Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AOL, MSN? Need easy to use ISP

AOL, MSN? Need easy to use ISP
davcomp
May 19, 2004, 07:24 PM

Hey all,

My 63 year old aunt is buying my old TiBook and wants to use the Internet. 56k modem is her only option, so I was wondering if MSN or AOL would be good. Since they are more "soft" when it comes to the internet. Providing you with relevant content and stuff. I'm talking about someone who has little to no Internet experience, so I think that might make things easier on her. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Drew - GO BOILERS!
http://www.davcomp.com/

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 19, 2004, 08:11 PM

Maybe that Internet TV solution from Microsoft.

Does AOL have something similar?

soul searching
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by davcomp:
Hey all,

My 63 year old aunt is buying my old TiBook and wants to use the Internet. 56k modem is her only option, so I was wondering if MSN or AOL would be good. Since they are more "soft" when it comes to the internet. Providing you with relevant content and stuff. I'm talking about someone who has little to no Internet experience, so I think that might make things easier on her. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
What operation system is on the TB? Both Mac versions of AOL and MSN are behind their Windows counterparts (and often much buggier). There are some other options out there (i.e., Earthlink) though the quality of all of these depends on the OS the TB is running.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 08:20 PM

To be honest, if it runs OS X, I'd just get a 'normal' dialup provider. Put Mail, Safari and Word in her dock.

Set her Safari homepage to something that might have lots of links she would like, or even Google. Put a list of bookmarks she might like in its bookmarks bar, ready to go. I'm sure she will cope just fine with this, and thus avoid the often buggy MSN and AOL software.

I have setup several 70+ year old people like this, and they all manage just fine, they love it!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2004, 08:35 PM

Hmmmm... the lesser of two evils indeed.

I'd have to say AOL. I had to use AOL for OS X for a few months last year and I was actually fairly impressed with it in comparison to the PC version.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2004, 09:20 PM

I vote for a standard dial-up ISP. When she was still alive, I set up my grandmother with a cable account, and she loved it. Before that, we had her on dial-up with EarthLink, which she was able to use fine, although she was frustrated with having to dial in all the time and having the connection sometimes drop, but those are problems you'll have with any dial-up account.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Saad
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2004, 09:27 PM

If she does use OS X, lock her dock, so she can't resize it or drag icones off of it.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2004, 10:09 PM

I agree with the purple giant.

AOL and MSN are quite buggy, and not really needed if you can set those things up for her.

-Owl

davcomp  (op)
May 19, 2004, 10:14 PM

How does one go about locking the Dock? That would be a great solution!
Drew - GO BOILERS!
http://www.davcomp.com/

hart
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
To be honest, if it runs OS X, I'd just get a 'normal' dialup provider. Put Mail, Safari and Word in her dock.

Set her Safari homepage to something that might have lots of links she would like, or even Google. Put a list of bookmarks she might like in its bookmarks bar, ready to go. I'm sure she will cope just fine with this, and thus avoid the often buggy MSN and AOL software.

I have setup several 70+ year old people like this, and they all manage just fine, they love it!
I absolutely agree. My mother uses AOL and it confuses her completely. All that mess in your face all the time. And she thinks the only stuff you can see on the net are AOL sites which confuses her more. She's been trying to search for real estate and using AOL's real estate area has created endless difficulties for her. She doesn't understand how to use the address window as apposed to AOL-approved links and the difference between an actual website and an AOL content page. It creates a whole additional layer of confusion.

Safari's clean open interface with a good start page and some useful bookmarks seems to me a much better option. Explain the Google window and how to do a simple search and how to create and use bookmarks.

Older people are no dumber than anyone else starting with computers. YOu just have to lay it out in a simple, non-technical fashion. And the key point is that you can't break the computer while surfing the net. I know that sounds silly but my mother is too freaked out to try anything. Of course, she's using a Windows computer so maybe you CAN break it while surfing the net.

Another problem with AOL is the mail system is extremely finicky especially when it comes to receiving attachments. My mother just can't figure out how to get the pictures I send her converted back into a useful form.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2004, 07:07 AM

If you absolutely must go with one or the other, I'd go with AOL. The absolute best would be some sort of broadband, not so much for the speed as the fact that she wouldn't have to worry about whether or not she's connected. But that doesn't sound like an option in her case.

You might want to consider getting an AirPort Base Station and using that to connect to AOL instead of the software, though. I'm not sure how this interacts with the AOL/OSX client, but it's worth a try. Does anyone here have any experience with this?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules