Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Gentoo and OSX on PB?

Gentoo and OSX on PB?
killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2004, 11:50 AM

Having gotten into programming a bit, I'd really like to install Gentoo in parallel with OsX. My two requests of the people here...

Can anyone recommend a site that deals with this specific type of install? I've seen similar things for mandrake,debian, and redhat but nothing for Gentoo.

Can gentoo access a HFS+ volume? In other words, can gentoo mount osX's drive and read/write files?
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 12:50 PM

I really dig their forums on gentoo.org . The PPC installation guide is nice to read beforehand. I don't know about the HFS stuff. I am assuming not. But sereiously, do some lurking on the PPC section on the gentoo forums. They have some good info. You might create a FAT or similar partition that both OSes can see in order to have some common ground.

Post your results here!

killer_735  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2004, 02:21 PM

Mostly discovered the typical linux forum stuff-people posting the config lines for their specific hardware. Useful if you can find someone with the same setup as you, but often people just seem to post because they found a solution that they were working on for a long time, not necessarily because it's of any use to anyone.

Lots of info,very little context, but I can see it being useful once you know what the hell people are talking about.

Thinking I'll install gentoo on a whitebox just to get a feel for it, then go back to the forums and get specific info for a PPC install.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 02:31 PM

Re: the forums, I completely agree with your analysis.

What I did was read the install instructions, come up with how I wanted my HD partitions to be, then start the install process. Then whenever I came across a specific problem or error, I headed over to the forums and there were at least a couple of threads that were of help.

killer_735  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by MaxPower:
Re: the forums, I completely agree with your analysis.

What I did was read the install instructions, come up with how I wanted my HD partitions to be, then start the install process. Then whenever I came across a specific problem or error, I headed over to the forums and there were at least a couple of threads that were of help.
Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at-there seems to be a plethora of information on troubleshooting Gentoo, but the only place where anyone tries to explain from the ground up is the PPC handbook, which sucks as a technical document.(Though still above par for computer docs in general) Seems like the best idea is to dive in, let a few things blow up, then dive in again and try and get them to not blow up.

Dr.Michael
Jun 23, 2004, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by killer_735:
Having gotten into programming a bit, I'd really like to install Gentoo in parallel with OsX. My two requests of the people here...

Can anyone recommend a site that deals with this specific type of install? I've seen similar things for mandrake,debian, and redhat but nothing for Gentoo.

Can gentoo access a HFS+ volume? In other words, can gentoo mount osX's drive and read/write files?
I have tried to install Gentoo on my Powerbook. I gave up finally. Although the manual is ok and very detailed its a pain to do all these low level thing.

I installed yellow dog instead. That was alright.

There are tools to access hfs+ like there are tools to access ntfs.

http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/hfs/

But they are slow and in very early developement. They work well but only command line and you have to type your commands for every file (no folders).

I don*t use linux as a test environment on my powerbook any more. Instead I got a cheap box with linux and windows that I access via network. This works much better.

killer_735  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 02:19 PM

Found an excellent resource for the Rev A PB 12"

http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de...werbook.en.php

This guy is installing debian, which has a few different things from Gentoo, but things like making sound work, and especially making the Gefoece 4 420 work (only in 2D!) are covered well enough to use.

Dr.Michael
Jul 20, 2004, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by killer_735:

I just found out that yellow dog can mount hfs+ partitions. Its described in the faq collection of the yellow dog homepage. Works great! And maybe it works also with other distributions.

Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules