Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jag CD boot problems

Jag CD boot problems
j mars
Dec 4, 2003, 11:14 AM

Let me start by saying that I have successfully run Beta thru Jag on several Beiges so I am not a novice at this. Last week I had to reinstall OSX on my (534mh-G4, 768mb) Beige MT because I had a power outage during optimization and ended up with 250+ overlapped files (according to Diskwarrior) on my 10.2.8 HD. So I inserted my oft used Jag CD(10.2.0), rebooted and held down the "C" key. The screen remained dark and the computer refused to boot. Removing the Jag CD let the computer boot ( finally using Apple-Option-Control-Shift-Delete (AOCSD)) into a version of OS9 that was on the OSX separate HD; I could also boot off a different OS9 HD on the other ATA bus. But I in no way could get the Jag CD to boot using "C", Startup disk, or in OS9 the Welcome to Mac OSX program (which has a "restart in OSX button"). Sometimes after trying to boot the Jag CD the computer would refuse to boot in anything (including a Diskwarrior CD) and only a pram,NVram,and cuda reset along with a half hour power down would get me back to OS9 via (AOCSD).

Thinking that some sort of anti OSX flag had been written to the previous OSX HD, I zeroed all the data and reinitialized it, no change. I replaced it with a new 40 GB HD, no change. I partitioned the new HD with a 7.9GB partition on the top, no change. Still I could not boot off the Jag CD (reporting error 2) so I used my copy CD made when the first Jag CD was new, no change-noboot.

So I put the new HD in a firewire enclosure, connected it to my son's Beige (400mh-G4, 640mb) AIO and figured I would install off the Jag CD on this machine. At the time it was running 10.2.8 with no problems. Surprise, no boot off the Jag CD, surprise no reboot in 10.2.8 it came up (AOCSD) in the OS9 on a separate partition. It is as if there had been a flag set somewhere that meant "NO BOOT IN OSX". Again I reset the pram, nvram, and cuda. No OSX even though there was a proper OSX partition that had been working before trying to boot off the Jag CD. Finally after being shut down all night my son managed an OSX boot using Startup Disk something that resulted in only a black screen before the long shut down.

Let me recap: everything I can think of has been tried, resetting pram, nv ram, cuda switch. I have removed for 30min and tested (3.5v) the pram batteries. I have removed the ATI radeon board and reverted to MOBO video. I have reverted to the OEM G3 (266mh) from the G4. I switched back to the OEM CDdrive. I have cleaned and reinstalled the ROM (ver.B). I have removed every drive but the CDrom. The only thing I haven't tried is removing RAM. My son's AIO seems back to normal after an overnight power down, it is up and running on the 10.2.8 partition it refused to boot yesterday. I am certain that if I tried to reboot it off the Jag CD the same problems would recur but I will not screw it up again. Somehow the Jag CD seems to be writing a non OSX boot flag somewhere in the system that purging the pram, nv ram, and cuda switch doesn't touch. Where could it be? Only an overnight shut down seems to eliminate it (at least on the AIO, it has). All of a sudden " Scout, he bucking like wild mustang, Kemosabi." So my question is;
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?

Sven G
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2003, 01:20 PM

Sorry if I'm just ignorant on this issue, but don't the beige G3s (or similar machines) need the utility XPostFacto to properly install Jaguar/Panther...?

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

j mars  (op)
Dec 4, 2003, 03:48 PM

Beiges are able to handle Jaguar without XPostFacto, but cannot load Panther at the present time. There is a version of XPostFacto evidentually for Panther and the Beige but it is still in Beta form, I believe. However let me stress that these Beiges and Jaguar CDs have all worked prefectly before. Is it 10.2.8 that has caused the difficulty?

Avon
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 12:01 AM

I am also having a hell of a time reinstalling OS 10.2 on my Beige G3 300.

Its been a trouble free machine until a hard drive failure caused me to have to reload 10.2. I just cant do it! Im not new at this, I have installed 10.2 plenty of times. This Computer simply fails to complete the install process, it freezes at 21 minutes left.

I have done everything required. Updated the SCSI Driver, reset cuda, tried it on the ATA bus, using 4 gig HD. No luck. I can't explain this, I have had OS X on this computer for years and now I just cant install it. OS 9 installs without a hitch and in only 15 min!!!!

Can anyone please help?

Avon
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 01:17 AM

UPDATE:

Finally got it to work! Taking the battery out again and tapping the cuda switch cleared things up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules