Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Coffee, Tea, Caffeine Addiction?

Coffee, Tea, Caffeine Addiction?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 08:58 AM

I just had to stop drinking coffee and tea and went through about a week of caffeine withdrawal hell.

I didn't think that I drank that much coffee, to be honest. A cup in the morning (it was a big cup, though) and maybe iced coffee in the afternoon if it was very hot. I started drinking iced tea because it's hot. Then I was told I should stop for health reasons. I didn't think it was a big deal...then I got the headaches. Day after day of headaches. Today is the first day that I don't have a headache.

So, question is, how much coffee or tea does everyone drink? What is normal? Do you think that you drink a minimal, moderate, or excessive amount? Do you ever consider that you might be addicted to the caffeine in coffee? Have you ever stopped drinking coffee or tea and gotten headaches also?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Have you ever stopped drinking coffee or tea and gotten headaches also?
Yep. Headaches were so bad I had to restart the coffee and take the intake down slowly (weaning off rather than cold turkey). I haven't had a coffee for a couple of years now.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 09:04 AM

I don't drink coffee or tea, and I tend to stay away from caffeinated pop for the most part, but when Star Wars Ep. 1 came out and they had those characters on the Pepsi cans, I drank so many Pepsis/Mt. Dews to get them all...getting off the caffeine addiction wasn't fun. (What can I say, I was like 13)

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 09:10 AM

Doofy

Yep. Headaches were so bad I had to restart the coffee and take the intake down slowly (weaning off rather than cold turkey). I haven't had a coffee for a couple of years now.
Both you and Gossamer mention the side effects of caffeine addiction then withdrawal...hmm.

See, I didn't really believe in caffeine addiction, to be honest. I thought it was just rhetoric. Until I experienced it, that is. Not only did I have headaches, but I felt so bad all over...like I had the flu or something. Even the backs of my eyes ached.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2006, 09:36 AM

I quit drinking coffee after I had a really bad gastric attack.

I miss it.

I've started to drink more tea instead.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 09:45 AM

Maybe it wasn't the coffee that gave you the attack?

Maybe it was cream? Cream can make your gall bladder go beserk and cause a lot of pain. I know that personally. First time I had a gall bladder problem was when I had eggs benedict (a LOT of fat in them) at breakfast. Two hours later and I was in agony.

If you love coffee (and don't mind the caffeine) try coffee with non-fat creamer instead and see if it's better. That's how I used to drink it.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Maybe it wasn't the coffee that gave you the attack?

Maybe it was cream? Cream can make your gall bladder go beserk and cause a lot of pain. I know that personally. First time I had a gall bladder problem was when I had eggs benedict (a LOT of fat in them) at breakfast. Two hours later and I was in agony.

If you love coffee (and don't mind the caffeine) try coffee with non-fat creamer instead and see if it's better. That's how I used to drink it.

I did some googling, and found out that coffee has different pH values, and thats what causes uneven pH levels in the stomach and causes gastric pain (something like that. )
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 10:37 AM

Hmmm...

Well, that makes sense...and I learned something new!

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by andretan
I did some googling, and found out that coffee has different pH values, and thats what causes uneven pH levels in the stomach and causes gastric pain (something like that. )
Caffiene can also stimulate the release of gastric acid which may also icrease the risk of ulcers.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 10:49 AM

That makes sense also...

I had h.pylori once...

I had to give up coffee then (after antibiotic treatment for 3 weeks). I didn't even know I had ulcers until I was vomiting blood.

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 11:30 AM

The reason why it is not advisable to drink coffee, because caffeine restrict the blood flow into your brain. If you look at a brain of a person that drinks moderate or a lot of caffeine the brain is very bright as a normal brain is darker. So the reasons for your headaches is an increase in blow flow to your brain, which is a good thing (not the headaches but the increase in blood flow). People mistake the fact that you are more awake with your thoughts being clearer, which is not true in the long run the fact that there is an increase in blood flow will benefit you a lot.

And you should check also the rest of your diet, when it comes to an ulcer; go to a naturapath and ask him or her what is safe, what is good to eat or drink when you have an ulcer and what would make life better for you.

