Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Help setting up Home Theater with Mac mini, other components

Help setting up Home Theater with Mac mini, other components
Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2010, 05:18 PM

Hey guys....

I have a few question regarding my new setup.

I have a Samsung HDTV with plenty of HDMI inputs, a new Mac Mini, a CD changer with optical out, a Cable Box with optical out, and a PS3 Slim with HDMI and a separate optical out.

Now, I am going to run audio from a new Denon HTIB model AVR 590. I have never ran a system with a pass-through like this Denon has. The Denon has 3 HDMI inputs (all being used here with 3 video inputs) and 2 optical audio inputs and a HDMI out.

First question: Is pass through the same video quality as running individual HDMI directly to the TV? This Denon apparently has the ability to output HDMI via pass though.

Second question: Is optical audio any better than using the HDMI cable for audio?

Third question: Should I reserve my remaining optical input for the PS3 or Cable Box?

Here is why I ask:

The Denon system has only two optical inputs, so if I went optical I would already have one optical used by the CD changer. So I am left with one optical input for the PS3 or Cable box to use. The Mac mini is hooking up via an adapter that combines DV out and audio out to a single HDMI cable.

Thanks in advance guys!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

ibook_steve
Mar 30, 2010, 05:53 PM

1) HDMI (and DVI) are completely digital, so "pass through" should be no different from connecting directly. That's what a switcher/receiver is for!

2) Why use a second cable if you can get everything over just one HDMI cable? It's all digital audio so it's the same.

3) See 2. Use HDMI for video and audio wherever you can. But I'm curious about this "adapter that combines DV out and audio out to a single HDMI cable" for the Mini. As far as I know, you can't just splice a separate audio output onto HDMI. What is this and where did you get it?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
1) HDMI (and DVI) are completely digital, so "pass through" should be no different from connecting directly. That's what a switcher/receiver is for!

2) Why use a second cable if you can get everything over just one HDMI cable? It's all digital audio so it's the same.

3) See 2. Use HDMI for video and audio wherever you can. But I'm curious about this "adapter that combines DV out and audio out to a single HDMI cable" for the Mini. As far as I know, you can't just splice a separate audio output onto HDMI. What is this and where did you get it?

Steve
Thanks Steve!

Here is the adapter:

Kanex iAdapt™ 51 Mini DisplayPort to HDMI w/ 5.1 Channel Digital Audio

I have read all sorts of conflicting info about HDMI versus Optical audio.

I just hope this Denon unit works right.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2010, 07:50 AM

I support what Steve said!

My setup is quite similar to yours with a few small differences:
- MacMini
- PS3 (old version)
- Samsung LCD
- Harman/Kardon AVR345 Receiver
- IPTV Receiver
- Sanyo PLV-Z700 Full-HD Beamer

The MacMini is connected with a MiniDisplayPort->HDMI Adapter either directly to the TV or to the Beamer (Mini to Beamer or TV through the Reciever didn't work very well with the availabe resolutions in the display pref pane).
Audio from the Mini to the Reciever is done with an optical cable.
The PS3 is conntected to the Receiver with a HDMI cable and I've done the same with the IPTV Reciever.

This works very well for me, except that I would love to have 2 HDMI outputs on the Receiver since I now have to switch cables when I want to watch something on TV or the Beamer, but Receivers with 2 outputs are still quite expensive.

-Q-
Apr 3, 2010, 07:24 AM

Just thirding the recommendation to use HDMI where you can. No need to add more cables where none are needed.

And I haven't used one personally badidea, but this might be worth a look: Amazon.com: HM-501 5-PORT HDMI SWITCH w/ remote control, HDMI and power cable for HDMI input/output: Electronics

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2010, 06:15 PM

From my experience, you're going to run into video/audio sync problems if you run video over HDMI but audio over optical. That's why one of my main priorities for an HDTV is for it to still have component, DVI, and separate optical audio instead of just a bunch of HDMI ports.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
And I haven't used one personally badidea, but this might be worth a look: Amazon.com: HM-501 5-PORT HDMI SWITCH w/ remote control, HDMI and power cable for HDMI input/output: Electronics
Thanks for the suggestion but that's not what I need! I need two HDMI outputs - one to the beamer and one to the TV!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but that's not what I need! I need two HDMI outputs - one to the beamer and one to the TV!
Beamer is a pseudo-anglicism. What you call beamer in German is called projector in English. Some English speakers might actually think you're referring to a BMW when you use the word beamer. </nitpick>

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Beamer is a pseudo-anglicism. What you call beamer in German is called projector in English. Some English speakers might actually think you're referring to a BMW when you use the word beamer. </nitpick>
Damn, thanks for the hint Simon!

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2010, 11:53 PM

Well, I have everything set up and it really rocks!

Using that Kanex iAdapt thing for the Mac Mini, and so far so good.

Got two HDMI inputs into my Denon home theater system, and the Denon has an HDMI out to the TV, and all is good! It is changing the TV input without me having to use the TV remote to do it. Sound is killer!

Watching the latest Rush tour in Blu Ray and it is epic! Also, for you rock/guitar fans the Steve Vai Blu Ray is amazing too.

The Denon setup was quite confusing though, because the system kept thinking it had 7 speakers instead of the 5 it came with, but the sound is killer once I hit all the right buttons.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules