Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Kill DOCK!!!

Kill DOCK!!!
Svenmagnus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2002, 02:58 PM

Does anyone hate the dock as much as i do. Please tell me that i'm not alone out here!

Someone please tell me that there is a hack to kill the dock.

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: Svenmagnus ]

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2002, 03:07 PM

I have heard of a few other people who hate the dock, but...

I don't. I think its one of the greatest features that Apple put into Mac OS X.

<Guy Incognito>
Apr 5, 2002, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Svenmagnus:
<STRONG>Does anyone hate the dock as much as i do. Please tell me that i'm not alone out here!

Someone please tell me that there is a hack to kill the dock.

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: Svenmagnus ]</STRONG>
Yeah there's a cool hack. Click Apple menu, click System Preferences, click Startup Disk and then click 'MacOS 9.2.x on IHateTheDock'. Hit 'Restart' to kill the dock.

Svenmagnus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2002, 03:34 PM

Some of the reason why the dock makes me so unhappy are best described by these links:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...ky15/?n-us-442

and

http://www.asktog.com/columns/044top10docksucks.html

<Guy Incognito>
Apr 5, 2002, 03:37 PM

The reason why you hate the dock is because you haven't found an app that takes advantage of some of the dock features such as icon badge visual feedback and docked app menus.

I have OW in my dock. It tells me right away when a site has been updated...I simply right-click on OW and open that site...without even having to bring the app to front.

I have Mail in my dock. It tells me right away when I got new mail.

I have Watson 1.5 in my dock. I can just right-click on the icon and go to the specific tool I wanna use right away...withoug having to bring the app to front.

I have Proteus in my dock. It tells me how many unread messages I've received. It tells me that I've received a message by bouncing once. I can set my status from the dock icon...without even having to bring the app to front.

I have Audion 2.6 in my dock. It gives me the remaining song time...I can skip to the next song...or choose to repeat the same song...or pause the song...without even having to bring the app to front.

Same with iTunes 2.

Of course...not everyone likes to have this efficiency. Some people are set in their ways and like to take the long paths.

Jan Van Boghout
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2002, 03:41 PM

I am personally a big fan of the Dock.

But opinions differ.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2002, 03:42 PM

LOL!

I got news for these dweebs writing these pointless articles:

THE DOCK IS HERE TO STAY! GET USED TO IT OR USE ANOTHER OS!

It's that simple.

...or, you could use your time to write a hack that kills it. But that would require no bitching and moaning, so why do it?

Some people act like Mac OS X is forced upon them, and they have no other choice but to use it. I mean, if I had as many gripes with an OS as some of these people, I would not hesitate to STOP USING IT. If they continue to use an OS that they hate, then it's their own stupidity that is making them unhappy. Go figure.[/LIST]

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2002, 03:43 PM

I like the Dock.

But if you wanted to kill it off, you could do this:

cd /System/Library/CoreServices

sudo rm -rf Dock.app

When you eventually get fed up and realize you want it back, download Pacifist to get it back.

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: CharlesS ]

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

<Guy Incognito>
Apr 5, 2002, 03:48 PM

<STRONG>Some of the reason why the dock makes me so unhappy are best described by these links:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...ky15/?n-us-442

and

http://www.asktog.com/columns/044top10docksucks.html</STRONG>
That's an old article from Tog. Most of those points are invalid now.

Tog's points 3 and 4 are irrelevant now...this was fixed a long time ago.

You create the dock...you know what's in your dock...therefore Tog's point number 8 and 9 are irrelevant.

If you minimize to the dock often, point number 7 might make sense (barely), if you don't, point 7 is irrelevant.

Now that you can position your dock on the left or right side of the screen, you don't need to waste precious vertical space. Point 10 only somewhat relevant.

Point 6 is relevant...of course, if your dock is full, or if you use the 'pin to corner' trick, the trash is in the corner.

Point 5 is simply ghey...of course if the dock is hidden you can't 'predict' if the cursor will land on what you want...but then again, you decided what goes into your dock, so you have a good idea where your stuff is.

