Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Tracking Pageviews ... on Someone Else's Site

Tracking Pageviews ... on Someone Else's Site
selowitch
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 02:52 PM

I am not satisfied with the webstats I'm getting on a page I am paying for on someone else's website. I don't suppose there is any way to independently track and verify pageviews on a site I do not own, whose code I cannot modify, and whose logfiles I cannot access ... is there?

ralph4208w
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 04:34 PM

You can open an account with Google Analytics and embed the JS code onto your page. That way, you can view visitor/hits information from your own account, and Google is the 3rd party that is doing the counting. You can also share the reports with the owner of the other site and show "proof" of your visitor counts.
favourite sites: RankAMovie.com, imdb , cnet

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ralph4208w View Post
You can open an account with Google Analytics and embed the JS code onto your page. That way, you can view visitor/hits information from your own account, and Google is the 3rd party that is doing the counting. You can also share the reports with the owner of the other site and show "proof" of your visitor counts.
I already use Google Analytics; the trouble is that this particular site is governed by a CMS system that strips out any tags, including JavaScript, and doesn't allow you to modify the <head> tags either, so I think I'm out of luck.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
I already use Google Analytics; the trouble is that this particular site is governed by a CMS system that strips out any tags, including JavaScript, and doesn't allow you to modify the <head> tags either, so I think I'm out of luck.
You are, but if you have any persuasive abilities perhaps you could encourage the ISP to install or allow you to install AWStats and give you readable access to the log files?

AWStats provides the best web stats of an OSS I know of.

mrl14
Nov 30, 2006, 02:48 AM

The best thing you could do would be if you can get them to put an image on that page that comes from your server. That way you could see in your log how many times it is accessed. Other than that there isn't really anything you could do besides telling them your dissatisfied.
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules