Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The official Leopard thread

The official Leopard thread (Page 29)
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 10:12 AM

Good money says 10.5 does not include a decent theming engine. (No insider info — just guessing based on history.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 10:17 AM

I'd agree. I've never heard anything to ever indicate Apple gives a damn about theming.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I'd agree. I've never heard anything to ever indicate Apple gives a damn about theming.
Ever? Does copland count?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
That doesn't really indicate that Apple cares. It indicates the Apple cared several years ago, before Steve Jobs took over.
Chuck
___

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 04:53 PM

Since I've never heard of it, no obviously.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 05:06 PM

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That doesn't really indicate that Apple cares. It indicates the Apple cared several years ago, before Steve Jobs took over.
Mac OS 8.5, however, came out after Steve Jobs took over, and it had themes.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 06:44 PM

It had theming support, but it didn't have themes. It only had exactly one theme, the Platinum one.

Mac OS 8 had schemes (which later might have been called themes, I'm not sure), but that wasn't really the same thing as a different theme, just colour variations.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Mac OS 8.5, however, came out after Steve Jobs took over, and it had themes.
It had the theming engine that had already been developed, yes, but Apple (as far as I can recall) refused to open the format for people to create new themes.
Chuck
___

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 07:22 PM

Are you sure about that? I remember quite a few third-party themes (and sound sets) existing for OS 8.

Yeah, they could have reverse engineered the format, but then why did Apple have the option to change the themes right there in the GUI, in the Appearance control panel? Seems that if this were a feature that was not supposed to be used, it would be buried away in the preferences somewhere and you'd need a third-party app to activate it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 07:38 PM

Are you sure about that? I remember quite a few third-party themes (and sound sets) existing for OS 8.
They reverse-engineered it. That's why Kaleidoscope themes were still way more numerous, as I recall — the format was at least documented.

but then why did Apple have the option to change the themes right there in the GUI, in the Appearance control panel?
I'm not sure. As I recall, the menu was normally about as populated as OS X's theme menu. Maybe they originally intended to premiere Aqua in OS 9 or something (actually, they did have a special theme for OS 9 in Classic). At any rate, Apple never really opened theming to third parties and quietly killed it shortly thereafter when OS X came out. They even threatened to sue the creators of theming software for OS 9.
Chuck
___

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 07:44 PM

Maybe they originally intended to premiere Aqua in OS 9 or something (actually, they did have a special theme for OS 9 in Classic).
They did? I knew of a few Aqua themes, but they were all third-party.

At any rate, OS 8 came out a long time before Aqua was introduced, so I doubt Aqua was in the pipeline yet at that time.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 08:03 PM

They did? I knew of a few Aqua themes, but they were all third-party.
It wasn't Aqua. It was a modified Platinum with all the window controls placed on the left side like in Aqua and with Aqua menus. Ars Technica's review of DP3 includes some screenshots.
Chuck
___

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 10:10 PM

The theme format for OS 9 was a resource file, with some unencrypted images. The Extras.rsrc of today is actually the same format, just with different images. In the original OS X betas you could actually use OS 9 themes in place of the Extras.rsrc.

Apple tried to scare the original authors of theme editing programs with cease and desists, but given the programs around today that can modify the Extras.rsrc, they failed to really shut anything down.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2007, 01:45 AM

Since I've never heard of it, no obviously.
Really? Weird.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2007, 08:32 AM

Really? Weird.
Not really (Unless you think I'm more knowledgeable about macs than I am). I've been using Macs all my life, but I never had a chance to own one till 2001, and I jumped the OS 9 ship as soon as I could (and realized I should).

geirisk8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 06:18 PM

Hey, I just installed 9a527 and noticed that the battery meter in the menubar doesn't really fit in. It's white on the inside when all other items fit perfectly in.

Is it like this in your menubar aswell ?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2007, 07:26 PM

Yes. The others use transparency.

geirisk8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 10:00 PM

Yeah okay.. sorry for my english, i'm icelandic. But you think they'll fix the transperancy in the battery item ?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by geirisk8 View Post
Yeah okay.. sorry for my english, i'm icelandic. But you think they'll fix the transperancy in the battery item ?
No, batteries are not transparent, I suspect they may invert the icon so its a black battery with a white power symbol when the computer is plugged in.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 16, 2007, 01:21 PM

You and me both. I don't feel like waiting till themepark gets updated 6 months later to customize my comp.
It's why I don't like any one company having an monopoly on theme makers or "readers" Unless of course that person is Apple. Cause at least then it would be done right, and wouldn't be a patched mess.
It had the theming engine that had already been developed, yes, but Apple (as far as I can recall) refused to open the format for people to create new themes.
And they sucked for not doing such a thing.
Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Apple tried to scare the original authors of theme editing programs with cease and desists, but given the programs around today that can modify the Extras.rsrc, they failed to really shut anything down.
Yeah I remember this happening.. Sprocket.. and a few others got killed. That is why I named my theme "Sosumi" as a ironic joke on Apple.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Yeah I remember this happening.. Sprocket.. and a few others got killed. That is why I named my theme "Sosumi" as a ironic joke on Apple.
I remember Sprocket getting killed. There was also an OS X native beta of Theme Machine that got killed too. None of this stuff was ever really publicly distributed from what I remember, everyone was scared of Apple.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2007, 05:44 PM

Not really (Unless you think I'm more knowledgeable about macs than I am). I've been using Macs all my life, but I never had a chance to own one till 2001, and I jumped the OS 9 ship as soon as I could (and realized I should).
Aw you missed all the fun in the mid to late 90's!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2007, 06:09 PM

Aw you missed all the fun in the mid to late 90's!
Theming-wise, yes. But I was still in my school labs, cursing the abysmal Centris or the general crashability of OS 7 (I believe).

