Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How Will You Upgrade to Tiger?

View Poll Results: What method will you use to upgrade to Tiger?
Poll Options:
Clean install 111 votes (41.89%)
Archive and install 67 votes (25.28%)
Simple upgrade 82 votes (30.94%)
Not upgrading 5 votes (1.89%)
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll
How Will You Upgrade to Tiger?
Sir Arthur Dent
Apr 12, 2005, 12:40 AM

Just curious.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 01:14 AM

1. Repair Permissions

2. Boot from the CD

3. Run Disk Utility

4. Boot from the hard drive again and repair permissions again (just to be sure)

5. Boot from the CD

6. Repair permissions from the CD

7. Reformat the drive (8-way random rewrite)

8. Repair permissions from the CD

9. Install the OS (minimal install - the only purpose for this installation is so we can repair permissions from the hard drive again after reformatting it)

10. Repair permissions from the CD

11. Boot from the hard drive

12. Repair permissions

13. Boot from the CD again

14. Repair permissions from the CD

15. Reformat the hard drive again, 8-way random rewrite

16. Repair permissions from the CD

17. Reformat the hard drive again with Zero All Data (just to be sure)

18. Repair permissions from the CD

19. Install the OS

20. Repair permissions from the CD

21. Boot from the hard drive

22. Repair permissions

23. Open up multiple Terminal windows so that I can run diskutil in each one of them and have at least 5 Repair Permissions going on at the same time

24. Run Software update to see if there are any new updates

25. Repair Permissions

26. Now, actually install the updates that showed up in Software Update

27. Run Repair Permissions

28. Run Update Prebinding (yes, I know the installer did it automatically, but we have to be sure)

29. Repair Permissions again

30. Reboot

31. Run Repair Permissions

32. Run Update Prebinding again

33. Run Repair Permissions

34. I will be dead by this point, but everything will be all ready for my grandchildren to enjoy Tiger.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Apr 12, 2005 at 01:29 AM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MartiNZ
Senior User
Apr 12, 2005, 01:20 AM

Firstly, LOL .

Secondly, I say clean install. I've only just got a new PowerBook so the install on it is one of those that 'they' did before I got my hands on it ... never entirely trusting of such a thing.

I'd probably clean anyway - I did for Jaguar and for Panther, and then to go back to Jaguar to use a printer on lp for a bit, and then back to Panther, and then a couple of times just to refresh Panther ... but I'm getting better, my last Panther install lasted from last May to this March, and only ended there as I sold my iBook .

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 04:00 AM

Charles, couldn't you do away with Steps 7-16? Steps 7-16 seem entirely futile since you'll be reformatting after all of that work anyway...only a single reformat should be necessary (Step 17) to accomplish your desired task. Oh, and isn't Step 18 useless as well since there's nothing on the HD to repair the permissions of?

Other than that, I think you could have repaired permisions five or size more times after it was all done just to be sure that you had done it enough.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 04:08 AM

upgrade.
Just like 10.3
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 04:17 AM

Originally posted by Anubis IV:
Charles, couldn't you do away with Steps 7-16? Steps 7-16 seem entirely futile since you'll be reformatting after all of that work anyway...only a single reformat should be necessary (Step 17) to accomplish your desired task. Oh, and isn't Step 18 useless as well since there's nothing on the HD to repair the permissions of?

Other than that, I think you could have repaired permisions five or size more times after it was all done just to be sure that you had done it enough.
Well, you see, it's a well-known fact that if you don't repair permissions after every step, it upsets the delicate balance of nature and angers the gods so that they might smite you or something. This can happen even if there's nothing on the drive! This is also why it's necessary to reformat a few times (just to be sure). If you don't, your deltans might get scrambled, misaligning the planets and jinxing the astrological symbols which will cause the evil space aliens who control the House of Representatives to land a UFO on your dog.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 10:10 AM

I have always done a simple upgrade from 10.1 on and have never had any problems.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 10:18 AM

- Install new HD
- Boot from CD
- Install OS on fresh HD
- Spend a day installing/downloading apps
- Transfer files from old HD to new HD

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 10:22 AM

I'd do a clean but it ****s up my Quark when I do. I think I'll just to a regular instal.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 10:41 AM

As with all major OS upgrades (Jaguar, Panther, Tiger), I first install it on my iBook, which is really only used for Web surfing anyway. If all looks well, I do a backup of my G5 HD to an external Firewire drive, them erase the internal and do a clean install of the OS. I find it's much less hassle that way.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 10:46 AM

After making the appropriate sacrifices to the great God of Installs, I will burn incense and dance around my machine as the installer does its work, asking for a successful reboot and no kernel panics.

Then I'll repair permissions, just to be safe.

jyunderwood
Apr 12, 2005, 10:54 AM

I'll do a clean install because there are more things I want to delete than save.
fluid like water.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 10:55 AM

I'm installing Tiger on a brand new Seagate 160GB drive. If I have issues, my Panther installation will still be intact.

Chito
Senior User
Apr 12, 2005, 01:12 PM

I'll just upgrade. Always have. Damn the torpedos....full speed ahead!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

BGK
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 02:26 PM

I forget... what's the difference between an Upgrade and Archive & Install?
I want the ability to sleep in the snow, if I have to. I want the ability to want to.

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 02:28 PM

Well, I'm going to copy the entire contents of my laptop's hard disk drive to my external Firewre 800 disk. Then, I'm going to reformat my laptop's hard disk, deleting all partitions. Then I'll install Tiger onto it, and copy back all my applications, user data, and system preferences. I don't think it will take very long.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 02:29 PM

Exactly what files would you want to back up if you were going to do a clean install? Just the home folder with all personal file and itunes/iphoto, etc. Can you back up your application folder as well, or do you have to reinstall those from cd? Might consider clean install just to freshen up my PowerBook
S

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2005, 02:36 PM

( Last edited by Simon X; May 11, 2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: ...)

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 02:42 PM

Clean install in another partition while I monkey around with it, wait for any necessary updates, etc. It'll be another month or so before Tiger becomes my main OS.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 03:06 PM

Since I'm much of a noob to Mac stuff as I am to the health of my kids, it seems more than just to just ........format?..... and freshly install Tiger.

finboy
Apr 12, 2005, 03:18 PM

I won't be upgrading -- my hotrod iMac won't run Tiger b/c it requires factory Firewire. One day, I might upgrade my newer Macs. Just maybe.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 03:23 PM

clean install...
just a great opportunity to clean house, get rid of the apps & hacks i don't need,
the junk, etc.

then the fun begins! finding installers, discovering what works (& what doesn't).

at least i know what i'll be doing the weekend of the 29th...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2005, 03:28 PM

Archive and install always works fine for me.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 03:34 PM

Backup and Clean Install. I do that with every system upgrade.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 04:07 PM

Clean install. My in-laws will be here that weekend, and it's a good excuse as any to get out of some of the family activities. They will know not to bother me when they see the small burning sacrifice and the ring of salt crystals around the desk where the install is taking place.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 04:37 PM

Please forgive my Noob-ness, as I am making a ritual sacrifice to appease the powers that be, but I just picked up my first Mac on Friday (17" powerbook). I have already ordered the Tiger upgrade, and I was wondering about this very question. When you do an Archive and upgrade, is this the equivalent of creating a dual boot option (between Panther and Tiger)? Or is it more like a way of upgrading that allows you to wipe out the upgrade at a future time and revert back to your original installation?

I would like to (possibly) dual boot from one HD, if this is even possible, but I will most likely just upgrade and move on (a week or two after the 29th). Does the installation disk give you this option like a linux installer would (linux/windoze, for example)?

Thanks,
Jeff
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by spiff72:
Please forgive my Noob-ness, as I am making a ritual sacrifice to appease the powers that be, but I just picked up my first Mac on Friday (17" powerbook). I have already ordered the Tiger upgrade, and I was wondering about this very question. When you do an Archive and upgrade, is this the equivalent of creating a dual boot option (between Panther and Tiger)? Or is it more like a way of upgrading that allows you to wipe out the upgrade at a future time and revert back to your original installation?
It's the latter.

If you want to dual-boot Panther and Tiger, you'll need two partitions. This is one of the few things that I miss from OS 9.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
It's the latter.

If you want to dual-boot Panther and Tiger, you'll need two partitions. This is one of the few things that I miss from OS 9.
And I am guessing that there are no partitioning tools built into Panther/Tiger? Can anyone recommend a good one (free = good)?

Thanks!

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 05:10 PM

And I am guessing that there are no partitioning tools built into Panther/Tiger? Can anyone recommend a good one (free = good)?

Thanks!
I believe you can partition with Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility). However, I don't know if that will add a partition to a drive with Panther installed.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 05:27 PM

Thanks!
Just use Disk Utility. Be warned, though, that this will erase all data on the drive.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:
I believe you can partition with Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility). However, I don't know if that will add a partition to a drive with Panther installed.
It wont. He'll have to wipe the drive and then partition it.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 07:35 PM

So there aren't any non-destructive 3rd party utilities like partition magic for the windows platform?

I don't know if I would actually use one, since this is a practically new PB, but I am curious now...

Thanks!

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 08:51 PM

So there aren't any non-destructive 3rd party utilities like partition magic for the windows platform?
I thought so until yesterday, when I saw an ad for DiskStudio from the veteran Micromat.

How often have you wished that you could change the partitioning scheme of your hard drive, but not wanted to go through the trouble of completely erasing and reinitializing your hard drive to do so? Now, using DiskStudio, you are able to do this plus much more.

