Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Best C++ Book You've Ever Read?

Best C++ Book You've Ever Read?
Chaaaosss
Forum Regular
May 16, 2002, 05:23 PM

Hi All --

Trying to find a really solid C++ book and I'm wondering if anyone is just *in love* with any one in particular. My use in particular isn't for casual reading but more for a professional reintroduction.

Thanks.

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: Chaaaosss ]

smeger
Mac Elite
May 16, 2002, 06:08 PM

My all-time favorite is definitely "C++, The Complete Reference, Third Edition" by Schildt, published by Osborne. It's pricey and thick, but it covers the STL really really well. The same author also has a lightweight edition that doesn't go into as much depth, but can be used as a companion volume if you just need to quickly look stuff up.

Very nice combo...
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

davecom
Mac Elite
May 16, 2002, 07:56 PM

I can tell you one I don't enjoy, C++ for Programmers, published by Weily.

kamprath
May 16, 2002, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Chaaaosss:
<STRONG>Hi All --

Trying to find a really solid C++ book and I'm wondering if anyone is just *in love* with any one in particular. My use in particular isn't for casual reading but more for a professional reintroduction.

Thanks.

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: Chaaaosss ]</STRONG>
Undoubtedly it would be Bjarne Strousup's own book on the language he designed. It's not a book for the faint of heart of for someone who thinks all they need to do is make their way through a "Learn C++ in 24 hours" type book to be able to call themselves a "professional developer". However, for true professionals, it is an indispensable reference on ALL the nuances of C++.
--
Michael F. Kamprath

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2002, 12:22 AM

The O'Reilly book, "Practical C++ Programming", by Steve Oualline has good reviews. However, if you already know C++ and just want a refresher, "The C++ Programming Language", as mentioned above, would probably be a better investment.

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2002, 01:36 AM

Schildt's books tend to be full of errors. There was a running joke in comp.lang.c that the C Standard was $110, Schildt's Annotated C Standard was $40, and the price differential reflected the quality of the annotations.

I have an older edition of Oualline's book, and I remember having one C-related gripe with it, but it's been long enough since I looked at it that I can't say. It might have been related to C expression semantics, and O'Reilly might have fixed it in a later edition. Generally, though, I was impressed; it's a very good book, particularly when he gets to discussing the more high-level capabilities of the language.

I've settled on the one-two combo of Stan Lippman's Essential C++ and Lippman and LaJoie's C++ Primer. Both are dense but well-written and correct. The first is a slim refresher, the latter is basically a narrated encyclopedia.
James

"I grew up. Then I got better." - Sea Wasp

Secret Vampire
Forum Regular
May 17, 2002, 01:52 AM

Avoid the Oreilly book, it was probably great in 1996, but it's so far out of date now that it's more a hinderance than a help - several newer bits of C++ are missing entirely.

My personal fave, though slightly less generic, is Tom Swan's Gnu C++ for Linux, published by QUE.
Secret

4 Macs, 6 Amigas, 3 SparcStations, an Atari ST, an Acorn, and N+1 PCs.

I'm such a geek.

Seb G
Forum Regular
May 17, 2002, 06:06 AM

I second kamprath's suggestion, Bjarne Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language. It doesn't teach you programming as such (i.e. you should know some programming), but on the other hand it is complete - 13 chapters introducing all features of the language - and comes with a full language reference. Style is somewhat academic, and it takes considerably more than 24 hours to read it, but if you're serious about C++, it's the one.

aleph_null
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2002, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by kamprath:
<STRONG>
Undoubtedly it would be Bjarne Strousup's own book on the language he designed. It's not a book for the faint of heart of for someone who thinks all they need to do is make their way through a "Learn C++ in 24 hours" type book to be able to call themselves a "professional developer". However, for true professionals, it is an indispensable reference on ALL the nuances of C++.</STRONG>
i also agree with kamprath. it's very thorough, covers just about any question you might come up with. and yeah, i treat it as a reference, more than anything, but it's actually a pretty good read if you're already familliar with the basics ... i've sometimes found myself reading it just for the heck of it.

which scares me a little.

Forum Links
Forum Rules