Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm afraid of Americans

I'm afraid of Americans
killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2004, 01:32 PM

I really dislike the idea of being judgemental. I work hard to try and give people a chance, but watching people in a mall food court, or in a grocery store, or wherever has really begun to freak me out. Over and over, I see [NOFX] god-fearing redneck nationalists [/NOFX] and I don't hate them, but they do bother the hell out of me.

Example;
I'm from upstate New York. Granted, it's rural, it's redneck, but I had always figured "hell, at least we're not in the bible belt" Yet the strikes against the town are as follows:
1. Four years ago, mayor, also a sheriff, arrested for sodomizing a woman at gunpoint. Bad enough to do anything to someone at gunpoint, he just had to go the extra mile and make it sodomy.
2. Two years ago, interracial couple gets the hell beaten out of them in a downtown bar. FBI looks into it, no convictions because no one will testify.
3. Chapter of the KK freaking K opens up a town over. Come to discover, they'd been operating for years, just went public.
4.Two years ago, local police officer shot in the head during pharmacy holdup, lives, spends six months learning to walk again, then two months later is discovered selling and using coke confinscated from people, along with two other officers. Seems it'd been going on for quite awhile,

Moved to Ithaca, a much more enlightened place, but there are still lots and lots of similar people in the outlying towns, and they SCARE THE PISS OUT OF ME. I look at them, and I feel like they're trapped by ignorance and apathy. Monster truck shirts, mullets, etc etc...they're coming for me!

Your thoughts?
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 9, 2004, 01:38 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 11, 2004 at 02:46 PM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2004, 01:41 PM

If you don't want the KKK in your home town, start an organization which legally protests their organization. We have this little nasty "right to organize" and "freedom of religion" thing going on.

It's America... you have rights... but so do the idiots...

If you do nothing, nothing will happen, and the hate will grow.

deedar
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 01:42 PM

I'm embarassed by manyand afraid of some.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 02:05 PM

I always thought weird that upstate NY had a town called "Sodom". Why would a town keep a name like that?

dcolton
Banned
Apr 9, 2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by killer_735:
I really dislike the idea of being judgemental. I work hard to try and give people a chance, but watching people in a mall food court, or in a grocery store, or wherever has really begun to freak me out. Over and over, I see [NOFX] god-fearing redneck nationalists [/NOFX] and I don't hate them, but they do bother the hell out of me.

Example;
I'm from upstate New York. Granted, it's rural, it's redneck, but I had always figured "hell, at least we're not in the bible belt" Yet the strikes against the town are as follows:
1. Four years ago, mayor, also a sheriff, arrested for sodomizing a woman at gunpoint. Bad enough to do anything to someone at gunpoint, he just had to go the extra mile and make it sodomy.
2. Two years ago, interracial couple gets the hell beaten out of them in a downtown bar. FBI looks into it, no convictions because no one will testify.
3. Chapter of the KK freaking K opens up a town over. Come to discover, they'd been operating for years, just went public.
4.Two years ago, local police officer shot in the head during pharmacy holdup, lives, spends six months learning to walk again, then two months later is discovered selling and using coke confinscated from people, along with two other officers. Seems it'd been going on for quite awhile,

Moved to Ithaca, a much more enlightened place, but there are still lots and lots of similar people in the outlying towns, and they SCARE THE PISS OUT OF ME. I look at them, and I feel like they're trapped by ignorance and apathy. Monster truck shirts, mullets, etc etc...they're coming for me!

Your thoughts?
You've gotta be kidding me. You prance around with the nick 'killer', yet your afraid of some rednecks? Do you think other countries don't have rednecks, skinheads, and other less than desireable people - like violent soccer thugs? Bad things happen everywhere, glad you finally woke up

Turias
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by dcolton:
Bad things happen everywhere, glad you finally woke up
Except in Canada.

dcolton
Banned
Apr 9, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Except in Canada.
Eh?

You guys just harbor the bad people so they can commit crimes elsewhere.

Turias
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 02:14 PM

Eh?

I ain't no Canuck.

I'm just a wanna-be.

killer_735  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2004, 02:21 PM

You've gotta be kidding me. You prance around with the nick 'killer', yet your afraid of some rednecks? Do you think other countries don't have rednecks, skinheads, and other less than desireable people - like violent soccer thugs? Bad things happen everywhere, glad you finally woke up
I think you misunderstand, but my post was unclear on this point.

By "afraid of" I mean not that I sit barricaded at home worrying about the big bad rednecks coming to get me, or that I'm hesitant to walk the streets by any means. By "afraid" I mean I find it really disturbing that these are the people living nearby...I'm interested if other people feel that this is the general pattern in America, to what they attribute it, what they feel is in store for these people, etc.

And who's prancing?javascript:smilie('')

Not I.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
I'm embarrassed by some Americans. But I'm not afraid of them.
I am scared of you.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2004, 02:35 PM

I live in small-town Minnesota. I get a glimpse of current high-school life through my friend's kid sister. She's mixed up with a bad crowd. She and her cousin can't go to the neighboring city to the north because there's a group of guys with a rape-threat out on her. She's afraid to drive around her own town by herself because a kid has threatened to kill her and everyone she loves on multiple occasions. She's hated by most adults because of the rumors that spread, and EVERYONE knows the rumors. They fly around fast. The parents of all these kids are worse off than the kids themselves. Drug-addicts, boozers, and all around immature people.

Small-town Minnesota isn't the friendly place it used to be. Maybe it never was friendly, but I swear things weren't this bad when I was little (and I'm only 22).

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 02:36 PM

Your thoughts?
You need to live in a more urban environment.

killer_735  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2004, 02:46 PM

Please, elaborate. Take note though...the concern I have is more for the idea that so much of america is taken up by what look to me like completely broken, ign'int people. Is it just an economic thing, is it because out schools suck...what, and is there any solution at all besides getting north of the border ASAP.

Xeo...
that's 'd up right there.

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 04:02 PM

BOO!

(Did I scare you?)

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
because there's a group of guys with a rape-threat out on her.
what? that is mental.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
I ain't no Canuck.

I'm just a wanna-be.
Me too. They got it good in Canada.

deedar
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by RAzaRazor:
BOO!

(Did I scare you?)

Yup! Some of the very scariest are from your neck of the woods!!!!

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 9, 2004, 04:21 PM

I visited upstate NY last Summer. Stayed in the Scroon Lake area. LOVED IT. If I hit the lotto or inherit a load of cash, I am quitting my job and moving there. I wandered many small town downtowns and talked to the local people as much as I could... they are a poorer sort than you find elsewhere, but they are intelligent and friendly.

If you think Americans has a patent on sin, you are sadly mistaken. For example, Toronto seems like a nice big city. Clean, low crime, multicultural... yada yada yada... Well, I happen to know a few former Russians living in the area who are a part of the mob. Putting pressure on businessmen, smuggling cigarettes, shipping cuban cigars across to the USA, laundering money, selling major amounts of drugs... and these are nice normal looking people. You'd never guess what they do for a living. Give lots to charity, but they'd make sure you "disappeared" if you crossed em wrong.

All I can say is, usually if there is a low crime rate it's usually because someone isn't looking hard enough to find the crime. Just be glad that the people you mentioned got caught and are paying for their sins.

As for the KKK. They do have a free right to their speech... But so do you. If they ever rally and demonstrate, be right down there and let them and your community know that you oppose them. Sometimes all it takes is a small leader to step up to a bully and everyone will rally around the good leader and knock the bully down.

quandarry
Apr 9, 2004, 04:27 PM

Eh?

proof please.

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 9, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
proof please.
Canadian Terrorist Family: http://www.catholicexchange.com/vm/i...1&art_id=22951

Canada - A potential Terrorist Haven: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,91884,00.html

Canada - Base For Terrorists: http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...le.asp?ID=4669

Canadian pleads gulity to Terrorist charges: http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/02/10/jabarah_040210

Organized crime and Terrorist activity in Canada: http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

etc., etc. etc. etc.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2004, 04:41 PM

Example;

Your thoughts?
Where you from? I started out in Warsaw, moved to Trumansburg, then on to Ithaca. It's been a bigger city each time I moved. waxcrash is right about living in a more urban area. Hell, Buffalo is WAY more cosmopolitan than Ithaca.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

quandarry
Apr 9, 2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
nice try zimph....

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 9, 2004, 04:51 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 11, 2004 at 02:46 PM. )

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 9, 2004, 04:52 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 11, 2004 at 02:47 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2004, 04:55 PM

nice try zimph....

"Zimph"?

Did Kevin's regular log-in get banned?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2004, 05:01 PM

I live at a bible college now... I've forgotten what crime is... crime here is being caught making out with your girl friend in the parkinglot late at night... SCANDAL!

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 9, 2004, 05:05 PM

nice try zimph....

What the hell is a zimph ?

You'll have to excuse me, but I don't speak canadian.

deedar
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Dude. You're in Placerville.

That's where they sniff No-Doze... and then get really mean.
All right, all right - busted. It's damn near as scary here - and for similar reasons - as it is in Salt Lake!

quandarry
Apr 9, 2004, 05:09 PM

What the hell is a zimph ?

You'll have to excuse me, but I don't speak canadian.

hehe good one...

did i mention i was canadian?

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 05:10 PM

Canadian Terrorist Family: http://www.catholicexchange.com/vm/i...1&art_id=22951

Canada - A potential Terrorist Haven: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,91884,00.html

Canada - Base For Terrorists: http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...le.asp?ID=4669

Canadian pleads gulity to Terrorist charges: http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/02/10/jabarah_040210

Organized crime and Terrorist activity in Canada: http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

etc., etc. etc. etc.

And yet, the worst terrorist attacks in the U.S. were done by Americans...
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

quandarry
Apr 9, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by angaq0k:
or saudi arabians trained by americans...

"ok...so you want passenger airline flight training but skip the landing and takeoff...ok, as long as you got the bucks i don't care if you stop the plane with a building".
( Last edited by quandarry; Apr 9, 2004 at 05:24 PM. )

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 9, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by angaq0k:
You need to get your info some other places, because my sources tell me it was done by 15 Saudis and 4 other lowlifes from a few other places. None of them were American.

And yeah, I know a few of them were here legally, still doesnt make them American.

quandarry
Apr 9, 2004, 05:22 PM

not to mention that if you admit to talking to god you're considered insane by a court that makes you swear on the bible before stating that god told you to kill.

quandarry
Apr 9, 2004, 05:28 PM

And yeah, I know a few of them were here legally, still doesnt make them American.
zimph...

they all entered the country legally thru u.s. ports even tho most were on f.b.i watch lists.

OH-N'omac
Apr 9, 2004, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
You need to live in a more urban environment.
What he said.

Cities have their problems too, but you might prefer urban problems to the kind of thing that goes on in the sticks.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2004, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
what? that is mental.
Tell me about it. She, her boyfriend, and her cousin went there to drive around and 4 cars started chasing them all around town. After about 10 minutes, they entered the interstate and took the next exit. On that next exit, they were able to box her in. Apparently they would have done it right then (so the rumor went) except the boyfriend was there and they had been on the phone with the cops the entire time. The police never did go help them, though. They haven't gone back since.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 07:11 PM

Tell me about it. She, her boyfriend, and her cousin went there to drive around and 4 cars started chasing them all around town. After about 10 minutes, they entered the interstate and took the next exit. On that next exit, they were able to box her in. Apparently they would have done it right then (so the rumor went) except the boyfriend was there and they had been on the phone with the cops the entire time. The police never did go help them, though. They haven't gone back since.
It's so sad to hear that, just sounds so extreme. i guess it might end up coming to her leaving town, imagine something like that being forced upon you.

I hope it ends up without anyone getting hurt.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2004, 07:29 PM

Where upstate did all this happen? I'm in the Syracuse area, and it sounds like most of this stuff would have made the local news. Not doubting you, just curious.
Nemo me impune lacesset

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 07:33 PM

Let her use her second amendment rights...
Packing heat is a pretty big deterrent.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Let her use her second amendment rights...
What good would joining a well-regulated militia for the purpose of keeping the Queen of England out of the United States do?

