Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > VPN on 10.2 using Airport Connected Pismo - Help Needed

VPN on 10.2 using Airport Connected Pismo - Help Needed
DaveMacNN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2002, 09:13 AM

I was wondering is anyone has had success connecting to a company VPN from a airport connected powerbook?

For some reason I cannot.

I don't believe it is my settings for when I turn off Airport and plug the Pismo onto my home network router so as to access the internet on a hard line I can connect no problem via 10.2's built in VPN.

But, if I attempt to connect while wirelessly connected to the internet using the same settings get timeout errors and cannot make a connection.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this?

My ultimate goal is to be able to check my company email from the comfortable confines of my coach with no wires. I have to use a VPN. I could check email via www.web2mail.com but it is not very elegant. ;)

Thanks for your help,

Dave

davcomp
Nov 25, 2002, 03:21 PM

Hey, I've been watching your thread for a couple of days now. Since no one has responded I think I might have some advice. I go to Purdue, who also uses VPN for their wireless networks. I know the mac user group here had lots of issues with it when 10.2 came out, and various fixes worked for some people, but not others, it was strange. I suggest you download the absolute newest drivers from Cisco that you can get your hands on, because we did and it cleared up all issues we were having. Hope that helps!
Drew - GO BOILERS!
http://www.davcomp.com/

chromos
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2002, 10:28 PM

I also use VPN with my Pismo, although what I've found is that the AirPort base station will not do IPSec pass-through if NAT is enabled on the base station (i.e., distributing IP addresses). I tried for a long time to get VPN to work using the flying saucer, with no luck. So, I had to purchase a 3rd party wireless access point (a Netgear MR814, $50 after $30 rebate).

The first inclination that something was weird was that I was able to connect to my company's VPN when I was surfing at local internet cafes, but not at home. I do believe that the flying saucer will work, but only if it's used solely as an Ethernet/wireless bridge, and not as a router; I think there's someting about Apple's NAT implementation that is not good for pass-through. So, if you have an extra router laying about, you can place that upstream of your base station and that should work. Else, you can buy a combination base station/router like I did.

PS. My company uses a Cisco 3000 concentrator and I have the latest drivers for it.

[EDIT: Oops, just re-read your post and it looks like you're using PPTP to connect, not IPSec. Sorry, what I said may be irrelevant.]

pg9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2002, 01:35 PM

I have been using VPN on PowerBooks for the past 2 years. Currently on a Pismo and TiBook using Mac OS 10.2.2 with airport and Cisco 777 DSL modem. My company uses Cisco 3000 VPN.

The only thing is that I had to do was enable NAT on the airport.

Forum Links
Forum Rules