Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Are all Powerbook users rich/well off?

Are all Powerbook users rich/well off?
LlamaBoy
Sep 29, 2003, 10:20 PM

After following the posts here for months, I have noticed that most people who own a Powerbook also own a Cinema Display and/or iPod etc. This is a very expensive setup, and was wondering what most people here did for a living.

I am a Network/Security Administrator for a small software development company in Atlanta. I am the only person at my company using a Mac, but everyone drools over it and wishes they could switch. I dont make over six figures, but it is close. I am not bragging, I bet most people here make more judging by how expensive this equipment is.

But saying all that, I would NEVER go back to a Windows laptop. I love my Powerbook!

bonk
Sep 29, 2003, 10:29 PM

I remember a while back reading a study that said most Mac users earn more and are more educated that pc people.

I'm in college, got a good web design contract this past summer to get me a 17" pb

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 10:33 PM

My University department bought mine. I was due.

There is no way I could have bought one for myself at this point in time.

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 10:33 PM

Me well off? Ha!
I'm a college student working two jobs just to pay for my new 15" Al.

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 10:35 PM

yes - macs are more expensive

however - I think the fact that they last MUCH longer makes is VERY easy to pay for them and invest in them for a long time
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2003, 10:38 PM

I am not hurting; however, not filthy rich either....I just know what to spend good money on when I see it....

As for my profession? I am a Mac Administrator/Technician for Schaumburg School District 54 (the nation's 4th largest 1-to-1 iBook deployment)....

LlamaBoy  (op)
Sep 29, 2003, 10:41 PM

As for all the college students purchasing Powerbooks, what is your major? I used to work at Kinkos in the computer department, and all the college art/design students would use Macs, and all the people looking for a job would use Windows.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2003, 10:46 PM

I run a small store and don't make a lot of money, but I have my priorities straight.

Some folks go out to dinner, spend lots on vacations, etc., others buy nice things like PowerBooks. Some can't afford any of it but enjoy life anyway, without.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 10:47 PM

College kid, but i have a sucessful side design business that helps alot with my macs. + i get edu and internal Apple employee discounts threw school and buddies that work at Apple. I would say my family is medium to high middle class. nice house, a few normal cars nothing extravagent just comfertable and happy.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 10:52 PM

Over Six Figures?!? 1 million. hmmmm.........

I think not.

Over Five? Perhaps.

To be honest, I have never met a Mac user making much more than 100K. Most of the schleps I know save up every dime just to afford their toys and they are much more adamant about it.

My wardrobe hasn't changed in 3 years, but my Mac setups always up to date!
iBook, Pbook, iPod, Dig Vid Cam, FireWire drive, optical mouse... oh the list goes on. But the salary stays the same.. what a shame.

Graphic Design/Prepress Manager - 7 years.

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 10:53 PM

Another college student - Comp Sci.

Internship helped me to pay for mine
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 10:55 PM

College student, hopelessly in debt.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 10:58 PM

College Kid here...majoring in Business Management, and I've worked my tail off since Freshman year in High School as well as invested the cash I've scraped together since then.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 11:03 PM

Same major as AssassyN, business major. Makes a lot of business students turn their heads when they see me whip out a Mac. But then again, heads generally turn when I whip out a 17" laptop.

I, however, am not paying for mine. It was a gift from my parents. We're well off, upper middle class, just to give a little info.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 11:05 PM

I'm a Marketing Director for a software company. I'm the only one to use a Mac at work. I use a PC too, but I use the Mac for Photoshop, Illustrator, QuarkXPress, Flash. I prefer the Mac for web and graphic design.

Originally posted by KeriVit:
What do you wear? You must have some durable clothes.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 11:07 PM

Full-time university student. Economics/urban planning major.

Part-time web design job with a state government agency. I make about $14,000 a year. So no, I'm not rich. I am, however, living at home until I graduate (this year) so it helps quite a bit that I don't have to pay rent at this point.

I can "afford" this stuff through education discounts and loans.

jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 11:07 PM

My money priorities go like this:

1. Food
2. Lodging
3. Keep girlfriend happy
4. Apple
5. other gadets

Items 3 and 4 sometimes switch back and forwards, it's debatable.

porsche993
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 11:10 PM

Well...I'm probably the exception in this group...I'm doing pretty well as a computer graphics sw engineer ;-)

That said, my company (~2000 people) would have bought me any laptop I wanted - but not a mac. When my Director of R&D came by this morning to chat, he noticed my new 15 Al and asked me how I got approval to buy the machine.

I told him that I had bought it myself, my productivity is more important to me than some arbitary company rule. He looked at me like I was crazy.

