Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Primegrid: Mac OS X support added

Primegrid: Mac OS X support added
zombie67
Senior User
May 11, 2009, 06:26 PM

There is now an OSX application for Primegrid.

Mac OS X support!
2009-05-11 9:00 UTC
We have released first PrimeGrid application for Mac OS X, Arithmetic Progression of 26 Primes Search (AP26). Mac OS X 10.3 running on PPC, 10.4 running on Intel and 64bit 10.5 running on Intel are supported.

Billy
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2009, 02:38 PM

There seem to be more Mac OS apps available now, but no announcements and not all of them are available in my preferences page. There is also a PPC app listed. I need to have a "Primegrid for Mac Dummies" as I find the website and comments baffling.

Penguirl
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2009, 03:38 PM

Maybe this is over simplified, but if you sign up and select all the applications on your prefs page, it will only send you work that is appropriate for your system. For instance Primegrid currently has a challenge in progress, but it's Windoze or Linux only so it won't let you select that app if you're running OS X.

Speaking of Primegrid, they say that having a 64 bit CPU is useful for the project. All Apple CPUs from the G5 forward are 64 bit, but 64 bit support varies between Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard. Does the Primegrid app run in 64 bit mode in either Tiger or Leopard?

I wish OS X were fully supportive of 64 bit operation so that issues such as this wouldn't exist.

Forum Links
Forum Rules