Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > I really want a iphone but have verizon family plan

I really want a iphone but have verizon family plan
stagfish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2007, 09:58 PM

is there gonna be any chance iphone will get hacked to work on verizon , im temped to buy to use as a mp3/4 player.. saw them refurbed for 399????? any ideas

Cold Warrior
Aug 23, 2007, 10:27 PM

no way you can hack this version of the iPhone for Verizon. The current iPhone is GSM only; Verizon uses CDMA.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 24, 2007, 12:43 AM

Well, if you're skilled at swapping out its GSM innards for CDMA components, sure you could theoretically hack it to work on Verizon...
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by stagfish View Post
is there gonna be any chance iphone will get hacked to work on verizon , im temped to buy to use as a mp3/4 player.. saw them refurbed for 399????? any ideas
You want to spend $400 on an iPhone just to use it as a DAP? It's only got 4GB flash memory - save your money and buy a nano.

The iPhone is not going to be made available for Verizon anytime soon - the hardware is GSM-only right now (uses a SIM card), and AT&T's got exclusive rights to the iPhone for something like three years. Sorry.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by stagfish View Post
is there gonna be any chance iphone will get hacked to work on verizon
No. End of story.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2007, 01:41 PM

Here you go:

Apple - iPod

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

stagfish  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 08:23 PM

do you think I can buy the refurbed iphone and do the hack unlock then use it as ipod video and use the wifi???

manolo24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 09:24 PM

17" iMac 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 GB RAM - 500GB HDD
12" PowerBook 1.33GHz PowerPC - Doesn't Boot :(

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2007, 01:40 AM

By it's now unlocked to use another GSM network, and as stated above, Verizon is CDMA, so even unlocked, the iPhone won't work on Verizon's networks. Sad, too. I left Verizon for the iPhone, and I miss them. AT&T is just a pain in my ass. I've been with them for two months and one the phone with them already five times. I hardly ever had to call Verizon for help.

Oy.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt View Post
By it's now unlocked to use another GSM network, and as stated above, Verizon is CDMA, so even unlocked, the iPhone won't work on Verizon's networks. Sad, too. I left Verizon for the iPhone, and I miss them. AT&T is just a pain in my ass. I've been with them for two months and one the phone with them already five times. I hardly ever had to call Verizon for help.

Oy.
About what? My wife and I also switched from Verizon for our iPhones, and I haven't had to call AT&T since the phones were activated.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2007, 12:11 PM

Billing problems, mostly. I made my first payment online, got a confirmation code and everything, and then they sent me a notice I hadn't paid ad my bill was overdue. So I had to get them on the phone to discover the fraud department rejected my payment, and then I had to call them. It took forever to get through to them, as in days, and when I did, they had no idea what happened. They said they'd clear it, let me make my payment and take the late charge off.

But they didn't. I had to call them again.

And then when they did, I had to call the the customer line to make the payment which they couldn't take because fraud hadn't lifted the hold.

That took a day or two to clear up. Then this month, I still couldn't pay online.

And on and on.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 11:23 PM

Bummer. Hate when crap like that happens.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2007, 11:33 PM

Yeah, me too. Never happened with Verizon. I left AT&T years ago because of the same kinds of problems. Stupid iPhone

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 27, 2007, 09:42 PM

Bummer. Been with AT&T (in one form or another) for about 6 years and I've only called them to activate international roaming.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2007, 10:13 PM

Well, let's hope it's just teething pain. I'll let y'all know if I keep having problems.

Cold Warrior
Aug 27, 2007, 10:38 PM

I had a series of calls to Sprint a few years ago. It lasted a couple of days; was over a huge over-billing on their part. I eventually got it fixed along with a credit. Sprint sucks anyway though -- routinely rated worst or second-to-worst in the country. I'll dump them next spring when my 2 years is up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules