Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook - Restoring to Original State?

Powerbook - Restoring to Original State?
drpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2007, 01:30 AM

Looking for some quick help.

- Figured out -
( Last edited by drpepper; Feb 7, 2007 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Solved Issue)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 02:50 PM

Out of interest, what was the problem? What was the solution?

drpepper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2007, 04:05 PM

The "problem" was just that I was doing something that I had never done before and so I was a bit unsure. I was hoping to get a quick response from someone who might have been online at the time, but that didn't happen. Once I figured it out, I would have deleted my post had the "edit/delete" button actually had a delete option that I could find.

Anyway, I sold a PowerBook on ebay and wanted to be sure that the new owner is greeted with the the whole welcome and setup process rather than having any of leftover information or passwords.

Simple enough, the "solution" was to restart and hold down the "C" key rather than to try to reinstall from within OS X (which I did first). Then shut down the computer once the installation gets to the welcome and setup screen. Subsequent restarts take you to the setup screen.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 04:37 PM

Wipe the drive and reinstall the os. After install is complete, shut down the computer. (don't for get to eject the disc) When the new user tunrs it on it will do the whole welcome, you need to setup a new user thing.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Forum Links
Forum Rules