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2007, 06:22 AM

Theming-wise, yes. But I was still in my school labs, cursing the abysmal Centris or the general crashability of OS 7 (I believe).
That was more like early to mid 90s.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I remember Sprocket getting killed. There was also an OS X native beta of Theme Machine that got killed too. None of this stuff was ever really publicly distributed from what I remember, everyone was scared of Apple.
I don't think Sprocket got killed by Apple. The coder just stopped coding it. Theme Machine did however I believe.

Sprocket actually let you edit things that the Theme Machine did not. I used them back and forth.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 08:31 AM

That was more like early to mid 90s.
When they were new, yeah, but some places kept them forever. I was lucky to see a few beige G3s and OS 8 eventually.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 01:51 PM

Well by fun I really meant all the horribly trouble Apple was in.

Kate
Senior User
Sep 21, 2007, 06:13 AM

Hm, in addition to the old "extras" (what a name! geez) we will see a bundle of PDFs combined with XML files, which, hm, will provide a chance for Apple to clear the GUI mess up a bit. I hope they do. I fear they just add a new type of clutter combined with a secret interface machine.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 21, 2007, 06:38 AM

If Vista is themeable, Apple will have to join the ranks. Like it or not.

PaperNotes
Sep 21, 2007, 06:51 AM

If they do, Apple will only leave the colors of the scroll bar and window widgets up to user control.

Current build of Leopard is now 9A640+.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 21, 2007, 07:54 AM

Apple will never make Mac OS X themeable. Why would Apple foil it's branding efforts by allowing users to apply any old theme?

Perhaps one of Apple's worst blunders was giving developers the option to put a brushed-metal interface on their apps. When this happened, developer apps instantly got separated into two visually different categories. When some developers saw how lax Apple was with guidelines, some even created their own interfaces. Branding was somewhat lost.

Apple is correcting this blunder in Leopard...and not by accident either. It's deliberate. Apple is trying to unify all their products under one visual branding. Leopard on your computer, or OS X on your iPhone, iPod, or iTV, now all share common elements.

Last but not least, nice resolution independent themes would be much more difficult to create under Leopard. Resolution independence was another reason to get rid of the brushed-metal appearance which was more difficult to make scale properly. The gray gradient in Leopard scales easily.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 08:23 AM

^ yep.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 10:52 AM

If Vista is themeable, Apple will have to join the ranks.
Umm, no. Not gonna happen. The reasons have been given above.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 05:30 PM

Maybe they originally intended to premiere Aqua in OS 9 or something (actually, they did have a special theme for OS 9 in Classic)..
Nah. The original plan was to actually port Platinum (the Mac OS 8/9 theme) over to Mac OS X. But according to the lead the designer at the time Apple's design team could only port about 90% of the interface over properly, leaving around 10% out of focus. That's when they decided to go with something radical and new. This turned out to be Aqua, as seen in the 10.0 Cheetah release.

It was a pretty interesting article to read, can't find it back though.

poocat
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2007, 11:03 PM

What's the latest build?

Seriously theming discussions are OT. Especially the years old Unsanity fight.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 12:01 AM

New build == 9A559. Apparently it's stable enough that it might be a release candidate? There are only two known bugs: one with Archive and Install, and one with HP printer drivers.

We're getting closer...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2007, 12:41 AM

I think either next or release after next will be GM, with a release date the closest Friday in a month from the date. (I.E. if the GM is released on Wed. September 26th, then Leopard will ship on Fri, October 26.)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 12:42 AM

Archive and install works with intel macs. Sort of. I had to manually copy over my applications and /Library content myself.

Other than that it's good. Some nice new visual touches. The Finder pill-button bug is gone too.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2007, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
The Finder pill-button bug is gone too.
What Finder pill button?
Vandelay Industries

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Archive and install works with intel macs. Sort of. I had to manually copy over my applications and /Library content myself.
If I'm not mistaken, the bug is exclusive to PPC Macs, actually. If you're doing an install on a PPC Mac, don't select Archive and Install, unless you have a good working backup of your personal files.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 04:04 AM

Which you really should have anyway, considering you're running a beta OS on your machine.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
What Finder pill button?
The right-most button in the Finder titlebar.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 04:30 AM

FrontRow is almost fixed. They just need to restore the old way of scrubbing through video files (30s forward, 5s back) and I'm a happy camper. Oh, and the interface sounds too.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 04:34 AM

And this close to finish, we might put a final nail in the coffin for people who think Leopard would be any more resolution independent than Tiger was :/

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 04:37 AM

But on the bright side: As of this build the iCal icon now updates the date without having to be launched. Can you believe it?

PaperNotes
Sep 23, 2007, 07:07 AM

Front Row is an app now. Scroll bars still aren't consistent

PaperNotes
Sep 23, 2007, 07:08 AM

The battery icon has been updated

PaperNotes
Sep 23, 2007, 07:12 AM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Front Row is an app now. Scroll bars still aren't consistent
Consistent with what? Scrollbars look fine now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules