Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Talkin' about Walken

Talkin' about Walken
Thread Tools
GranolaBoy
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 18, 2005, 05:20 PM
 
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 18, 2005, 05:25 PM
 
It's fake.

"It's one-hundred per cent not true. (It) sounds like someone got a little too excited over his role as Secretary Of The Treasury in Wedding Crashers and now they want to make him president."
http://us.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-08-17
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
BlueSky
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ------>
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 18, 2005, 05:29 PM
 
I've got a fever and the only cure is more false rumors.
     
Atomic Rooster
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: retired
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 18, 2005, 06:21 PM
 
He's a great dancer...really!!!
     
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Night's Plutonian shore...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 18, 2005, 07:10 PM
 
He certainly couldn't do any worse than the chuckle-heads that are going to run for real.
Nemo me impune lacesset
     
Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: With my kitties!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 18, 2005, 07:51 PM
 
     
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Guidance Counselor's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 18, 2005, 09:24 PM
 
"our failing public education system". True. And what is making it fail? Lawmakers.
NCLB.
I tell you, I got the solution to public education problems. It's not hard. It ain't rocket science. It's just not politically viable. No one can use it as a weapon- ergo- it will never be implemented and therefore- the public education system will continue the downward spiral.
It has nothing to do with curriculum (which is thought to death and at the whim of every political hack and PC know-it-all to come down the pike).
It has nothing to do with demographics or redistricting.
It is entirely too simple:
1) be sure there are qualified and motivated educators in the class rooms. Don't throw arbitrary requirements onto people. Make sure there is a level of education, decent professional development and a certification standard.
2) Set the frameworks by state and let educators create curriculum. Then let them teach it. Trust them. Don't hamstring them at every opportunity. See item 1.
3) Don't put 1465 kids into a space built for 925 (real world numbers, there).
4) 15 kids in a class. Max.
5) There is no 5.

And if Walken'll do that AND dance. I'm voting for 'im. Twice.
( Last edited by maxelson; Aug 18, 2005 at 11:10 PM. )

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.
     
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Rockies
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 18, 2005, 10:11 PM
 
maxelson for president 2008!

(Or maybe Secretary of Transportation. Or HUD. How about Special Assistant to the Deputy's Secretary for Domestic Affairs. OK, but at least Governor of California.)
     
mojo2
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 18, 2005, 10:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by BlueSky
I've got a fever and the only cure is more false rumors.
BlueSky, you are a great poster.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?
     
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Guidance Counselor's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 18, 2005, 11:14 PM
 
C'mon. Can you imagine the speeches?

To Iran: Your nuclear program... it it it... it has no reactuhs... for making...electricity. Awl I see...here...are what... you got what, here... bombs? Bombs am I right here these are bombs? Heh. You you you you think I'm stupid, don't you. heh. They do they think I'm what I'm stupid... And you say what it's what awl for... electricity?

I'd tune in for that sh*t EVERY night.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.
     
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Guidance Counselor's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 18, 2005, 11:33 PM
 
This country NEEDS more cowbells.


JEEZUS I wish that man would really run for president.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.
     
bowwowman
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: If I tellz ya, then I gotsta killz ya !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 12:24 AM
 
5 things that are missing from our schools today:

1) Qualified AND well-paid teachers and administrators
2) An absolute 1 strike-your-out discipline policy.....you f*ck up, you're gone...period
3) Nation-wide academic standards, same for everyone everywhere
4) Teacher's & Administrator's job security being based SOLEY on their student's academic performance....if they don't graduate to the next grade EVERY year, you get fired and cannot be rehired, period
5) Politicians willing to make school systems do all of the above


5 things that should IMMEDIATELY be banned from ALL of our schools:

1) Scummbag sh*theads who are more interested in poppin a cap in yo ass, smokin crak, and spreading fear and violence than they are in getting an education
2) career politicians disguised as teachers and administrators
3) Low paid/unqualified teachers and administrators
4) ALL the bullsh*t involving "political correctness" and "offending" others
5) Athletic scholarships....if you can't get into college based on your grades, then you don't need to be there anyways

And no I don't.........
give a f*ck if you agree with me or not
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)
     
christ
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Gosport
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 08:57 AM
 
Originally Posted by BRussell
maxelson for president 2008!
Then there would be cheese for all!
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03
     
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Guidance Counselor's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 09:01 AM
 
Originally Posted by bowwowman
5 things that are missing from our schools today:

1) Qualified AND well-paid teachers and administrators
2) An absolute 1 strike-your-out discipline policy.....you f*ck up, you're gone...period
3) Nation-wide academic standards, same for everyone everywhere
4) Teacher's & Administrator's job security being based SOLEY on their student's academic performance....if they don't graduate to the next grade EVERY year, you get fired and cannot be rehired, period
5) Politicians willing to make school systems do all of the above
1) Most teachers ARE qualified. It has to do with whether or not they are into the actual teaching. I know 2 teachers in my school of 78 teachers who should not be there- but not because they are not qualified to teach- because their attitude sucks.
2) No. Consistency is all that is needed. At the moment, there's a different rule for everyone. It is easy to say one strike until you're actually there and looking at it. You're going to chuck a kid out of school for talking back to a teacher? We don't have one strike rules in society. Why here? We already have one strike weapons policy (we had a kid expelled for a year for having a sharp blade on his nail clippers- 3/4 inch blade. I feel safer now.) as well as a one strike drug dealing policy. There are no second chances for striking a teacher. What else you have in mind?
3) Sure. As long as you're going to then spread money equaly to school districts- a per student dollar amount adjusted for cost of living in a given area. At the moment, achievement is seriously tipped toward wealthy districts. Of course it is. Class sizes are smaller, resources for learning are abundant. Come to an inner city school where the population matches diversity in demographic and you'll be reminded of a cattle ranch. And this is the fault of the teachers? No. It isn't.
4) This is not a good idea at all. Do you think teachers teach for the money? For this "amazing" amount of time off? Nope. They teach because they are teachers. Stop questioning their motives. The general public only gives lip service to this "love of teachers". ANYTHING goes wrong at it is immediately the teacher's fault. Sure it is sometimes- of course it is. But the issue with public education right now has NOTHING to do with the teachers. Fact of the matter is, resources again don't reflect need. I taught a Language Arts class to a room of 39 students: 18 Hispanic, 10 of whom spoke NO English; 10 VIetnamese- 1 of whom spoke English. 6 Mid Eastern kids- 3 spoke English. 5 Native English speakers. It was not an ESL class. There's no money for ESL. I speak neither Spanish, Vietnamese nor any of the Mid Eastern languages represented. As I said, demand something, then throw up every roadblock you can. Next- when you're making something in a factory, the variables are these- work conditions, quality of equipment and motivation and skill of the worker. The equipment a worker has to work with has not attitude, history, motivation or aptitude. I'm a highly skilled worker. I have 39 root variables in every classroom- all very complex, with their own histories, aptitudes and issues. All with their own environments once they leave. Then, of course, there's the fact that I am walking in woefully under equipped. 12 texts to share amongst 39? Don't think my example is uncommon. It ain't. I teach off my wits most days- using the most creative means I can to turn this lack of equipment into an advantage. I could go on, but then I think I've probably given enough reasons why teacher job security cannot be matched to student achievement. Not to mention, where are going to get people to work under those conditions? I thought to point was to attract intelligent motivated people. All this plan would do is, well, what NCLB is doing now- decline the population of teachers. And we know where that leads. Sorry to say it and all due respect, but that suggestion is not thought through. I'm all too happy to discuss that one all you want. Education is a triangle: Teachers and Parents form the support base.The student is at the top and must take ultimate responsibility for his education. We can MAKE them learn NOTHING. Do you actually have kids, if I may ask? If you do, apply this to yourself as a parent. Also the one strike rule. I think you'll find that it won't work. If you don't, perhaps you should just consider the opinion of one who has 2 at home and 167 at work.

5) Willing politicians- I agree. Which means it needs to be taken off the political weaponry table.


5 things that should IMMEDIATELY be banned from ALL of our schools:

1) Scummbag sh*theads who are more interested in poppin a cap in yo ass, smokin crak, and spreading fear and violence than they are in getting an education
2) career politicians disguised as teachers and administrators
3) Low paid/unqualified teachers and administrators
4) ALL the bullsh*t involving "political correctness" and "offending" others
5) Athletic scholarships....if you can't get into college based on your grades, then you don't need to be there anyways

And no I don't.........
give a f*ck if you agree with me or not
1) Yep. WHich means consistency in rules. Every teacher enforcing, every in school administrator enforcing.
2) These exist in School Administration buildings. Not in schools. I've never met one, anyway. The school environment is simply too hard for them. They wouldn't be caught dead on the business end of a chalkboard.
3) There are unqualified professionals everywhere. Of course they need to be gotten rid of, but the politicians would have you believe this is a bigger issue than it is. Why? Because everyone needs a villain here. It can't be them. Its those selfish whiney teachers who are only in it for the summer.
4) Societal problem. It ain't leaving schools until it leaves society.
5) You like just kicking kids out. Real world: you can't just kick them out. What is the result you get when you just kick them out? Well, they become a societal problem. Solutions must be found- alternative learning environments/ tactics. Of course, since the money is going away (Armstrong Williams got quite a bit of that money- and yet I had no copies of Lord of the Flies to teach... anyone else see a problem there?), the alternatives and solutions are as well.

And if you are unwilling to even look at the return argument, I'd say you're just like the rest of those armchair pundits who are happy to point out that everyone is an expert on public education except for those who do it every day.

Incidentally, here's what I did with MY summer:
Rewrote my district's benchmarks for my content area. THis will be ongoing.
rewrote an entire curriculum based upon those benchmarks- for grades 9-12.
Collaborated with a cohort on the middle school benchmarks in our content area.
Sat in 4 meetings with the Fine Arts academy to implement a cross academy disciplinary/ classroom management system.
Another 7 meetings with various teachers to design and implement cross curriculum initiatives.
Prepped an entire years worth of rough lesson plans- to be altered and/or refined over the school year.
read all the texts I will be teaching this year. Of course, I say "read". What I mean is "prepped for teaching". Different.
I got schoolwide meetings all week next week in prep for the return of the students.
Oh, yeah. How could I forget. I had to write grants. Why? I don't want to waste my student's time with nickle and diming the community to death with fundraisers. I prefer they use their time productively.
Took a week in August to have some friends visit.

Keep this in mind: your lees-than-average teacher works as many hours in a year as your average 9-5er. Really good teachers go pretty far beyond that. Want me to support that, I will.
( Last edited by maxelson; Aug 19, 2005 at 09:27 AM. )

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.
     
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Guidance Counselor's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 09:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by christ
Then there would be cheese for all!
CHRIST!!!!!
hehehheeh. I love doing that.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.
     
christ
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Gosport
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 09:24 AM
 
Long time no see, max.

How's the play-acting?
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03
     
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Guidance Counselor's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 09:26 AM
 
Jeez. I am doing my first show in 2 years in October. I got no time for it now.
How're you, christ?

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.
     
christ
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Gosport
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 09:50 AM
 
I'm fine, thank-you for asking. Not getting enough cheese, but I guess that is sort of the human condition.

Oldest kid just crossed the pond for a year at a US university, so we are learning iChat. I didn't realise how difficult it is to teach an old christ new tricks!

I haven't seen you around for ages - maybe I've been looking in the wrong places.

(sorry for the thread-jack - I now return you to your normal programming)
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03
     
Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 09:54 AM
 
I am posting in a maxelson thread.
     
lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Herzliya
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 10:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by Phil Sherry
I am posting in a maxelson thread.
I am quoting a post by Phil.
     
boots
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Unknown
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 10:27 AM
 
Originally Posted by lil'babykitten
I am quoting a post by Phil.
I am unworthy of quoting a Phil post. So I am quoting a post that quotes Phil's post.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.
     
christ
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Gosport
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 10:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by Phil Sherry
I am posting in a maxelson thread.
Is that philzilla under all that make-up?
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03
     
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Guidance Counselor's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 10:34 AM
 
he's awful fruity, ain't he?

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.
     
Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 10:40 AM
 
Originally Posted by christ
Is that philzilla under all that make-up?
CHRIST!!!

The international man behind the machine that was phlizilla... maybe.
     
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Guidance Counselor's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 02:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by BRussell
maxelson for president 2008!

(Or maybe Secretary of Transportation. Or HUD. How about Special Assistant to the Deputy's Secretary for Domestic Affairs. OK, but at least Governor of California.)
California?!?!?!
I THINK NOT. The climate gives me the depression. That, and I refuse to drive a Hummer.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 19, 2005, 03:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by boots
I am unworthy of quoting a Phil post. So I am quoting a post that quotes Phil's post.
I'm quoting this because I'm a fan of boots.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,