Look, if my mac makes me more efficent - at the end of the day, I get to spend more time doing the things I love, with those I love. That's worth a couple thousand bucks in my book

sean

dcsmrgun
Sep 29, 2003, 11:13 PM

Scraped together dollars, sold just about everything I didn't need, ate ramen noodles. Now I get a PowerBook. I'm not poor, but I definitely can't go throwing 2k around unless i mean it.

bonk
Sep 29, 2003, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by LlamaBoy:
As for all the college students purchasing Powerbooks, what is your major? I used to work at Kinkos in the computer department, and all the college art/design students would use Macs, and all the people looking for a job would use Windows.

I'm majoring in Digital Media Communication (fancy name for internet/dvd/media related content stuff that I do already) at Middle TN State Univ.

Luckily I've always had the educational discount all my life (parents are teachers), but this year I went for the ADC student discount.

beefstu01
Sep 29, 2003, 11:28 PM

Another college student here. Going to Cornell University and (planning on) majoring in Electrical and Computer Engineering, but recently I've been thinking about doing a dual major in ECE and Mechanical Engineering. I too use a PowerBook, a brand spankin' new 15" 1.25GHz. Sure, it's a pretty expensive machine (when all is said and done, I've dropped around $2700 on this and an iPod), but buying a top of the line notebook now means that I can go about three years on it before I buy another laptop or need another computer. Plus, I have a knack for using old "outdated" equipment. I still have my SE hooked up to a LaserJet 4m... it rocks. Not too useful, but just for kicks.

By the way, does anyone know if it would be possible to hook up that LaserJet to this computer? It's your standard, run of the mill PostScript printer, so I don't think I'd need any more drivers than what's included in OS X, but I'm not sure how I'd go about hooking it up. It speaks on AppleTalk, is that still supported?

yg17
Sep 29, 2003, 11:31 PM

Im a high school student working part time at Target for less than 8 bucks an hour. I own an iPod, 900MHz iBook, 15" LCD and all sorts of other stuff (not all computer related)

Shows that you dont have to be rich to afford a Powerbook. If you save your money and don't blow it on useless crap you can afford a PB. (But it would be nice if one paycheck was enough to afford a PB)

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 11:33 PM

I make 7.90/hr, am a Management Technology - Business Administration Major. I ordered a PowerBook because my desktop machine at the time just kept me away from people. I used to spend all my time isolated from people.

After about 5 years of doing that (had a Performa 550, 6400, G4/400, ibook/500 (too slow and small screen), ibook/800 (too slow & small screen) and g4/867 dual), I finally decided to order one of apple's 15" laptops.

All the people I chatted with who were owners of the Titanium Powerbooks loved their machines. I used the 867 tibook in the apple store and found its performance acceptable, though not mindblowingly fast. I think the 1.25GHz machine I ordered with the faster system bus along with Panther will be a great leap forward as far as performance goes.

As for the iBooks, I don't really consider them to be desktop replacements still. Maybe if you're doing some light work, anything that requires beefier multitasking abilities is going to feel a bit pokey however.

So if I didn't dislike the noise of the MDD G4 I had, wasn't able to get such a steep discount on the 15.2" 1.25GHZ 80GB Airport Ext Bluetooth BL kb powerbook (through the apple student developer store) and didn't feel such a strong need to get a powerbook I might have stuck with what I had. (/run-on sentence)

Just because you own a laptop that costs on average between $1599 and 2599 doesn't necessarily imply you have deep pockets. In the same way that driving a new S-Class doesn't imply you have a six plus figure a year job. The company the individual works for may have purchased it, or it's being leased (not that many people lease computer hw, but there is a market out there).

So I'm quite well-off. About $20 in my wallet right now, working on getting 4 figures back in my bank account post-PowerBook order.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2003, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by beefstu01:

By the way, does anyone know if it would be possible to hook up that LaserJet to this computer?
Yep, you need an ethernet to localtalk bridge.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by yg17:
...you dont have to be rich to afford a Powerbook. If you save your money and don't blow it on useless crap you can afford a PB. (But it would be nice if one paycheck was enough to afford a PB)
AMEN. Unfortunately, I didn't follow the second part about blowing it on useless crap! Man, when I look around at all the crap that I should NOT have bought I could have paid for 30%-40% of a new PowerBook by now.

bkatran
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 12:18 AM

im a freelance camera man so i use that to buy my apple stuff

and ill be an apple employee hopefully by this weekend

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 12:22 AM

I did not pay for mine

I did a calendar art project for this major Pharmaceutical company and asked for a Powerbook as part of my payment.

It is fun being poor with a mac - means your mind is rich
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

bobette
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
[/B]
Hehe, ya got your priorities straight! I've got 3 macs and waiting for an Albook 1,25, but am going through a serious shortage of decent matched pairs of socks.

Freelance web designer and integrator, photographer. All business expenses, even the iPod. Not rich, but comfy. But hey, I made MAJOR sacrifices for years and years (during graduate studies and first years as a freelance).

But I l o v e what I do for a living. And I luuuuv macs.

this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 01:17 AM

I got a TiBook 667 VGA 2 years ago for a graduation gift from high school. I turned around a month ago and sold it for $1600, sold the Adobe InDesign 2.0 software I got with my PowerMac for $400, and I worked for Touchstone Pictures this summer while they were shooting Bernie Mac's new film in my hometown. I got $150 a day for that for 28 days of work...so I was more than able to afford my Powerbook. Now I am a full-time double major in college working two jobs and editing projects for a number of clients.
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 01:27 AM

I have been a photographer by trade for the past 12 years, photojournalism, fine art and stock, self taught, live and work in Aspen, Colorado for the last five years. Grew up poor and was out earning a living when I was 16. I am 36 now.

I started using macs about 15 years ago, always wanted my own computer but found that using school's and others were freeing up cash for other gear.

Then in the Spring of 2001, I decided I needed my own laptop and thought the ti-book was the first machine that really suited me and my style...I was right. I Work as a full time staffer at the Aspen Times and make a third of that 6 figures there. At the time I picked up my PBG4, I was making another 20-35% of that monthly salary in freelance, stock and fine art.

After many months of archiving thousands of key images to CD, I was ready to pump up the financial volume.
I am now on my 3rd Powerbook and because I have invested the time and money, the other than staff position income has leaped to 150-400% of my monthly salary on the average.

These Powerbooks keep me connected in many ways. They are visually stunning and are the best portfolio presentation I have ever used.

Last May, I was prepared for a great opportunity to make some big stock sales.
A huge international story broke and I had the only photos of a certain brave individual on earth.
Because I was totally ready and had the best technology in the world for dealing with it...on the run, my 1ghz ti-book paid for itself several times over as around a dozen photos pulled in sales of around $23,000...in one month.

Now I have a 17 so when I got to show clients photos....I get the job or the sale because my images are shown on the world's most amazing piece of portable technology.

Thank you Apple, You have helped me make my dreams come true....in style!!

Daniel Bayer
www.dbPIX.com

P.S. For what it is worth, I have used Windows only a few times when needed and found that I did not care how much cheaper they were, a mac is all I want to ever work on.

So I guess I don't have any sense of price comparison for as I far as I am concerned, the price of a good computer is whatever the sticker is on a Mac, All the others simply don't matter.
( Last edited by Daniel Bayer; Sep 30, 2003 at 01:36 AM. )
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

pwolfe1
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 01:29 AM

Chalk another one up as a college student. I think of myself as well off though, I was lucky enough to get a job in IT here as well. I decided it was time to reward myself and get some nice hardware (new 12#ti) to help me with my major; english.

kenzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 01:39 AM

I'd definately feel poor without one. I saved and freelanced after work for a year (I'm a Mac/PC sysadmin) and now love my new Al 15" (N0 PROBLEMS) I tried something new for this computer, as I have had my fill of credit cards. I put money away, every paycheck for every month this year. $150 bucks a pop. I even opened a special savings account, and when I had a little extra cash, that's where I put it. I never missed the $150 a paycheck, I would have just bought a lot of little things with it.

Macs do last longer, and they can run an up to date OS loner too. I have an original G3 beige desktop and I am running OS X on it and my daughter loves it. That machine was built in the Windows 98 era, and I have seen so many of those machines fail to take an XP install, so they are obsolete. I bet the old G3 will take Panther...that's just the way Macs are. My 8500 died after 8 years of productive service, and a cheap processor upgrade.

If I were rich though, I would buy more macs.
It's all about the poppies and the oil, baby.

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 01:39 AM

I am a university student. Yes, the powerbook is an expensive item, but just like anything, I saved up for it for about 2 years, and it is definetly the best tool to use at school. Especially now since I am living off campus.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by LlamaBoy:
I am a Network/Security Administrator for a small software development company in Atlanta.
Wow you're lucky. I am a poor college student in Altanta. But on the plus side, I still managed to afford a Powerbook.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

PowerMatt
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 01:42 AM

College Student:: Broadfield Social Studies Education Major with Economics, Geography, Political Science and Psychology Concentrations.

Can you tell its my 5th year?!

I also work at Cousins Subs for over $9/hr and my wife is a full-time banker. She is going back to school in the spring, so I taked her into getting a "second computer."

We are not wealthy or even comfortable, but we have just the right amount of money to be able to afford a few nice toys and stay out of major credit card debt. We only owe on our student loans.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 05:15 AM

I'm a University student (University of Tasmania, Australia) I'm studying a Bachelor of Computing at the moment in my second year. I Purchaced my powerbook with money from a network rebuild and intergration I did for a school here in Tassie.

Was it expensive, yes, but when I was filing my receipt for the laptop (Ti1G) i found the ones for my previous PC upgrades. I figure even if i get 2 years out of the powerbook I'm infront. The perception that a PC is cheep I swear comes due to the fact that you can buy bits and pieces over time and not have to purchase in one lump sum.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 05:23 AM

Well, no, we're not all well off. Some people did this by buying stuff as business expanses, which than they can get tax return from it. Others sell their old ones than use that money to buy the new ones, so they only pay maybe another $1000 on it. Mac as a very high resell value.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 05:37 AM

I bought the bottom-end PowerBook in 1999, and tried to start a business based around it. It's been VERY successful. I don't know if it will make me "rich" but it makes me more than I ever made working for others, and I get to sleep in! I'd say it paid for itself.

I'm only just now looking at getting my second PowerBook. Aren't I cheap?
nagromme

EvanV
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 05:43 AM

Student. Work for a company called GameSpy Industries...

Also design webpages and whatnot in my spare time.

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 06:18 AM

This is PJ's butler. He is out shopping for a new Maybach but wanted me to post a quick reply..

Research has shown the average Apple customer is above avg for income and education. This "image" probably works for Apple rather well..
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

EvanV
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by pjmurphy:
This is PJ's butler. He is out shopping for a new Maybach but wanted me to post a quick reply..

Research has shown the average Apple customer is above avg for income and education. This "image" probably works for Apple rather well..
Haaahhaha.... Funny.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 07:00 AM

I am a magazine editor/typesetter and ad salesman all in one. Tool for the trade. But feel completely liberated because of all the other cool things you can do on a Mac. My PB is a powerhouse of skill and ingenuity. Was a Quark3 PC user for many years. Wish I had switched sooner. Would have saved me a lot of time and hassle. Computers cost only a fraction compared to that *other* big consumer spend - the car (closely followed by the parnter).

"Macs are expensive" is a myth. More like Apple only produce quality kit - dont cater for the bottom end of the market as well IMHO. Nike werent the cheapest sports clothes company last time I looked - but do you hear anyone complain about the price. When you come from the dark side everything you view with distrust and disdain, you do.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2003, 08:24 AM

Research has shown the average Apple customer is above avg for income and education.
Above average from what? The general population? Well, shoot, of course. These suckers ain't cheap. And dumb people generally don't use computers. Above average from a typical computer user? I think that's a stretch...

Where can one review this "research?"

Oh yes, did you know that 87.04% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

janmc
Sep 30, 2003, 08:35 AM

Recently qualified architect. Certainly not rich! 15'Al book on way, 30 GB iPod, old G4 450.

I decided I could afford a new Powerbook for some strange reason. It will mean basic sacrifices for a while, but I can handle it (I hope). It's all about priorities

My boyfriend has huge student loans to pay off, so in solidarity I'm putting myself in debt

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 08:37 AM

I'm a med student, whose last pc died on him the night before an exam. Hence the apple. Hopefully, I shall never again here the dulcet tones of windows starting up and then breaking into a heap of mush. I got mine, because of inheritance via my mum. One day I may be able to pay her back. Probably not for many years though - life's expensive in London.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 08:38 AM

I work full-time as a bean-counter and am a part time computer science student. I'm not well off, but I can save cash. I sold my old PowerBook 500 for $800 (in 24 hours no less!). That combined with my student discount made my upgrade to the 1.25GHz 15" PB cost only a little over 1500. That's pretty cheap for a laptop of this caliber.

djjava
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 08:42 AM

Full time work (40+ hours/week)
Full time grad student (the rest of the week)

well off? ha!

I wish i could use my pb17 more, but i'm too busy working for a living.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

jyvin563
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 08:45 AM

I work on fiber optics for a telecommunications firm; one that owns lots of Internet backbone... Everyone be afraid!!! J/K

I live well below my means so I can afford a nice mac every once and a while.
"While modern technology has given people powerful new communication tools, it apparently can do nothing to alter the fact that many people have nothing useful to say."

Leo Gomes

cambro
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 08:59 AM

Was grad student.

Now assistant professor of paleontology.

NOT RICH, that's for darn sure. Though hopefully the "big bucks" (as far as academia goes) will start rolling in soon.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 30, 2003, 09:05 AM

Well off? Not really.
I saved all my money for sixth months and sold my soul on ebay to be able to purchase my PB17.
I would rather sleep under a bridge before giving up this incredible piece of equipment.

Like someone else said before: you have to get your priorities straight.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Forum Links
Forum Rules