Luckily because you were not a huge drinker the headaches subsided really fast.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Monique
And you should check also the rest of your diet, when it comes to an ulcer; go to a naturapath and ask him or her what is safe, what is good to eat or drink when you have an ulcer and what would make life better for you.
Don't go to a doctor! Eight years of schooling taught them nothing, and they can't be trusted! Instead go to a store that wants to sell you something and ask the person with (possibly) no formal training what's best for you health!

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 11:49 AM

I drink lots of coffee. Between 2 to 6 cups (coffee mug) a day.

Coffee is very high in antioxidants, and study are consistantly showing that it is far more beneficial for you than it is harmful. ( http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/80/96454.htm )

I used to get bad heart burn until I started drinking good, properly made coffee. Charbucks and all the other crap on the store shelves gives me heartburn, but well roasted, ground, brewed coffee doesn't. No idea why. Probably something to do with having used sweetener and creamer in the crap coffee, while I very much enjoy my french press coffee undoctored.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 12:00 PM

I drink 1-2 espressos a day.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 12:12 PM

I'm not the least bit addicted to caffeine. I love, love coffee - make espresso all the time, enjoy a good bottomless cuppa coffee, love black tea with milk and sugar. But there are times I go without - weeks even, and I never have the slightest withdrawal pains.

I do NOT need it to get up in the morning - I'm more likely to drink juice or something. I like my coffee during the day or especially after a nice meal.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2006, 12:40 PM

I used to drink two or three 7-Eleven Big Gulps of coffee a day. Now I drink one every few days. I don't sleep very much, so I just use caffeine whenever it starts to catch up with me. Strangely, though, I've never gone through withdrawal on anything.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 01:15 PM

I used to drink lots of Mountain Dew Code Red, Red Bull, Rockstar, Coke, whatever, to get me through the day. Obviously, not good for me.

I stopped in October 2004. Cold turkey. And it hurt for 3 weeks. BADLY.

But, coming up on two years later, I still odn't do the bean. I miss it, I miss Code Red, but I like how I've lost weight, gained sleep, etc. since.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 02:33 PM

i'll put this thread under the no **** sherlock file

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 02:48 PM

Coffee is such a gorgeously volatile drink with such complexity in flavor and aroma that I don't think I could give it up.

Not to say that I'm "addicted." I drink for the flavor, not really for the buzz. The same holds true for wine and beer (which are similarly complex).

I've suffered from mild withdrawal headaches before, usually a slight annoyance the evening of the first day without caffeine; a moderate headache the next day; then back to slight annoyance the day after; and no further symptoms.

I drink 2-3 sugarless coffee beverages a day:
- A late-morning cappuccino or black coffee (preferably press pot).
- An espresso or two throughout the afternoon and evening.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I used to drink two or three 7-Eleven Big Gulps of coffee a day. Now I drink one every few days. I don't sleep very much, so I just use caffeine whenever it starts to catch up with me. Strangely, though, I've never gone through withdrawal on anything.
Luckily, coffee's never done much to me as far as sleeping habits go. I often have an espresso as or with dessert and retire for the night within the next hour or few.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2006, 02:55 PM

Nah, I mean I don't sleep much because I'm busy, not because I drink coffee. It'll only affect my sleep if I drink a bunch of espresso right before bed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2006, 12:03 AM

I went through two days of withdrawal back in 1983 when my doctor advised me to quit "or else". I had just gotten out of the navy where I drank coffee non stop while awake. I was on a submarine and often went without sleep. In an 18 hour day I was drinking upwards of 30 cups.

They were two very bad days in my life.

I now limit my coffee intake to two 12 ounce cups in the morning and one in the afternoon.

I love coffee, but now in moderation.

The "abuse" left me with a badly scarred esophogus (sp?), and difficulty swallowing. I have been on prescription Prilosec since it came out.
macforray

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2006, 09:06 AM

In an 18 hour day I was drinking upwards of 30 cups.
Wow, macforray. What a story. And your version of "moderation" is still 24 ounces a day? Wow again!

I've been drinking spring water instead. Boring, but you know what? I think andretan is onto something when he mentioned pH values in coffee upsetting the body, because now my body is starting to feel a lot better, back to normal, and I'm even sleeping better. Everything just seems to be better.

I'm pregnant and I've had terrible morning sickness and I was drinking iced coffee - which actually seemed to help my upset stomach while drinking it - but the oddest thing is that since I stopped all caffeine the morning sickness seems to have disappeared. Since I stopped the coffee and tea, literally I have had no morning sickness. I still get a little woozy when I'm out in the heat too long, but I'm feeling about 100% better now that the headaches are gone.

The water flushing through my system (I'm drinking probably 64 ounces a day) is probably helping a lot also.

But, I DO love the smell and taste of good coffee...I'll just have to save it for special days or once in a great while, that's all.

ambush
Banned
Aug 12, 2006, 10:20 AM

Believe it or not, you're a drug addict.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
I don't drink coffee or tea, and I tend to stay away from caffeinated pop for the most part, but when Star Wars Ep. 1 came out and they had those characters on the Pepsi cans, I drank so many Pepsis/Mt. Dews to get them all...getting off the caffeine addiction wasn't fun. (What can I say, I was like 13)
not to mention you didnt have to drink the soda
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2006, 11:01 AM

I gave up Soda earlier this summer, and It was really bad for about a week. It was awful, I was convinced I had a tumor on my brain or something. I had no Idea that I was dealing with a caffine addiction, I figured that it was too small an amount to be addicting (maybe 20oz, every other day...) but I definately was. I'm glad to be off it.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Dr.Michael
Aug 12, 2006, 12:35 PM

I drink tea since I was 17 (24 years now). Like 1 liter a day, usually darjeeling, one teaspoon of leafs per pot - you can easily see the ground of the teapot and the cup. And no, if I don't drink tea it has not the slightest effects.

Coffee seems to be different. My girlfriend is italien and she makes gorgeous espresso. I usually drink a cup after lunch, sometimes also one in the morning. I never get a headache if I stop, but I have the impression that I am more tired without espresso. I mean, more tired than I have been before I started with espresso maybe 5 years ago.
Also after the last session at the dentist I must say I never had so much plaque before. Tea has no effect on my teeth, but coffee....

So its a good idea not to drink too much coffee.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Aug 13, 2006 at 03:53 AM. )

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2006, 06:37 PM

I Do not drink coffee but I enjoy/ need a LARGE cup of Tea to start my day off. (I work early mornings)
Is there really any difference between coffee and tea when it comes right down to it???

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2006, 10:06 PM

I drink coffee almost every day. If I have off work I drink about 2-3 cups but if I'm working I don't drink as much oddly enough. I really enjoy sitting around and drinking it or drinking a couple cups before running a few miles but if I drink a lot before work I end up feeling too wired.

I used to drink iced lattes from Starbucks every day but quit cold turkey when I realized I was spending around $40 a week. I had headaches for about a week. Now it's Folgers crystals since I'm a cheapscate.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2006, 08:36 AM

I got the headaches too. I quit about 3 weeks ago because I had to go camping with my son. No coffee in this campground (at least that I was aware of), so I figured I'd quit before we left. Just cut it down gradually and it is a lot easier.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2006, 09:47 AM

That makes sense, alligator.

I had some diet Coke last night and sure enough, for the first time in a few days since I started feeling better, I feel kind of crappy.

It's the caffeine for sure. I just didn't sleep very well and today I'm tired and worn out.

JoshKurtz, it's hard to realize it, but coffee can be a very expensive habit!

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
I gave up Soda earlier this summer, and It was really bad for about a week. It was awful, I was convinced I had a tumor on my brain or something. I had no Idea that I was dealing with a caffine addiction, I figured that it was too small an amount to be addicting (maybe 20oz, every other day...) but I definately was. I'm glad to be off it.
Amateur! I used to drink a 2 liter bottle of diet coke per day. Now I'm down to 1 liter and I sleep better at night but I know that's still quite excessive. Not sure I can ditch it completely yet but I'm working on it.

