Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Do CD-Rs have to be 'burned-in'?

Do CD-Rs have to be 'burned-in'?
killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2004, 11:21 AM

So I finally got a car with a decent CD player that can handle cd-rs. I noticed, though that a freshly burned cd doesn't read so well. It skips more often, and the player has trouble when I tell it to skip a track. The problem seems to be eliminated, however, when I take a cd and play it through two or three times in another cd player. Afterwards they play fine in the car, don't skip and can switch tracks no problem.

My hypothesis:
The faster you burn cd-rs, the lighter the burn marks are, meaning that a slightly sloppier job was done of writing the data. When you play a burned cd in a regular player, the laser heats up the dark spots more than the light spots,(even though it's a read laser, not a burn laser) meaning the burns get a bit darker and hence, more readable.

Can anyone confirm or deny this, or offer another explanation?
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

BERN1E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 07:24 PM

Sounds good to me! I have heard stranger things.

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Jul 17, 2004, 08:36 PM

I've burned lots of CD-R discs at high speed for play in different cars' players, and they all play fine.

Maybe your player isn't as hot as you think.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 02:11 AM

After you burn it just let it go through and verify, it only takes a few minutes.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 18, 2004, 02:51 AM

My guess is just that certain players are more picky than others, depending upon which media one uses, which drive one burns it on, and which drive one tries to play it back on.

booboo
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 10:13 AM

Although your 'theory' sounds plausible, it doesn't really hold up. Some CD's will actually produce fewer errors at higher speed burns.

I would suggest you try different media, perhaps with a different dye colour even.

I have a regular CD player - from before the days on CD-R compatible domestic players, and it will pretty much read anything thrown at it. However, some brands take it a while to recognize as a readable disk, whereas others act like regular CD's and are recognised immediately . . .

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2004, 03:33 PM

I've had very good luck with the Memorex "black" and TDK "black" disks. The black coating seems to work well with my family's car audio equipment (and home audio for that matter).
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules