Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > airport range in ti? how bad is BAD?

airport range in ti? how bad is BAD?
playby
Sep 24, 2002, 08:29 PM

I have often read in these forums about the terrible range of an airport car in a tibook. however, i have never read what kind of range one gets. Im looking to equip my PB and my girlfriends ibook with the cards and would like to know what kind of distance i can put between us while networking.

p.s. please forgive if this question has been answered a million times already, i cant get the maccn search to function

thanks!

b

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2002, 09:11 PM

The original TiBook has absolutely awful AirPort reception. Where a Pismo gets four bars, a TiBook could have already lost signal. TiBooks' AirPort is much more directional; the Pismo and iBook notebooks feature relatively omnidirectional coverage for a greater distance.

You might be better off with a third-party card in your TiBook if you're a stickler for range, but if you find integration (in both respects: Apple-branded software and internally-stored card with nothing to take out/break off) more valuable, the AirPort card could be for you.

Later TiBook revisions (550-megahertz TiBooks and up) offer slightly increased range.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 10:36 PM

On original Ti500 ....30-60 feet depending on the direction the wind is blowing (LOL)!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2002, 12:05 AM

I've found that Airport reception for my TiBook seems to be greatly affected by the flow of chi in the room. You might want to buy a Feng Shui book to help you get better range.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2002, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by romeosc:
On original Ti500 ....30-60 feet depending on the direction the wind is blowing (LOL)!
BULL SHEEEEEEEEEETTT
;-)

lucky if you could get 30 feet out of the old ones, i should know i have one

try this

that should help
( Last edited by SOLIDAge; Sep 25, 2002 at 02:54 AM. )

nextadvantage
Sep 25, 2002, 12:24 AM

I have had airport since my PB/233 using a skyline card and my Ti667 gets about half the range. 150 feet my ass... mine drops off from 15-30 feet. using my airport 1 @ home and 30-50 feet @ work. Most of the time I have to hold my hand on the corner of my ti (Near the airport card) to keep my connection. I am really thinking of modifying my airport at home with an external antenna.

I am very disappointed.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 25, 2002, 01:50 AM

I happen to have a pismo and a tibook400 here.

I have an antenna range extender I made on my base station.

I am getting 120ft from the base with signal.
the pismo gets all four bars.

The tibook gets 2-3 but still gets signal. it's a little sensitive- if I shift direction, it will lose signal, but I'm also going around corners, through walls, it's not a straight line of sight.

The house is 30-40 years old, if that means anything to you.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2002, 03:05 AM

I get 90 feet and my base is behind a 1280 Epson printer and a currently worthless HP Scanner (no drivers, you bastards!).

I've got a DVI 667. I also have a Pismo 500 on the system and it gets a little better range. I'm thinking that some people who get almost no reception are in an area that just kills the signal for some reason. Don't know, it just doesn't seem right to only get 30 feet.

PeteWK

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2002, 09:48 AM

Apple's changed something in the newer TiBooks after much uproar from angry, original TiBook adopters. 30 feet is an unacceptable reality.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2002, 01:44 PM

Might want to have a gander at this thread at Ars.

davcomp
Sep 25, 2002, 03:32 PM

One of my friends pointed the thread on Ars out to me earlier, and yes, it does work! My Powerbook now gets reception in many places where it previously didn't.

Don't ask me how or why this works, but it definitely does (on mine anyway!)

Good Luck!
Drew - GO BOILERS!
http://www.davcomp.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules