Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Poll: Poll: Tuesday Poll: Two monitors or just one large screen?

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Poll Options:
Two smaller monitors 7 votes (50.00%)
One larger monitor 7 votes (50.00%)
I still use a 15" CRT, thank you very much 0 votes (0%)
I don't use a computer 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll
Poll: Poll: Tuesday Poll: Two monitors or just one large screen?
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2011, 10:49 PM

At work, they've been replacing some people's dual 20" LCDs with 27" LED displays instead. They're arguing that you really have just as much usable space with one large display as two smaller displays and that the single LED uses less power (which I assume is true). However, a lot of people like having two separate smaller displays instead of one larger one.

I know that every single person on MacNN is at the top of their respective professional fields, so I'd like to offer this question before you all.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2011, 10:53 PM

I find I still prefer two monitors to one large one. Even with the 24" Cinema, I often find it annoying the edges of the screen aren't pointing directly at me and am constantly adjusting the angle of the screen.

andi*pandi
Nov 29, 2011, 11:09 PM

It's been a long time since I had two monitors, but I like the big monitor I have. Less shuffling things from one space to the other. I'd love a huge monitor like they had in the video room at school.

We've all had these nice 24" monitors for a while and were content enough, but a new contractor came in and somehow negotiated that she'd get a new 30" monitor AND a new tower and we were all annoyed. 3 year equipment cycle our asses.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 12:06 AM

I used to love having two monitors, but it's been a long time since I've had that setup. Almost a decade now.

I'm using a 24" screen and it works great. I'd like a second screen, but my work is cheap, and if I got one, then everyone would want one. It would be a mess. There are better things to fight for.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2011, 12:59 AM

Anybody with a MacBook do dual displays with that? I've found that's a nice compromise, but everyone at work says it's too much of a pain plugging and unplugging stuff in. I don't find it to be a big deal, it's what I do at home.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 30, 2011, 01:49 AM

You left out a poll choice. I prefer two large monitors.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2011, 01:56 AM

That's true. Add it in if you'd like to use your super admin-powers

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 02:04 AM

I want my monitor to be on-axis with my body, so either one big, or one big with a small to the side.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2011, 04:37 AM

I'm with reader, dual 27" monitors here.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 05:02 AM

Large single for work.

Large with smaller "sidecar" for messin' about (basically side monitor acts as somewhere to put crap while I work out what to do with it).

Not down with the recent trend for more pixels on monitors. 1920 x 1200 on a 26"+ is about right, otherwise I'm sitting 3" away from the monitor just to read the fonts in certain areas of certain sequencing software. Why are none of the manufacturers getting this? More is not always better.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Not down with the recent trend for more pixels on monitors. 1920 x 1200 on a 26"+ is about right, otherwise I'm sitting 3" away from the monitor just to read the fonts in certain areas of certain sequencing software. Why are none of the manufacturers getting this? More is not always better.
This just means you're getting old, Doof.

My eyes ain't what they used to be, either.

(single 22" for work (clamshell mode), here, or single 13" for on the road)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
This just means you're getting old, Doof.

My eyes ain't what they used to be, either.
My eyes are awesome. It's the fonts on the edit screens in some of the default softsynths (gah!) in Logic which are designed for geeks sitting 3" away from the screen. It just ain't music, y'know?
Like this, but smaller.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

-Q-
Nov 30, 2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Anybody with a MacBook do dual displays with that?
This. It's both my work and home set-up. The MBP screen is primarily for palettes and random docs I need to reference during a project, with the large screen for the main task at hand.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 07:24 AM

I generally like two monitors. I pair a 14-15" laptop with a 27" screen. But this new Windows 7 window tacking is fantastic (able to stick them to one-half of the screen as you choose) - I've really come to be annoyed at how MacOS scatters windows all over the place (although I haven't used Lion). It's really messy. And that damn green button is still, I maintain, the most stupid and pointless idea in the world - why won't it just maximise the shit?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2011, 07:56 AM

I like having a second monitor on my desk; I can do a lot of things with it that make sense for me that I can't do with a larger monitor. But I'm paying for it, so I get to make the decision...

What technology are the 20" displays they're replacing? Larger LED displays will take less power than smaller CFL-lit LCDs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2011, 07:57 AM

The more monitors the better. I use one solely for a Windows 7 VM. That leaves just one for my other stuff... although I do use multiple "Spaces". I'm working on getting a second video card working in my Hackintosh so I can add a third (and possibly fourth) monitor. I like to see everything I'm working on all at once and I frequently have multiple remote desktop sessions going as well as browser windows, chat windows with my coworkers, email, etc. Not sure why but I've never liked the idea of minimizing windows when I switch to another task. I like to have all the windows open so I can quickly switch my focus without have to search through a zillion minimized apps/windows.

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
And that damn green button is still, I maintain, the most stupid and pointless idea in the world - why won't it just maximise the shit?
Hehe... I know, right! It's like the "I'm feeling lucky" button on Google, you're never quite sure what it's going to do. (Cue the "zoom" button apologists.)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 08:24 AM

Three 30s. Center for main work, left and right for tickers and other things. Then there's gaming with NV 3D Surround, which is just incredible.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
What technology are the 20" displays they're replacing? Larger LED displays will take less power than smaller CFL-lit LCDs.
They're just a normal Dell 20" LCD. Probably about 3 or 4 years old. Actually, they seem to have held up really well.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2011, 07:43 PM

I prefer 2 monitors when day trading, and 1 huge monitor when using photoshop.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2011, 10:04 PM

I've had a 2 monitor setup for at least ten years now, and love it. I'm more with reader50, prefer 2 large monitors. I have the 27" iMac and a 19" monitor to my left. Thinking of replacing the 19" with a 24" that I had previous to the iMac. I have no trouble with the 2560x1440 res of the 27"iMac, everything is so precise. My eyes are not that great, I need glasses to see at regular computer screen distance, but with them it works well. And no, I don't zoom, just use whatever the app serves up.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2011, 11:42 PM

We have two 22" screens hooked up to our Mac Pro, but I much prefer a single 24-27" screen. The 27" iMacs might be slightly larger than ideal, but I'd still prefer it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2011, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
...and 1 huge monitor when using photoshop.
Aaaaaaaaaaaamen.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2011, 11:46 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules