Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple Posts iPhone Rate Plans

Apple Posts iPhone Rate Plans
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 09:22 AM

Apple - iPhone - Rate Plans for iPhone

Activation Video Apple - iPhone - Activation & Sync video - Large
Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features, including iPod; plans are subject to AT&T credit approval.

"All iPhone service plans include Visual Voicemail and unlimited data — Internet and email — so you only have to decide how many minutes and SMS text messages you need. You’ll select your plan when you activate your iPhone using iTunes on your computer."
Existing AT&T Customers

If you’re already an AT&T customer and want to keep your current voice plan, you can just add an iPhone Data Plan with unlimited data (email and web) and Visual Voicemail for just $20 per month.
( Last edited by stevesnj; Jun 26, 2007 at 10:17 AM. )
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 09:32 AM

The big question. Can you tether (connect via Bluetooth or cable and use the iPhone as a modem), and is it included in the plans? As an example, my AT&T BlackBerry plan is voice + $30 for unlimited data, but tethering is $50/mo. more. However, on my old phone, I was able to use the MediaWorks plan and tether for the same price.
( Last edited by schalliol; Jun 26, 2007 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Defining Tethering)
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2007, 09:34 AM

Finally something concrete...all the speculation was killing me.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2007, 09:38 AM

The best part is you can activate your phone at home.....sweeeeeet.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 09:47 AM

So $60/month minimum, basically, unless you're already on a decent plan w/o contract.

Kinda pricey in my view, but I'm sure it won't stop it from being a huge success.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
So $60/month minimum, basically, unless you're already on a decent plan w/o contract.

Kinda pricey in my view, but I'm sure it won't stop it from being a huge success.
This is only $20 more than Im paying now so it's no big deal to me. I am getting the added web/visual voicemail and e-mail (all unlimited) for $20!! sounds like a great deal to me.

TiG4
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 09:53 AM

Did anyone else notice the 80GB iPhone capacity on the activation video?
Gil
- It's not a sin to dance at a wedding -

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by TiG4 View Post
Did anyone else notice the 80GB iPhone capacity on the activation video?
Looks like 80Gb to me. def an error...they must of used a connected iPod to do the demo

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 09:57 AM

these look pretty damn good!

Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 10:02 AM

The text messaging part is just terrible. I just cannot believe Apple didn't insist on IM.

Texting is such a primitive, contrived cash cow for the phone companies...I'm not surprised they fought to keep IM from killing it...but how did Apple cave in to that?

My Blackberry can IM, a Treo can IM....wtf am I missing. People want IM...

Huge drawback. Huge.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
The text messaging part is just terrible. I just cannot believe Apple didn't insist on IM.

Texting is such a primitive, contrived cash cow for the phone companies...I'm not surprised they fought to keep IM from killing it...but how did Apple cave in to that?

My Blackberry can IM, a Treo can IM....wtf am I missing. People want IM...

Huge drawback. Huge.
I do IM forwarding on my AIM account to my phone so no big deal to me.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 10:10 AM

Wow! That's $30 less than I pay on Verizon for 450 minutes+unlimited data for my Treo. Awesome!

kman

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 10:18 AM

Once again, I'm literally angry with rage!

(Hey, it's an iPhone announcement - someone had to be furious about it!)

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 10:48 AM

For unlimited data that is an insanely good deal. I didn't want to switch to AT&T and have a MacBook to save up for, but now I am seriously considering getting an iPhone. It just gets better and better. That is a totally awesome plan. My only gripe is the SMS texting. I send hundreds, hundreds of text messages in a month. 200 wouldn't cut it. Then again, I could send actual, real email, so that sort of makes up for it.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 10:51 AM

As long as I can tack on the tack-on data plan to one line in a family plan, I'll probably get an iPhone if my stubby fingers can handle it. Although it's still $10 more than a tack-on Sidekick plan (but then again, I kinda expected that).

But DAMN. The plans are seriously a lot better than I would have anticipated. I was anticipating some price gouging on at&t's part. Oh well about texting, there's always unlimited e-mail.

*edit* Eh. Scratch everything I said; it would be such a hassle to add the iPhone data plan to one line in a FamilyTalk plan (that and I have no credit rating) that this whole self-activation thing might be what prevents me from getting an iPhone.
( Last edited by butterfly0fdoom; Jun 26, 2007 at 11:05 AM. )
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 11:10 AM

The rates are indeed better than expected. Apple has nudged me one step closer to the edge.

As for IM, I have a question. Is that something that could be added later via a software update? I don't use IM much, but it would be a nice-to-have for me personally.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 11:55 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised at these rates. I was expecting a minimum of $75/month. I'm not much of a texter, so I'm not too concerned about that. I just wanted unlimited data, and some decent voice minutes. Rollover is sweet too (I know its commonplace these days).

I'm happy! Its a big amount of anxiety that I had lifted with this announcement. Now my only anxiety is not being able to get one before they all sell out on Friday.

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Looks like 80Gb to me. def an error...they must of used a connected iPod to do the demo
An error? Or is it "one more thing" ? 4 and 8 gigs is just so horribly low for capacity considering that the sync process wants to drag your music, photos and movies over. It offers the option to move all music and all photos over automatically. Who in the world could cram all their music and photos into 8 gigs? Not many people. I am holding out thinking Apple will surprise us with more storage.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor Addict View Post
An error? Or is it "one more thing" ? 4 and 8 gigs is just so horribly low for capacity considering that the sync process wants to drag your music, photos and movies over. It offers the option to move all music and all photos over automatically. Who in the world could cram all their music and photos into 8 gigs? Not many people. I am holding out thinking Apple will surprise us with more storage.
That would be the biggest "one more thing" in the history of "one more things"! And as much as I would love for that to happen, I just don't think that's anywhere near the realm of possibility at this point.

But if Apple pulled something like that, they could sell 100 million iPhone in the first week!

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 12:01 PM

I'm glad you are "holding out" and not "holding your breath" because it isn't going to happen. 4gb and 8gb. That's it.

We will then likely see an iPod revamp with the iPhone interface in time for xmas. MW in January will give us new iPhones. 16gb for sure. Europe/Canada, perhaps. Maybe a smaller nano iPhone keeping the 4gb.

kman

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 12:04 PM

Doubt it will be an unadvertised upgrade...plus 80gb storage requires a hard drive. I could fit 3 movies and all my photos in less than 8Gb

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 12:07 PM

If you do the compression right, you can fit a lot more movies on your iPhone. Using HandBrake, I've got settings for what I think the iPhone will work with, and an average movie is down to under 1GB. Of course, you wont want to play that on anything other than an iPhone or something as small.

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Doubt it will be an unadvertised upgrade...plus 80gb storage requires a hard drive. I could fit 3 movies and all my photos in less than 8Gb
And no music. I'm not saying we will get 80 gigs but a bit more would not surprise me. Apple is notorious for underpromising when they announce early.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 12:16 PM

The iPhone plans are fantastically well-priced. It's only $20/month extra for the unlimited data plan since the 450 rollover plan already costs $40!

Better buy Apple stock immediately! this is sure to be a success!

Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
As for IM, I have a question. Is that something that could be added later via a software update? I don't use IM much, but it would be a nice-to-have for me personally.
Everyone wants it. It can certainly be added via software...but I suspect that this was a deal Apple made with ATT. ATT is afraid of IM. IM will kill text messaging.

I would prefer to pay an extra $10 to ATT just to have it then to leave it off altogether.

badtz
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 02:27 PM

They make it sound like for existing customers who want to keep their current plans/rates that they "just" have to get one of the plans ($20/30/40).

I really don't care for anything on the list, except Visual Voicemail. I don't care for data (using wifi only) or SMS (already have an SMS package). I wonder how that will work ....

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by badtz View Post
They make it sound like for existing customers who want to keep their current plans/rates that they "just" have to get one of the plans ($20/30/40).

I really don't care for anything on the list, except Visual Voicemail. I don't care for data (using wifi only) or SMS (already have an SMS package). I wonder how that will work ....
Well, the iPhone SMS plan would replace your existing package and you have to get the data even if you dont use it.

badtz
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 02:34 PM

Well, the iPhone SMS plan would replace your existing package and you have to get the data even if you dont use it.
Those plans do not offer (and no options) to get more than 200 SMS, so it wouldn't "replace" my existing SMS plan.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 02:41 PM

Those plans do not offer (and no options) to get more than 200 SMS, so it wouldn't "replace" my existing SMS plan.
Wrong. You can buy 1500 SMS for another $10 and unlimited SMS for $20 (those options are available to new customers as well). That's fair enough in my book.

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 02:45 PM

? Read the existing customer plans, there are 3 tiers, all based on the number of sms you get, 200, 1500 or unlimited.

badtz
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Wrong. You can buy 1500 SMS for another $10 and unlimited SMS for $20. That's fair enough in my book.
Originally Posted by Rumor Addict
Read the existing customer plans, there are 3 tiers, all based on the number of sms you get, 200, 1500 or unlimited.
That is listed for INDIVIDUAL/FAMILY plans. None of the materials state this applies for the existing customers also. The wording may imply that they'll offer it for those plans, but I'm not confident it does. And regardless, I would rather not have to pay $20 just to get visual voicemail. Currently I pay $5 for 200 SMS; I would rather not have to pay $15 [essentially] on top of that just for visual voicemail.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2007, 02:54 PM

Well I know people are gonna whine and complain no matter what, but I for one think these are GREAT deals.

Hugely competitive with the marketplace. I'm coming from the blackberry world on AT&T - $29.99 for unlimited internet (personal only, no corporate), and NO Text messages. So I save $10 a month, and get 200 texts. Seems like a deal to me.

I know this isnt perfect for everyone, and people who dont want data plans (wifi users only) are upset they need a data plan, but that was rumored for a LONG time, that iPhone would require a data plan. Say what you want, but this phone is subsidized just like the rest of them, maybe not the same way, but in all the deal making...AT&T gets theirs...$20 for unlimited internet is cheaper than usual...but in exchange EVERYONE needs to buy it - volume....

Compared to every other provider out there, $20 unlimited internet and 200 texts, and visual voicemail is at a minimum reasonable, and in some cases downright cheap...

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 02:59 PM

That is listed for INDIVIDUAL/FAMILY plans. None of the materials state this applies for the existing customers also. The wording may imply that they'll offer it for those plans, but I'm not confident it does. And regardless, I would rather not have to pay $20 just to get visual voicemail. Currently I pay $5 for 200 SMS; I would rather not have to pay $15 [essentially] on top of that just for visual voicemail.

Go here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

Click on existing customers. That will show you what will apply to your account since you're already an AT and T customer.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2007, 03:00 PM

Just so people know, it is actually possible to text people on iChat using SMS (and vice versa).

These plans are better than I had hoped for and definitely make the initial cost of the phone a little easier to swallow. I cancelled my Cingular account last month, but I called and apparently I can reactivate, and since I'm an existing customer they'll even allow me to have a $29.95-a-month plan (obviously with fewer minutes, but I use very few). So that would be $49.95 a month for unlimited internet and modest phone usage. Perfect for me.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 03:08 PM

I'm not sure how this works with other plans, but do service providers usually make you pay a fee if you want to upgrade your plan to a more expensive version in the future? I'm thinking I'll go with the lowest plan, which should be fine for me, but I would like to option to upgrade in the future, I just dont want to be charged for it.

Anyone know how this is usually handled?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 03:10 PM

That is listed for INDIVIDUAL/FAMILY plans. None of the materials state this applies for the existing customers also. The wording may imply that they'll offer it for those plans, but I'm not confident it does.
It does. And I'll post the image again:

This is on Apple's iPhone site for existing AT&T customers.

And regardless, I would rather not have to pay $20 just to get visual voicemail. Currently I pay $5 for 200 SMS; I would rather not have to pay $15 [essentially] on top of that just for visual voicemail.
$20 buys you visual voicemail and unlimited data (web, email). If you need neither VV nor data, then an iPhone probably isn't the right phone for you anyway. Any free phone will do SMS. And you can use your $5 SMS plan with it too.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I'm not sure how this works with other plans, but do service providers usually make you pay a fee if you want to upgrade your plan to a more expensive version in the future? I'm thinking I'll go with the lowest plan, which should be fine for me, but I would like to option to upgrade in the future, I just dont want to be charged for it.

Anyone know how this is usually handled?
I wouldn't swear to it, but cell phone companies aren't likely to put any barriers in your way to paying *more* a month, so I doubt that you would have to pay any fees. Downgrading might be a different story. The best thing to do is to just call AT&T (although I had to tell the person I talked to that the plans for the iPhone had been published on Apple's site, because she didn't know).

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I wouldn't swear to it, but cell phone companies aren't likely to put any barriers in your way to paying *more* a month, so I doubt that you would have to pay any fees. Downgrading might be a different story. The best thing to do is to just call AT&T (although I had to tell the person I talked to that the plans for the iPhone had been published on Apple's site, because she didn't know).
Yeah that's what I figured too. I wouldn't think they'd charge for upgrading. But you never know these days.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 03:17 AM

Am I the only one a bit confused by the fact that the small print says "you may add data for $20" to your existing minutes plan?" Did they mean "you MUST" add?

I mean, I am a current Cingular customer with only minutes (no data) and I need no data plan. Heck, part of the cool thing about iPhone is Wi-Fi so why would I want to pay ATT for data on this supposedly slow-all EDGE network?

So the question is must every iPhone user purchase a data plan?

It seems foolish to spend $20 a month on something I would not need nor use.

More fine print says other plans are available for the iPhone. What are they?
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 27, 2007, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Macpilot View Post
Am I the only one a bit confused by the fact that the small print says "you may add data for $20" to your existing minutes plan?" Did they mean "you MUST" add?

I mean, I am a current Cingular customer with only minutes (no data) and I need no data plan. Heck, part of the cool thing about iPhone is Wi-Fi so why would I want to pay ATT for data on this supposedly slow-all EDGE network?

I think at&t and apple are forcing every user to have a data plan.

The data tack-on plan is for existing customers. The other plans are basically the normal Nation plans but with the data plan bundled; I assume existing customers would have the option of going for an all new plan with their iPhone instead of the tack-on plan.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Macpilot View Post

If you plan not to use email/web/visualvoicemail/ or other data services then the iPhone may not be for you.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2007, 05:36 PM

I just got off the phone with AT&T again. They still don't really know what's going on with regard to the iPhone. To recap my situation: I had a Cingular phone for 2 years and just fulfilled my contract a little over a month ago. Since I wasn't sure at the time that I was going to get an iPhone (what was I thinking?) I decided to cancel my service for the moment. When I called to cancel, I was told that there was a sort of secret plan that they could make available to me (basically a last ditch attempt to keep me from quitting). It only cost $29.99, and had 200 daytime minutes and I don't recall how many night and weekend minutes.

When I had my previous phone, I really only used it to keep in contact with my wife and other family members while we were outside the house, so I used very few minutes. (Seriously, I think I used less than 20 minutes some months). Thus, the $29.99 sounds very good to me, and it would be perfect if I could have that on the iPhone, since I plan to use it mostly for its Internet/email/iPod capabilities. They looked into it for quite a while, and even asked if they could call me back later, which they did. They still couldn't tell me for sure whether I would be able to use the $29.99 plan on the iPhone, but the wording on the Apple web site indicates that you could just add the $20 iPhone charge to any voice plan. So I had them reactivate my service using the $29.99 plan, after verifying that I could switch to the $39.99 plan if for some reason it wasn't possible to use the cheaper plan with the iPhone. I'm willing to pay the $39.99 a month (+$20 for iPhone data) but I'd really prefer not to, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. A total of $49.99 for the iPhone sounds great to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules