a digital sound with more than these two channel (DTS, Digital surround)
i want to take full advantage of my computer DVD and not only from the image

best regards

fred

realeyz
Aug 24, 2000, 03:42 AM

This would be dependent on your DVD decoder card and/or sound card. Some sound cards have digital out which just means outputting the digital signal to a receiver to be decoded. If its DVD then its most likely 6 channel audio which means after its been decoded you need to have 6 RCA type connectors to send the signals to either amplifiers or direct to speakers if receiver acts as the amplifier also. If your sound card is acting as a decoder then the audio must be sent by way of those same 6 RCA connectors to the external switcher or receiver to play on your system.

Does that all make sense?

------------------
RealEyz Imaging
Animation | 3D Modeling | Visual Effects | Web Design | Compositing

[This message has been edited by realeyz (edited 08-24-2000).]
realeyz imaging
animation | 3D modeling | visual effects | web design | illustration

Forum Links
Forum Rules