Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PowerBook G4 + 23" Apple Cinema HD Display

17" PowerBook G4 + 23" Apple Cinema HD Display
MacPsycho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 09:42 AM

Has anyone got experience using a PowerBook G4 1.33 with a new 23" Apple Cinema Display.

I enjoy the non-clutter of just having the PowerBook on my desk, though I'm tempted to get the 23" Display. The display is so vibrant and a great size.

Are there any issues to consider with using the PowerBook with the Display.

Does anyone have a photo of their setup with a Cinema Display.

Cheers, MacPsycho
AlPB 17" G4 1.33 | 512MB | SD | 80GB

flanders
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2004, 10:24 AM

I enjoy using my pb 15 1.33 with a dell 20" flat panel and an iCurve (plus BT mouse and keys). it's still got the clean look plus I get a lot more screen space to spread out in. The 23" from apple is very nice, but the price is a bit too high IMO. The apple 20" is competitive, until you look at the new dell 20" wide-screen at $799. I hope apple will be reducing prices on the displays soon but who can tell.

drpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by flanders:
The apple 20" is competitive, until you look at the new dell 20" wide-screen at $799. I hope apple will be reducing prices on the displays soon but who can tell.
The new wide screen is on sale for $639! Dell 2005FPW

I have the Dell Ultra Sharp 2001FP too. Very nice.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 02:40 PM

I'm using an older Apple 20" with my PB17 as we speak. It's great -- I typically put my email window on the PB17 and use the external as my main desktop.

The big issue I have is the connectors -- I'm plugged into the DVI, ethernet, and USB ports on the right side. That places the monitor further away from the PB (the monitor is on the right).

The big advantage to me is the enhanced brightness -- I can keep my window shades open and still have a usable monitor. In the summer, the PB screen looks dim on a sunny day.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by MacPsycho:
Has anyone got experience using a PowerBook G4 1.33 with a new 23" Apple Cinema Display.
Does anyone have a photo of their setup with a Cinema Display.
I use my rev B 1GHz 12" PowerBook with a 20" ACD at home. It's great.

(click for the full size version)

MacPsycho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2004, 04:25 AM

Nice setup Simon, the clean look I want to maintain.

I've heard you have to connect a USB device to the PowerBook to get it to use full resolution on the Cinema Display (if you only mirror the display it wont fill the whole screen). Any experience with this?

Cheers, MacPsycho

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by MacPsycho:
Nice setup Simon, the clean look I want to maintain.

I've heard you have to connect a USB device to the PowerBook to get it to use full resolution on the Cinema Display (if you only mirror the display it wont fill the whole screen). Any experience with this?

Cheers, MacPsycho
Here's the deal. There are three display modes you can use: Mirroring, spanning and closed-lid mode. I am using the latter. You chose between spanning and mirroring in System Preferences -> Displays.

� Mirroring will display the internal screen's image onto your ACD. You probably don't want that, because the supported resolution on the ACD are 1920x1200, 1280x800, and 1024x640 but not the 1280x854 of your PowerBook which means you'll probably get black bars or a fuzzy image due to interpolation.

� Spanning works fine. Just attach the external screen to the PowerBook's DVI output and you're set. Use System Preferences -> Displays to arrange the display images with respect to each other.

� Closed-lid mode is when you do not use the internal screen at all (see my pic, the PowerBook is closed, only the external display is running). The internal screen is turned off and the entire video output gets routed to you external screen. For this to work the PowerBook needs to be connected to AC power and have an external USB keyboard/mouse attached. This is how you do it: Put the PowerBook to sleep, close the lid, attach the display, mouse and keyboard; then, as soon as you plug in AC power, the PowerBook will wake up and display to the external display. If you remove AC power, the PowerBook will go to sleep immediately. It will resume displaying to the internal screen as soon as it wakes up with an opened lid.

HTH. Have fun!

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2004, 07:54 PM

simon

do you know if that works if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse?

just asking.

(also - is there a way to have a wireless connection between the external monitor and the closed lid powerbook?)

Baldrick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2004, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by icibaqu:
simon

do you know if that works if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse?

just asking.

(also - is there a way to have a wireless connection between the external monitor and the closed lid powerbook?)
I'm using the same setup as Simon with a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard plugged into the USB hub at the back of the monitor and it works fine
12" PB revB

MacPsycho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2004, 09:01 PM

Thanks Simon, closed lid mode sounds the way to go for optimum resolution.

I'll been told that bluetooth devices will still work with the PowerBook in closed lid mode, so you can still use wireless keyboard etc.

Cheers, MacPsycho

tpxstyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2004, 03:05 AM

Under the papers in that keyboard drawer I have a 15" 1.5ghz pb powering the Cinema DIsplay 23 (lid-closed). Cables run around the back of the desk and up through the back to the display. I use a BT keyboard to further minimize cable clutter. Didn't get the BT mouse though(I need 2 buttons). the setup usually looks really clean, but i've been really messy lately.. sorry.. i'm a college student!

Forum Links
Forum Rules