Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > GIVE ME A 15.4" Alumabook!!!

GIVE ME A 15.4" Alumabook!!!
skidaniel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2003, 07:26 PM

PLEASE APPLE, I am begging you, release this laptop next Tuesday!!

I am still using my P.O.S. Compaq laptop, and have been waiting to make the switch since last December. Hopefully we will see this machine soon. I have read all the threads on all the sites, and I cannot believe how many people are in the same predicament I am in. Right now Apple has somewhere between 2 and 3% marketshare. Maybe they can raise that by putting out the next 15" Powerbook and satisfy the silent (or not so silent, in my case) masses of us who want it and are waiting to switch.

A few weeks ago MacNews.Net.Tc reported production of the new 15.4" Pbook "in large quantities." Anyone heard any updates?

Here's to hoping we get a fantastic new laptop next week.

-Dan

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 08:28 PM

Dan,

You're preaching to the choir, dude!

RGB
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 08:29 PM

I wanted to wait SO BADLY for an Aluminum update to the 15 incher, but I had just too good a deal on the Titanium model through my mom's school to pass up. For the sake of my sanity, I hope it doesn't come out for a little while!

www.PowerPage.org has it being released on May 19th. I don't see it coming until later than that, even.

jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 09:13 PM

Agreed. I am also waiting. The old 15" is too old, the 12" is too big, and the 17" is too big/costly.

Give me the AI15"!!!

todrain
Senior User
Apr 23, 2003, 09:14 PM

Apple won't release new 15s until the 17s hav been around for a while... most retailers are just getting there 17" units now, and would be pissed if one month after they came in, they were updated (and you won't get a new 15 without a new 17)

Late June - Mid July announcement and maybe mid august ship is about the best you'll see.

Blame all those delays from the 17!

mcs37
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by jetta_gt:
Agreed. I am also waiting. The old 15" is too old, the 12" is too big, and the 17" is too big/costly.
I'll hold off on the 15.4" alubook. I'm waiting for the 12.1" PB Rev B!

U n i o n 0015
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 09:46 PM

I quit waiting and bought a 1Ghz 15" TiBook. Needless to say, I love it. And I got it for $2300 so it was nearly $700 less than the 17" I was planning on getting!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the laptops offered by Apple. By roommate got a 12" and it's fantastic. I just couldn't get it because I need a big screen for my eyes. I read a lot about the 15" feeling weak on this board and I just don't see it. This is a great machine...the keyboard rocks...the screen rocks (no dead pixels AT ALL)...and it's fast. I love it.

@ho
Apr 23, 2003, 09:54 PM

I have an ibook 500 and I am ready to do more things with my laptop but need faster procesor, larger screen, better looking = pb 15 Albook

So please apple I have all the money to but it for a good price and maybe a new ipod, etc.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 10:21 PM

I don't know if I necessarily would want anyone doing this...but...

Why don't you write him at [email protected]? Tell him in a kind and friendly manner that you're waiting with baited breath for the new 15.4" PowerBook with the aluminum enclosure, Airport Extreme, Built-in Bluetooth, etc.

Please, if you do this, be nice and not off the wall.

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2003, 05:51 AM

Same here... I need Airport Extreme. That, and the Ti paint flaking issue, is the only thing that is keeping me from buying a 15" PowerBook. Of course the speed improvements are welcome too

katorga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 06:45 AM

A new 15" pbook will not cut into 17" sales. Not everyone wants to pay $3K for a 17". Not everyone wants a laptop as large as the 17" (or as small as the 12").

The numbre of consumers who say, "hmm no 15" models I guess I'll settle for the largest most expensive model", is probably very small.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2003, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by U n i o n 0015:
I quit waiting and bought a 1Ghz 15" TiBook. Needless to say, I love it. And I got it for $2300 so it was nearly $700 less than the 17" I was planning on getting!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the laptops offered by Apple. By roommate got a 12" and it's fantastic. I just couldn't get it because I need a big screen for my eyes. I read a lot about the 15" feeling weak on this board and I just don't see it. This is a great machine...the keyboard rocks...the screen rocks (no dead pixels AT ALL)...and it's fast. I love it.
I would have paid the extra $700. Small price to pay for a vastly superior machine.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2003, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by schuey100:
I would have paid the extra $700. Small price to pay for a vastly superior machine.
That's a matter of opinion. I'd rather have a 1GHz Ti than the 17-inch. I'm waiting for the next rev on the 15s and if the specs aren't compelling, I'll pick up a Ti on closeout and upgrade from my 667.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
That's a matter of opinion. I'd rather have a 1GHz Ti than the 17-inch. I'm waiting for the next rev on the 15s and if the specs aren't compelling, I'll pick up a Ti on closeout and upgrade from my 667.
Of course it's a matter of opinion. Hence I expressed mine and you expressed yours. My point was that in my opinion I would have paid the extra $700 for the 17". In my opinion it is a superior machine. In fact in my optinion the extra screensize alone is worth $700.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 08:40 AM

The current screen is 15.2" why would it become 15.4" ?!
we don't have time to stop for gas

spotze23
Apr 24, 2003, 09:54 AM

if steve jobs or someone at apple will read this:

i will not buy your TIbook!

the only reason not to release the 15AIbook is that there are alot of tiBooks on stock and 17AIbook should be forced.
i you had a look at a comparison-table with the 12, 15 and 17 powerbooks the 15 TIbook looks like a grandmom.

so please release the 15 AIbook or i have to buy a pc-notebook running linux.

dettociao
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by jetta_gt:

Give me the AI15"!!!
The 12" is too big?? huh?
-.-
12" SuperDrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules