Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Forza Motorsport 2

Forza Motorsport 2
Golden Halo
May 31, 2007, 07:28 PM

I just bought it. Does anyone else have it and what do you think?
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD @ 7,200rpm. 20" iMac Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256 VRAM, 250 GB HD. Pro apps: Final Cut Studio, and Logic Pro 8.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2007, 08:11 AM

stunning graphics.
we don't have time to stop for gas

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 1, 2007, 10:48 AM

I like it a lot, good amount of cars and the physics is quite good

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2007, 01:58 PM

I've got the Limited Edition ordered for when it comes out in the UK, so I will have it next Friday afternoon or Saturday morning (depends if I can get out of work early instead of finishing at 5 )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2007, 10:42 PM

I played it today. I thought it was pretty cool. I've never played the first one, so I can't make a comparison, but I think if I had a 360 I'd for sure spend some money on getting a nice wheel and pedal setup just for Forza 2. I like the older M3 by the way. Cool car.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 2, 2007, 02:08 AM

Compared to the original, Forza 2 runs a lot faster and smoother. One thing though, the engines sounds about the same (except when you add F.I) when you add different components to it.

Super Mario
Jun 2, 2007, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
stunning graphics.
Lighting, backgrounds, colours and spectators don't look as good as GT HD.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:26 PM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2007, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
[off topic rant] You're comparing a 630MB download with 1 track and 10 cars to a DVD (so 8.5GB Max) game with 300+ cars and 12 environments/60 tracks. If the Forza guys had the space available for the amount of data needed for the GT HD graphics it would be a 20GB+ game. The graphics on Forza 2 are pretty impressive to get the quality they are on one 8.5GB DVD disc, and have crash damage, customisation and a paintshop.

I have a 360 and think it's great compared to the PS3, but the one letdown is the DVD format games. If the 360 games were HD DVD or Blu Ray, then there would be hardly any difference between 360 and PS3 graphics - GOW looks amazing but is a short game because thats the trade off on disc capacity. [/rant]

Liking what I have seen of the game so far, and some of the paintshop cars coming out are nice (it was out in Japan first so there were lots of anime painted cars out there before it was released in the USA). Anyone with the game here been busy with the paintshop?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Super Mario
Jun 2, 2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
[off topic rant] You're comparing a 630MB download with 1 track and 10 cars to a DVD (so 8.5GB Max) game with 300+ cars and 12 environments/60 tracks. If the Forza guys had the space available for the amount of data needed for the GT HD graphics it would be a 20GB+ game. The graphics on Forza 2 are pretty impressive to get the quality they are on one 8.5GB DVD disc, and have crash damage, customisation and a paintshop.
I think you misunderstand. The problem of Forza's graphics are atmospheric colors and low polygon spectators. That would not take too much data to fix. There are plenty of games on DVD that have better texture on the tracks and roads and more polygons in the environment. The Forza guys spent more time getting the cars right and did less work on everything else because they had a deadline to meet. That's almost always the reason. X Box 360 and a DVD could handle GT HD quality graphics (number of tracks and cars has nothing to do with what I'm talking about).
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:26 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2007, 09:45 PM

I love it so far, level 20 after three days.

It certainly one-upped GT4 and has very impressive improvements over Forza 1 especially the physics.

My gamertag is FattyMcBlobicus is anyone wants to race sometime.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2007, 01:56 AM

maybe.
Its much better though.
Forza > Gran Turismo.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2007, 08:09 AM

I think you misunderstand. The problem of Forza's graphics are atmospheric colors and low polygon spectators. That would not take too much data to fix. There are plenty of games on DVD that have better texture on the tracks and roads and more polygons in the environment. The Forza guys spent more time getting the cars right and did less work on everything else because they had a deadline to meet. That's almost always the reason. X Box 360 and a DVD could handle GT HD quality graphics (number of tracks and cars has nothing to do with what I'm talking about).
The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2007, 07:44 PM

a good sim is about physics and gameplay above all, and Forza 2 kicks ass in both departments. personally, i like the graphics... once you've been playing for a few minutes all you focus on is the track and cars, both of which look good enough to make races beautiful, especially at 60FPS.

if i had three thumbs, they'd all be up for forza
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2007, 09:18 PM

I bought it a few days ago, great game, a lot of fun.
Last night I bought the Microsoft wireless racing wheel. The game is so much more fun with the wheel and pedals.

I find myself spending more time playing with the car painting mode

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2007, 05:47 AM

I hear the wireless wheel is made poorly? How is it?

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 5, 2007, 10:06 AM

I didn't hear anything about this, I was thinking about picking one up

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2007, 08:17 PM

It is absolutely fantastic.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2007, 01:59 PM

Peter, what sort of things did you hear about it?
I don't find that it's poorly made. The pedals slip a little on my tile floor, but I've found that if I rest my foot on the base of the pedals it holds it in place.
The steering wheel's force feedback is great. I thought it would just be simple vibration but it is actually force feedback which is so cool. If you hit a wall the steering wheel will turn away from the wall and give you tension if you try turn into the wall. If you drive off road the steering wheel turns itself.

It's hard to describe, but it's really enjoyable.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 8, 2007, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Peter, what sort of things did you hear about it?
I don't find that it's poorly made. The pedals slip a little on my tile floor, but I've found that if I rest my foot on the base of the pedals it holds it in place.
The steering wheel's force feedback is great. I thought it would just be simple vibration but it is actually force feedback which is so cool. If you hit a wall the steering wheel will turn away from the wall and give you tension if you try turn into the wall. If you drive off road the steering wheel turns itself.

It's hard to describe, but it's really enjoyable.
have you checked out the GT4 wheel? I am trying to find some reliable comparisons between the Forza 2 wheel and GT4 wheel (I liked GT4 wheel quite a bit, hated the original wheel for Forza).

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2007, 11:39 AM

No sorry, I have never used that one.
I read this review of the Microsoft one. I was in Best Buy and I noticed they dropped the price to $129.99 (from $149.99) and it comes with PGR3. The box also says it supports Need For Speed Carbon (which I'm currently playing through).

All in all, I really enjoy racing with the wheel. I find it a lot more fun.
( Last edited by mdc; Jun 12, 2007 at 11:37 AM. )

Shogun1026
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2007, 11:32 PM

Will it have Circuit de la Sarthe, possibly as a download.
I strive for excellence in a world of mediocrity.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
No sorry, I have never used that one.
I read this review of the Microsoft one. I was in Best Buy and I noticed they dropped the price to $129.99 (from $149.99) and it comes with PGR3. The box also says it supports Need For Speed Carbon (which I'm currently playing through).

All in all, I really enjoy racing with the wheel. I find it a lot more fun.
Got the wheel today, seems like it was made just for Forza 2. Now need to find a chair/stand combo and I am all set

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2007, 11:59 PM

the wheel kicks ass, there's nothing cheap about it. my best mate has one (also has a $300 logitech wheel for his PC and swears by the xbox wheel), but says the force feedback is a bit too strong for his liking. if you're worried about contstruction, don't be.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Forum Links
Forum Rules