With DiskStudio you can:

� Add new partitions to your hard drive.
� Delete partitions previously created by DiskStudio.
� Erase and reformat existing partitions in a number of standard formats.
� Completely erase and repartition an entire hard disk.
It should be shipping soon, according to their website!

osxisfun
Apr 12, 2005, 09:00 PM

a) New machine.
b) When my tiger upgrade arrives. Straight upgrade over it.

osxisfun
Apr 12, 2005, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by FireWire:
I thought so until yesterday, when I saw an ad for DiskStudio from the veteran Micromat.

be careful. an app like this shipped earlier for OSX (this year?) and some reported their entire drive being erased.

This is the last type of app you want to be 1.0

buy an external HD if possible. or backup to dvd and use disk ulitiy.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 12, 2005, 09:13 PM

I'll do a test upgrade on one machine first. I'm sure the Unsanity haxies won't work and that Unsanity will take over six months to update Xounds and Labels X.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 12, 2005, 09:20 PM

I know it's heresey, but I'll wait around a while and see if I really NEED to upgrade.

No wait! Put out the torches, drop the pitchforks! I want to see whether it's necessary for me to upgrade, or if the regular software updates give my current OS version (10.3.8) any/all of the perks that are the real reason for upgrading to Tiger. If I do need to upgrade, it will be a while down the road.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by FireWire:

Yeah, there's also iPartition and Drive Genius. I wouldn't really trust any of these utilities, though - I'd do a backup before I touched any of them.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2005, 09:58 PM

I will get it now from Amazon for $95 ($35 rebate), already ordered and rebate printed out. Then I shall wait for all the wonderfully helpful reviews here, which will let me now, as for First Cat, Panther and Jaguar, when it is safe to install, usually around .3-.5. Then I archive and install (always worked, great option) on separate HD after having accomplished a sane version of the first poster's suggestions and test for a week. If everything works, Panther will be a retired and very honored cat, hopefully passed on to a deserving OSX fanatic like me.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 10:30 PM

I'll use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a copy of my current HD then format it and install a clean copy of Tiger.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 10:49 PM

Back documents, graphics, photos, music, and movies folders to my iMac (Rev D 60 gig HD) archive install, hope I wasted time backing up

And forget sacrificing to any gods, I'll just shoot a little prayer up to mine
Though I'll make sure to have tithed the week before

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2005, 03:25 AM

so since I have only had my first mac for one year, and have never done an upgrade, what way do i need to do it, if I want to upgrade the OS but leave all my programs and files,pics and music on here, and add the new tiger programs too?

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2005, 07:17 AM

Duplicate post sorry
( Last edited by Noonster; Apr 13, 2005 at 07:30 AM. )
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2005, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by BGK:
I forget... what's the difference between an Upgrade and Archive & Install?
Simple Upgrade: This option upgrades all the important components of your old system software while preserving all your personal files and most settings. Could it be any easier?

Archive and Install: This option saves your existing system files in a special archive, then installs Tiger. You can choose to automatically import your user information and settings into Tiger so you don�t have to reconfigure your printers, Mail and other applications.

^^ Thats how it will look....

You can see a box to tick to preserve your home folder
- This will save your docs, pics, movies etc.. but NOT the apps you have installed...

I believe that once you are happy with the OS and its working correctly you can delete the backup system directory.

So in theory you are just doing a CLEAN install but its made a backup and saved your files for you

NICE
( Last edited by Noonster; Apr 13, 2005 at 07:29 AM. )
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2005, 07:26 AM

Once I buy it, IF I buy it (debating just buying a new Mac), I will do a full backup and clean install, transferring apps one by one until done. Slow, but it works.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2005, 08:03 AM

Archive and install. I've got way too many hours into installing copy-protected stuff like Logic, Macromedia Freehand MX, Quark 6.5 and a set of Photoshop spot sep plug-ins. Besides, what would I do without all my 10.1 crash reports?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2005, 08:30 AM

I plan on waiting, because I need to connect to a Cisco VPN at work, and apparently there are some issues with that right now. I need to wait for Cisco to update its VPN client, and my company to update its setup scripts for that client.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

jimcpherson
Apr 13, 2005, 09:25 AM

Easy install. The rest are just gimmicks and should be ignored.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 10:04 AM

I will do as I always do...

1. Clean install on 2nd partition.

2. Carbon Clone current users folder and try until majority of features(bugs) are fixed.

3. Then use it as main partition

Much safer than any other way!

NeutronMonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2005, 10:31 AM

Remember, Tiger ships with the same migration assistant that came with my new Powerbook. I put my old 'book's HD into a firewire drive enclosure after it had a fatal accident (it was time to upgrade anyway... ) When I fired up my new 17" PB, it asked me if I was upgrading from an older machine, and yes, I was, so I plugged in my firewire drive and the Assistant copied over all my apps, preferences, home folder etc. quickly and flawlessly (well, I had to re-install hacks like Fruit Menu...trivial). Truly painless. This is better than the Archive and Install feature. So, to answer the question at hand, I will clone my current drive to a firewire drive, then do a clean install of Tiger. I will then fire up the Migration Assistant and have it do its magic. I will then have everything in Tiger on my main drive and a fully functioning backup under Panther. Couldn't be easier!

Forum Links
Forum Rules