Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > way less hard drive space than i should have (os 9.0.4)

way less hard drive space than i should have (os 9.0.4)
aeser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2001, 06:47 AM

i recently had quite an episode with osx and decided to remove it from my computer so i copied os9 over to my 2nd internal hard drive and started up from that fine and then erased the first disk and then all the stuff on my desktop vanished except for the 2 hard drives and the trash can, i copied os9 from the 2nd hard drive back to the first and started up from that fine, but still only had the hard drives and trash can on my desktop, but i went and made aliases for everything i still wanted on my desktop that was on my hard drive still (except digital performer which i think i have to install again) but now it says it only has 1.83 gigs available on the 10 gig apple drive (i was only using 4 gigs at most before installing osx) and it said i had like 9.something gigs after erasing the disk, does anybody know what's taking up my hard drive space and how i can free it up? thanks.
[link]http://aeser.net[/link]

King_Sixty_Four
Jan 18, 2001, 11:56 AM

There's a program called "Eradicator" that will remove all the stuck temp. files that are wasting all your space. Search for it on VersionTracker.com. It help me recover several gig's of space.

KSF

John Strung
Senior User
Jan 18, 2001, 12:43 PM

This is a well know bug with OS 9.0.x. Download and run AutoPurge, which you can get from VersionTracker, or update to OS 9.1 which fixes the problem.

If you are running TechtoolPro, you should also go to that control panel and make sure you have set a limit for the size of the TrashCache. If you have not done so, purge the trashcache, then set a reasonable limit to its size.

Forum Links
Forum Rules