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Amateur! I used to drink a 2 liter bottle of diet coke per day. Now I'm down to 1 liter and I sleep better at night but I know that's still quite excessive. Not sure I can ditch it completely yet but I'm working on it.
What do you drink instead of it? Drink lots of water it might help you.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
Coffee seems to be different. My girlfriend is italien and she makes gorgeous espresso. I usually drink a cup after lunch, sometimes also one in the morning. I never get a headache if I stop, but I have the impression that I am more tired without espresso. I mean, more tired than I have been before I started with espresso maybe 5 years ago.
Also after the last session at the dentist I must say I never had so much plaque before. Tea has no effect on my teeth, but coffee....

So its a good idea not to drink too much coffee.
Everything in moderation. Proper espresso (i.e. using real beans and the right extraction) has caffeine comparable to a cup o' tea (a single shot has a little less; a double shot has a little more), but then again, most espresso is not made properly.

One of the best things about espresso is that the taste lingers on the tongue for a long time after the last sip. If you want to avoid the stains, however, you should swish some water right afterwards.

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 08:37 AM

It is too easy to just grab a Coke when we are thirsty. Our society has also laced more and more things with caffeine. The latest is water! Do we really need caffinated water?

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by alligator
It is too easy to just grab a Coke when we are thirsty. Our society has also laced more and more things with caffeine. The latest is water! Do we really need caffinated water?
Hmmm, caffinated water to make an espresso....

I'll be right back (all jittery, of course......)
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Monique
What do you drink instead of it? Drink lots of water it might help you.
That's what I've doing in the afternoon and it has helped. I'm hoping to take down my current 1 liter a day to a smaller 20oz bottle and then down from there. For some reason, I have a very difficult time getting rid of it completely. I think part of the problem is that drinking the stuff has become something for me to look forward to and I have to replace it with "something else". Though the something else can't be chocolate or ice cream! no! I must be strong.

porieux
Baninated
Aug 15, 2006, 06:33 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:35 AM. )

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 09:39 PM

Except that it's a legal drug.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 10:46 AM

It's hard to o.d. on caffeine.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by porieux
There is nothing wrong with or dangerous about caffeine.

can cause kidney stones if to much is ingested. (had that)

can cause lack of sleep due to the bodies "high" (experienced this last night, damn finals, I rarely have caffeine anymore and I could barely sleep last night)

if nothing is wrong or dangerous with caffeine then why the heck are many posters above getting with drawl symptoms if they don't have it for awhile?

wiki is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffein...ts_of_caffeine

check it out, I found out some things about the stuff I didnae know about.

Alex

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 11:07 AM

I agree you have to drink a lot of coffee to do that.

It is different with alcohol and medication; the woman I work with (as I said in another thread) is an alcoholic and she takes medication for hight blood pressure; but she is so drunk that she does not realize that one conteract the other one. Last week she black out and she fell trying to get in to a bus; but that was just a freak accident to her in reality it is the beginning a very bad downhill to hell for her. It is a shame that she does not see it.

porieux
Baninated
Aug 16, 2006, 02:22 PM

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 02:47 PM

Withdrawal is not a bad symptom, because if you drink your cup of coffee every day you don't get headaches. No harm no foul.

I'm not convinced by any of the other arguments. I think a lot of the other 'symtpoms' are because people drink such crap coffee in general. That is the real problem.
You're not convinced that caffeine (not coffee) causes gall stones?

porieux
Baninated
Aug 16, 2006, 03:19 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 06:42 AM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 04:51 PM

snip
you sir, need to do some more research. perhaps the link i provided will shed some insight on the dark spots in your "hmm maybe this makes more sense than what I think" side of your brain.

Alex

porieux
Baninated
Aug 16, 2006, 04:56 PM

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 06:08 PM

touchy touchy. i said no such thing as a personal attack. your reading to much into what i typed. anyways, i said kidney stones, not gallstones. two different things

alex

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2006, 06:13 PM

I have a black 2 sugars Iced Coffee in the morning (or hot coffee in the winter) and no more coffee for the rest of my day.

I'm lactose intolerant so I drink it black....and that upsets my stomach enough, so I stay away from multiple coffees a day.

akia
Baninated
Aug 25, 2006, 07:35 AM

i quit drinking of coffee due some health problems,
but I got the headache, i have started tea instead of coffee.after some days i took low caffine coffee from Gourmet Coffee Gift Basket :: CoffeeBreakUSA.com.
Now iam fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules