Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 freezes at start up

9.1 freezes at start up
dopik
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2001, 05:46 PM

I need your help.

I wanted to make my QUE CDR works under X with iTunes. So I thought that I may need to update the firmwire of the cdrw. So there was either two files to download. one que 2.0 and the other 2.8. Since I did not know which cdrw I have I downloaded both. The first file told me that it cannot find my drive. Cool so I double clicked on 2.8 and a window told me that I needed to restart twice the computer. So I just did that but as soon as I get the finder the computer crashes. The mouse is not moving. So I restarted with all extensions off and I got rid of an applescript filed called UpdateFlash from the start up menu. There is nothing left now. I restarted the computer and still it freezes after the finder appears.

I guess it is an extension problem because I can start the computer by pressing shift. Can anyone help me please.

dopik
I am a Compulsive Software Update Button Clicker

dopik  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2001, 06:03 PM

I think it is a problem with the USB

here is what happening. I shut down all extention from QUE.

The mouse is working while the happy mac appears. However very soon after that, the mouse is not working at all. the software continues to launch as if everything was working fine. So I do not know really if the computer freezes when the finder appears. I think my USB is not working fine No keyboard and mouse.

Please help me.

dopik

yoyo52
Mac Elite
May 2, 2001, 09:55 PM

I gatehr that if you start up with extensions off, the computer works fine? If that's the case, then the stuff that you installed with the stuff from QUE is causing the problem. You can just remove it from the Extensions folder and see what happens then when you restart.

------------------
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Cipher13
May 2, 2001, 10:16 PM

Yeah, Yoyo is right. Kill the Que! extensions and run it just with Toast. It'll work fine, and the Que! drivers are nothing but problems...

Cipher13

------------------
AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

dopik  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2001, 10:51 PM

I did what you have both adviced me to do and it still not working.

Here is what I have found is that the mouse is working when the computer starts. However, very soon after MacOS 9.1 appears, the mouse stops responding and the computer still continues to launch.

I therefore think that the computer does not freeze but it seems like that since the mouse and the keyboard is not responding.

Does anyone know what I should do.

Thanks

dopik

yoyo52
Mac Elite
May 2, 2001, 11:47 PM

I wonder if you've lost some necessary extensions in the process of installing the QUE stuff. It might be worthwhile to restart from the OS CD and do a clean install of the OS. Try it and see is that does the trick. You've really got nothing to lose--all the extensions, control panels, help files, preferences, etc. in your current system are saved by a clean install in the Previous System folder that gets placed in your HD. If the clean install solves the problem, you can just move the necessary files to the new system folder.

------------------

[This message has been edited by yoyo52 (edited 05-02-2001).]

dopik  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2001, 08:18 PM

I just made a clean install and it works again. Thank you so much.

dopik

Forum Links
Forum Rules