Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Why you shouldn't disassemble the new Apple wired keyboard

Why you shouldn't disassemble the new Apple wired keyboard
indigoimac
Senior User
Sep 24, 2007, 08:28 PM

Holy crap, don't try to clean the new one!

Mustard Hamsters � Blog Archive � How To Take Apart Apple’s Aluminum Keyboard

Form over function...yikes!
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2007, 09:39 PM

That is the best sales pitch for a keyboard protector I've ever seen. EVAR. Yikes is right! Liquids are now banned from the part of my desk that the keyboard is on. OMFGWTFBBQ! While that explains a whole lot about how compact the keyboard is, it also tells me that I'm not going to risk anything happening to it that isn't completely and utterly catastrophic (and not my fault). Thanks for the post!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2007, 10:42 PM

Yet another reason to go try to find a previous-model Apple keyboard - taking them apart is a piece of cake and not nearly as dangerous as it appears to be on the new one.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2007, 11:00 PM

Except that the new keyboard's tactile feel and appearance are markedly superior to the previous pro USB keyboards, and this keyboard doesn't have huge spaces for crumbs and debris to collect in. Besides, I don't make it a habit of disassembling keyboards for cleaning anyway.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MustardHamsters
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2007, 01:06 AM

Hey guys.

I've had both the old white keyboard and this aluminum one. I'm not positive which one I like better, as they are both excellent keyboards, but the white one is definitely easier to clean. The aluminum one doesn't get things stuck in between the keys, but as soon as you spill things on it you're done.

It was recommended to me that I dishwash the keyboard, but as whoever spilled on it didn't say anything or clean it up, and let it sit and soak for who knows how long, there was little chance that it would be revived.

On my old blog is a semi-detailed account of how I managed to get my iMac upgraded for free by Applecare. Sometime in the future I will post a more revealing version of it, as it's a good story. You guys would love it.

Thanks for reading my blog, and best wishes to all of you.

Dean

Forum Links
Forum Rules