Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Shiftless RGB>CMYK

Shiftless RGB>CMYK
killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2003, 12:42 PM

Does anyone know the best way to handle this in Photoshop? I'm ending up spending some serious time playing with colors to make RGB images print without looking oversaturated. Is it possible to just save the color settings in Photoshop, and apply them to each image, or is the problem simply the display settings etc. I have?

A little BG info..

color management is turned off on all my programs. (needs to stay that way if possible)

I'm working on a PB with a display that isn't calibrated, but I have used the display calibration utility that's part of the OS. None of the colors need to be perfect by any means- this is for ads in a trade magazine, not a book of Andy Warhol's prints. Close would be nice though-and that's all I'm really shooting for.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

himself
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 01:42 AM

Colors will always shift when you switch from one color space to another (especially RGB -> CMYK and vice versa). You will need to turn on the color management features of your software. If thats too much work for you, you'll just have to live with the wild color shifts. In the system preferences go to "ColorSync," and from there you choose the profiles for your system. Typically, "Generic" works for RGB and either Generic or ColorMatch for CMYK, with preference for ColorMatch.

If you're using Photoshop, setting up color management gets a little more complicated. If you're in OS X, you can set up color managment by selecting "Color Settings" under the "Photoshop" menu. In the dialog that shows up, you'll want to set up your working color spaces and management policies accordingly. For more control over color space conversion, check the "Advanced Mode" checkbox at the top of the dialog box. The conversion engine and intent (especially intent) affects how the color shifts when switching color spaces (colors will shift regardless). This is not color calibration, but if you're even mildly concerned about color, you'll set up your color calibration as well.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules