Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Document Server - How? What software?

Document Server - How? What software?
davcomp
May 26, 2004, 10:50 AM

I have been instructed at work to make a document server out of an old B&W G3. Unfortunatley, I was given no instruction other than "if you need software we'll buy it". Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions? Such as, how to even begin?

-Drew
Drew - GO BOILERS!
http://www.davcomp.com/

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2004, 11:37 AM

I have no real experience wth them, but from what I've seen, digital asset management servers can be quite pricy. Check out Canto Cumulus or Google 'digital asset management'.

If you have more time than money, you might try your hand at picking through free alternatives. Freshmeat 'document server' search results

If you pick one that is PHP-based from there, you will probably have little trouble getting it up and running under OSX on that el capitan.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 12:57 PM

What do they mean by 'document server' ??? Do they mean a simple file server (cheap), a document management server (expensive), or what?

davcomp  (op)
May 26, 2004, 01:02 PM

They want basically a fileserver with check in/out, backup, etc. I used MaxPower's freshmeat search link posted above and found a few things. I am attempting to install 10.2 on the machine now, so far so good. I'll then install PHP, and give a few of the php ones a try.
Drew - GO BOILERS!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2004, 01:04 PM

If they want checkin and checkout, then you're probably going to want something CVS-based. There are PHP frontends for this, as well as CVS clients for just about everything under the sun.

What kinds of documents do you expect people to put on this server, anyway? That might help shape your decision, depending on what it's going to be used for.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

davcomp  (op)
May 26, 2004, 01:07 PM

That's about where my knowledge of their needs stops. The professor left a note with his secretary saying what he wanted me to start working on a document server... Nothing much else. He's out of town so I can't ask him either. I'm just going to do some playing around and see what all there is out there.
Drew - GO BOILERS!

Turias
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 01:10 PM

Definitely check out both CVS and Subversion.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 01:59 PM

CVS is quirky, Subversion aims to be a better replacement. If you want a commercially supported SCM, check out Perforce. However note that all of these are primarily geared towards managing repositories of source code (text files) and won't necessarily be anything near as useful with arbitrary binary data.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 02:10 PM

Outside of source code management tools (which may be adequate for this request) there are also more business-oriented document management systems from OpenText, Documentum, IBM, FileNet, and Hummingbird (those are considered the best ones, there are other vendors out there). I don't know if any of those are Mac compatible, and they may be more than what you need... but just thought I'd throw those out there.

EDIT: Forgot, there are also document archive and retrieval systems that may be more appropriate for this than either scm or document management. The best vendors there are Mobius, IBM, Quest, RSD, Vignette, Systemware, and BMC Software. There should also be open source tools that do all these things to some extent, but I've forgotten their names... I'll post them if I can remember.
( Last edited by itai195; May 26, 2004 at 02:18 PM. )

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 02:41 PM

Might not be exactly what you need, but we use Alienbrain's Digital asset management software. It's geared for film and graphics work, and is highly respected, but have a look, see if it might do what you need.

http://www.nxn-software.com/

Edit: oops, sorry, only the java client is available for OS X, not the server software.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Forum Links
Forum Rules