Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mac Book help and recommendations

Mac Book help and recommendations
ashrjordan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 01:50 PM

Hi, I ma graphic design student and after using Macs for the last 9 odd months I want a Macbook pretty bad. But Im not too 'down with the technology'. Im absolutly clueless when it comes down to what Leoperd, Tiger, dual core etc.

So, could I get some recommendations and explanations on which macbook to get, wheather to wait a while for a new macbook release, what hardware to get with it etc.

Much appreciated. Thanks!

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 02:07 PM

What is your budget?
What applications do you want to run?

In May is when new updates will happen by, so if you can wait, I would wait until then. There is even rumors (which my gut says could be true) that a 15" MacBook could be released.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

ashrjordan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 03:34 PM

Thanks for replying. I don't have a budget. I'll have a target once i know what i want though.

I'd want to mainly run Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Acrobat, Safari, iTunes and iLife.

This 15" Macbook, will there be any technical impovements or will it just be the size?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 06:14 PM

The 15" Macbook Pro has a better video card and supports a tad more RAM (3GB vs 2GB), but none of the apps you mentioned would take advantage of the video card and the 3GB RAM upgrade is rather pricey for a student budget.

I'd wait for the release of Leopard (3 weeks away? 2 months away? somewhere in there) and then buy the base MacBook with 2GB RAM and maybe a larger hard drive if you need it.

ashrjordan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 10:52 AM

Okay. Thanks alot. What improvements does Leopard include?

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2007, 11:02 AM

Apple - Apple - Mac OS X - Leopard Sneak Peek

Apple has made public those key features... I am sure we'll all learn more once we get closer to its release.

Forum Links
Forum Rules