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2004, 08:45 PM

Americans are no worse than people from anywhere else. It's just there's a lot of them and their media reaches out to the rest of the world far more than any other country. Bad people do bad things everywhere. The world in general seems dumb because the people reporting 'the news' to us dramatise it so we'll keep watching.

brapper
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2004, 08:59 PM

Eh?

we give refuge to those who need a new home, to those who seek a better life.
we do not give refuge knowingly to those 'bad people.'
And really if the world saw America as being as accepting, as giving, or as kind as they see Canada, I'm sure they'd have a lot less problems with you all.

brapper
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2004, 09:05 PM

etc., etc. etc. etc.

Buddy, we don't want them here either, but notice how while here they behave themselves.
Not saying that American's deserve to be terrorized, no one does. But really, them being here is a symptom of them harboring hate for Americans. It's not we knowingly let them in, it's just that given the choice theyd rather come here if they must come to North America.
Our only fault is that we're more tolerant, and I'd rather be tolerant than intolerant.

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 10, 2004, 12:33 AM

I have a message for the Newbie who keeps insisting that I'm Zimph.....

I finally figured out who this Zimph character is, and if you keep insisting that I am Zimphire, then I will have to conclude that you are a delusional liar, because I am not Zimphire, I am PacHead, and I've been posting here for the past four years.

It's pretty bad debating technique to accuse other posters of being imposters.

You asked for proof, I provided some, you replied by accusing me of being somebody I am not.

So, give it a rest.

killer_735  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2004, 01:22 AM

Is it me, or are a lot of flame wars springing up lately? Discord! Mwa ha!

So a couple of people have asked where this happened-it was all in the Lockport-Medina area, about halfway between Rochester and Buffalo. Nothing noteworthy and freakish has happened here in Ithaca, though there are a fair number of really scary people.

Someone mentioned Buffalo being more cosmopolitan..think I have to disagree, perhaps flagrantly. Ithaca has an ivy league college..and Buffalo has ghetto. Albright-Knox is a cool gallery, but in terns of a big picture I think Ithaca's got it beat. Not to mention Ithaca's climate is like Jamaica compared to Buffalo. But I digress....that's not really the point.

I don't think about crime so much, as what the freakish events I detailed above say about what people's lives are like. Everyone seems either chronically depressed or so totally vacant that their happiness is more of a model-glue-fume related thing. ie.Blissfully ignorant. I'm kinda wondering if people feel that this is true in other parts of the country....is it a national thing, a local thing, or just my impression? And just what do you think is the cause?

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 10, 2004, 06:06 PM

A cool city in upstate NY is Glens Falls. There is an excellent museum containing some very famous local and world wide artists. And an awesome restaurant called "Fiddleheads"! If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend eating there.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 09:02 PM

Yup, america has got a lotta nuts. Canada has no nuts because all ours go south

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

ambush
Banned
Apr 10, 2004, 09:37 PM

Example;

Your thoughts?
This is a result of low education.

quandarry
Apr 10, 2004, 09:55 PM

I have a message for the Newbie who keeps insisting that I'm Zimph.....

I finally figured out who this Zimph character is, and if you keep insisting that I am Zimphire, then I will have to conclude that you are a delusional liar, because I am not Zimphire, I am PacHead, and I've been posting here for the past four years.

It's pretty bad debating technique to accuse other posters of being imposters.

You asked for proof, I provided some, you replied by accusing me of being somebody I am not.

So, give it a rest.

never heard of zimphire?!!?

less than 200 posts in four years...woo...smacks of a nic dug up from the past.

i gotta go have coffee and a poop and then a watch a movie.

ps...callind me a dillusional liar is pretty close to a personal attack as i never lied. suspecting you of being zimphire is not lying...it's just a notion...and really i don't care one flying monkey fart who you are.

but i suspect you may be one of citizens that killer_735 is concerned about.

but carry on...

i won't report you this time...

i'm now resting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules