Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Help! - CarNN Buffs

Car Help! - CarNN Buffs
zerostar
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 10:00 AM

Hey there, my friend has a 1996 Civic, it has around 150K miles, she was driving home last night and the car totally died on her. She said it just cut off, no jerking like out of gas and no loud noises or sounds.

I went there after work and took a peek and am 90% sure there is no spark (I am going to verify this when I get off tomorrow)

My initial reaction is telling me first check the ignition control module then perhaps just replace the whole distributor assembly. (around $250 on this car)

Any other ideas or diagnostic steps I should check? I am no mechanic by any means but have done plenty of things on cars before so I got a pretty good feel for them. Let me know what you think and where you would start.
( Last edited by zerostar; Jan 26, 2007 at 10:11 AM. )

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

It's probably what you mentioned.... but to check, unscrew a sparkplug, plug it back into the wire, and hold the tip of the plug against the engine block, away from any oil or gas. Have someone crank it over.... if you see a spark, then spark isn't a problem. Other possibilities include a timing belt, in which case there's no possible way it could build compression and fire, since the valves would be open at the wrong time. But yeah, check for spark first. My sister's (now my car) 1992 Accord just up and died when she was driving, and it was the distributor or something along those lines.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 11:56 AM

Haha thats exactly what I was going to do to check for spark, but yeah I think thats it and from what I have read it most likely the Ignition Control Module, so that will be step 1. If it is the timing belt will compression be just low? I have a meter so I can check that as well.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 01:55 PM

if the timing belt snapped, you better hope it's a non-interference engine... otherwise you might as well buy a new car or have the engine rebuilt...

I would also check the engine fuses... that can cause a dead car like that too...

Zach

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 02:03 PM

well, generally timing belst don't snap, they slip. And don't worry about the engine... most engines these days are non interference, and even if it isn't, it doesn't necessarily mean your engine is toast. If it is the timing belt, you might not even get ANY compression. I'm guessing it's the ignition though. Go test that and report back.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 02:10 PM

Unless it's a DOHC engine a timing belt snap wouldn't be a big deal.

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2007, 02:47 PM

Do any electrical items (i.e. lights, radio) work? If not, you might have a fuse/main relay issue.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
well, generally timing belst don't snap, they slip. And don't worry about the engine... most engines these days are non interference, and even if it isn't, it doesn't necessarily mean your engine is toast. If it is the timing belt, you might not even get ANY compression. I'm guessing it's the ignition though. Go test that and report back.
can't you bend/break a valve if the timing is gone and you try and turn her over?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
can't you bend/break a valve if the timing is gone and you try and turn her over?
Yes.

I say good possibility it's the timing belt.
ice

andi*pandi
Jan 26, 2007, 03:11 PM

I'm not an expert, but I'm going to place my money on timing belt.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 03:33 PM

That is why you replace the belt every so many miles needed or not.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by xMetal View Post
Do any electrical items (i.e. lights, radio) work? If not, you might have a fuse/main relay issue.
Everything in the car works, just no spark at the plugs.

I am hoping for ignition module. My first thought was actually timing belt, but I am hoping something cheaper & easier for her to fix at this point.

I will surely follow up and let you know.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I'm not an expert, but I'm going to place my money on timing belt.
Any reason you say this instead of something in the ignition? As far as I know the car has been running the same for the past several months, wouldn't a loose/slipping belt run rough of and on?

andi*pandi
Jan 26, 2007, 04:01 PM

If it's been 50-60k since you last changed the timing belt, you never know when it will fail. When it happened to me, there was no warning. 70 mph and then... nothing.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 04:10 PM

Yeah I doubt she has changed it in a while.... My wife's car says 100K for the belt, but at 70K I am getting ready to change hers.

Wouldn't the simplest way to check the belt be to remove the distributor cap and turn the engine over, if the rotor doesn't spin belt is off, correct, or is my logic flawed... I am pretty sure this is a non-interference engine so no harm there?

If its spinning, I should try the ICM and go from there... If not, timing belt, and I don't know if I am up for that so a tow to a shop may be in order.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 05:18 PM

Shouldn't you hear some kind of bang when the timing belt goes ? It's bends all your valves and whatnot, no ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 05:19 PM

Not always.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 05:33 PM

So I guess from reading online I found out that this IS an interference engine, so her constant turning it over may have harmed the engine? Will my turning it over to check if it is indeed the belt harm the engine any more?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 07:17 PM

Turning it over with a broken or slipping belt will severely damage the engine... it will need to have AT LEAST a top end rebuild/ replacement

as suggested, turn it over while the Distributer cap is off, if you see the thingy spinning your timing belt might be ok... if it does not spin... well you are SOL...

Zach

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 07:49 PM

Could possibly be a plugged fuel filter as well.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 08:39 PM

Also on my list

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 09:03 PM

Again, not always. If it is the timing belt, and it's broken, it might not have broken with the valves open... in some interference engines it's actually pretty hard to damage your engine. But I still say it sounds like ignition.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 09:42 PM

Going over tomorrow morning with tools, will update.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 01:57 AM

hopefully you won't cause more damage then good

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 02:53 AM

I'm guessing it's the solenoid, only because I just finished watching War of the Worlds. It also sounds funny.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2007, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'm guessing it's the solenoid, only because I just finished watching War of the Worlds. It also sounds funny.
haha, sweet guess.

but back in the real world where folks like me don't really get cherry '67 fastback 'stangs to toss around corners, I'd go for the timing belt sitchu.

happened to me one night on I-95 in my lowrider Isuzu P'up. I remember it costing quite a few hundred dollars. I think we bent some stuff. This was yeears ago.
ice

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 07:25 PM

Well cam was cranking so wasn't the timing belt. Low juice on the ignition coil so I first changed the igniter, no dice, returned that and changed the distributor cap (was burned up really bad and the rotor was shot) and the ignition coil and started right up. I also changed her plugs because they looked 200K miles old... easy....

She got lucky and came out with a bill of just under $130. I told her we need to inspect the timing belt to see if its ready, she thought she just did it but doesn't know enough about it to be sure.

The really shitty part is there was no seal on the distributor cap and she just had the whole distributor replaced last year. The ignition coil was rusted and I am sure the last few weeks of rain did it in. What a shitty thing to do, charge $350+ for a distributor, leave the old busted-ass cap and rotor then on top of that leave off a 10¢ seal and cost this girl $130 and almost a long walk home. Plus I am sure the plugs weren't pretty last year either.

Her throttle feels a little rough so next I'll clean that out and perhaps an injector cleaner is due too. But she is now purring like a kitten.

Thanks everyone!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 27, 2007, 07:32 PM

(told you guys it wasn't the belt).

bstone
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2007, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post

I had a rusted terminal on the remote solenoid on my 93 Explorer XLT. No spark, but I had electricity. Cleaned it off and all is well again.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 28, 2007, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Well cam was cranking so wasn't the timing belt. Low juice on the ignition coil so I first changed the igniter, no dice, returned that and changed the distributor cap (was burned up really bad and the rotor was shot) and the ignition coil and started right up. I also changed her plugs because they looked 200K miles old... easy....
Thanks everyone!

that **** musta looked like ass, fo rill.
ice

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2007, 05:40 AM

the intake may have become loose, happened to me. It will cause the car to stall or do that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules