Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > missing hard drive space

missing hard drive space
aeser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2001, 10:08 AM

i installed osx and it didn't work so i moved my os9 folder to my 2nd hard drive and wiped out the first one and then moved the os9 folder back and i ended up with only like 1.83 gigs of free space on my hard drive, when i had like 4.80something before i installed osx, so then i wiped it out again and reinstalled os9 from the disk and set everything back up and now i have more but still nowhere near what i should have on there, i have like 3.13 gigs of free space, now all i have on there really is os9.0.4 (downloaded the upgrade to 9.0.4 from 9.0.2), internet explorer 5 (downloaded), and photoshop, go live, illustrator, and live motion, and i was about to reinstall my motu core system (audio desk) and digital performer, which i had on before osx and still had 4.80something gigs of free space. someone recommended i download auto purge from versiontracker.com, and another person recommended eradicator, i downloaded both and ran both and neither cleaned anything up, does anyone know a way i can find out what is using so much space and clean it up? i figure i should have gigs more than i do. thanks.
[link]http://aeser.net[/link]

noliv
Senior User
Jan 26, 2001, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by aeser:
...so then i wiped it out again and reinstalled ...
Did you reformat the disk or just moved everything to the trash ???
OS X put invisible folders, you can make them visible with resedit, then move them to the trash.

I had some strange problems after removing OS X too and I noticed that my HD is damaged since I have it (not physically damaged... but the apple tools can't solve the problem and I don't have techtool pro or norton utilities...)
Maybe you have a similar problem... but reformatting the HD will solve it

noliv
-noliv

aeser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2001, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by noliv:
Did you reformat the disk or just moved everything to the trash ???
OS X put invisible folders, you can make them visible with resedit, then move them to the trash.
i went into special and selected "erase disk"

Originally posted by noliv:
I had some strange problems after removing OS X too and I noticed that my HD is damaged since I have it (not physically damaged... but the apple tools can't solve the problem and I don't have techtool pro or norton utilities...)
Maybe you have a similar problem... but reformatting the HD will solve it noliv
so i have to wipe everything out again? well if i must i must
[link]http://aeser.net[/link]

Forum Links
Forum Rules