Point 2 is an opinion from a disgruntled ex-Apple employee.

Point 1 is valid to some extent.

The list should be called 'Top 10 Reasons the Apple Dock Sucks for People With Alzheimers or Short-Term Memory Loss'

Svenmagnus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2002, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
<STRONG>I like the Dock.

But if you wanted to kill it off, you could do this:

sudo rm -rf Dock.app

When you eventually get fed up and realize you want it back, download Pacifist to get it back.

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: CharlesS ]</STRONG>
Thanks for the tip , but isn't there some way of doing it without actually deleting any files?

<Mrjinglesusa>
Apr 5, 2002, 04:05 PM

No.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2002, 04:43 PM

<STRONG>

Thanks for the tip , but isn't there some way of doing it without actually deleting any files?</STRONG>
Well, you could:

sudo mv Dock.app /sometempfolder/

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2002, 09:39 PM

I'm a fan of the dock! I think it's probably the single most important item for helping Apple win over some windows users....i think it's a great thing to have in a OS

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2002, 10:06 AM

I like the Dock as well...before I discovered Launchbar it got crowded but now, OS bliss....
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2002, 10:18 AM

The Dock sucks. I want to be able to mouse to the same place every time to launch something. Running applications should be in a different place. But the main reason that I hate it is that I've got about forty apps I use on a regular basis and I need (and want) layers. Draggable, clickable layers.

So I keep the dock hidden and use DragThing. Dock Schmock...
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2002, 11:03 PM

I too think the dock is useless. I don't it being part of OS X. I just don't want to use it. I minimize it as small as possible, turn off magnification and hide it. I rarely see it except by accident. I keep a folder with about fifty aliases pointing to applications documents and folders. I like having things in a grid and I like having names attached to everything without having to scrub the mouse over them. Also, I made a background graphic for that window and sort the different kinds of aliases to different background colors making it easier to find what I am looking for.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2002, 11:42 PM

I really like the Dock, I just don't like the bouncing action when an app running in the background has changed (like when you're surfing and get an instant message). I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't eat up so many resources; it really slows my computer down. I downloaded a hack once to stop it but I think it messed with my system so I trashed it.

T u r b o
Apr 10, 2002, 02:25 AM

I think the dock sucks. I got rid of mine.

mv /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app /Applications

It resides in the standard applications folder so I can start it if I ever need it for something, but that never really happens. Would be nice to be able to use the '-' button on the application titlebars to hide a window instead of minimize it to the dock, if the dock isn't there...

- Mike

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2002, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by T u r b o:
<STRONG>I think the dock sucks. I got rid of mine.

It resides in the standard applications folder so I can start it if I ever need it for something, but that never really happens. Would be nice to be able to use the '-' button on the application titlebars to hide a window instead of minimize it to the dock, if the dock isn't there...

- Mike</STRONG>
Can't WindowShade X do that?

T u r b o
Apr 10, 2002, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
<STRONG>

Can't WindowShade X do that?</STRONG>
Not version v1.5. It has an option to hide the entire application, but not just a single window...

- Mike

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2002, 03:47 PM

While I am a HUGE fan of the dock I do see the need to be able to disable it for users that do not want it....although if you hide it what damage is being done?

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2002, 05:38 PM

The damage that is done by just hiding the dock is that the damn thing pops up whenever you accidentally mouse to the bottom of the screen (or wherever your dock is). And it annoys you by bouncing icons even when hidden. And I don't want to install a haxie (although I like them) to get rid of a "feature" I don't want. I'd rather just turn the dock off. But then I wouldn't be able to minimize windows.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

symonsl
Apr 11, 2002, 09:42 PM

- Mike</STRONG>

What happens if you hide or minimize an application? How do you get back to it?

Just curious.

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: symonsl ]

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2002, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by symonsl:
<STRONG>

Just curious.

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: symonsl ]</STRONG>
I use ASM. It restores the application menu at the top right of the screen that we had in OS 9. I also put a trash can on the desk top (I think it is called wastebasket, but I never use it. Just control–click to get the contextual menu and delete from there.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2002, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by smeger:
<STRONG>The Dock sucks. I want to be able to mouse to the same place every time to launch something. Running applications should be in a different place. But the main reason that I hate it is that I've got about forty apps I use on a regular basis and I need (and want) layers. Draggable, clickable layers.

So I keep the dock hidden and use DragThing. Dock Schmock...</STRONG>
I have come to like the dock very much now that I can put it on the right hand side of the screen where it belongs! I really use it for (1) real time feedback of memory, cpu, and network use and to keep a visual list of my running apps.

For a launcher, that (IMHO) even beats Launchbar, try this:

1. Get a multi-button mouse.
2. Get MaxMenus
3. Get USB Overdrive.
4. Make a launch menu (folder full of file aliases). with MaxMenus. Assign this something like &lt;f9&gt; to pop it up.
5. Uses USB OD to assign, say, "middle button click" to type &lt;f9&gt;.

Presto, a launcher that pops up under your mouse cursor! Can't get much easier than that.

You can go further and assign a full hierarchical file browser that pops up under the mouse cursor.

Since USB OD has the ability to create sets of customized mouse button assignments that change from one application to the next, you can even make your popup menus application specific.

However you proceed, the trick for me was to convert the dock into sort of a "task bar on steroids" and put file browsing and app launching somewhere else. Then I was very happy with it.

<Turbo>
Apr 15, 2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by symonsl:
<STRONG>

Just curious.
[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: symonsl ]</STRONG>
I use Keyboard Maestro, and Opt-Tab between programs. One thing that is missing though, is the ability to cycle through an applications individual windows. Is there something out there that provides this yet? I used to have one program for OS9 that provided both, and I had them assigned to Opt-Tab and Ctrl-Tab, and it was great. I've long forgotten the name of the OS9 program since I haven't used it for over a year, but I still miss it, and would love something like this for OSX.

- Mike

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 15, 2002, 08:46 PM

I love the Dock. I love having all my commonly used apps right there for opening and controlling.

I don't understand the use of other Dock-like programs. They look like crap and they have a bunch of functionality I don't want. The Dock isn't perfect but once you are familiar with it, it's great.

I love AIM apps like Adium and Fire which can give you a single bounce to get your attention then flash until you read the IM. It's such an easy way to see what's going on.

Progress bars in the Dock are cool too. As more and more developers take advantage of the Dock's capabilities, it becomes better and better (and that much more of a reason to not look twice at other Dock-like apps).

kamprath
Apr 16, 2002, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Turbo&gt;:
<STRONG>

I use Keyboard Maestro, and Opt-Tab between programs. One thing that is missing though, is the ability to cycle through an applications individual windows. Is there something out there that provides this yet? I used to have one program for OS9 that provided both, and I had them assigned to Opt-Tab and Ctrl-Tab, and it was great. I've long forgotten the name of the OS9 program since I haven't used it for over a year, but I still miss it, and would love something like this for OSX.

- Mike</STRONG>
The name of the Classic Mac OS application you were using is Program Switcher, which I wrote. I also wrote Keyboard Maestro, so you'd think I'd put the window switching in there. Unfortunately, under MacOS X, due to "protected memory" and all those other cool things, I can't "hack" the system like I could under Classic MacOS. The window switcher was definately a system hack. As a result, I need to depend on the APIs that Apple provides, and they have provided none that support the implementation of a global window switcher. I have requested it from them many, many times. Now, others have reverse engineered the "window server" and have been able to get to system level calls that would enable a utility to implement a "window switcher". I have even wrote private prototype code exploiting the undocument & unsupported and made a window switcher to prove to myseld what needs to be done. However, since it is undocumented, unsupported, and definately a "hack" (a no-no under "protected memory"), I will not publish a product based on it - that is, I will not knowing create a utility that technically violates system security and creates potential instabilities. Instead, I have been (unsuccessfully) lobbying Apple to open up the API that Dock depends on to get it's window list of each application so 3rd party developers can create others spins on the same functionality.

Michael Kamprath
--
Michael F. Kamprath

<Turbo>
Apr 18, 2002, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by kamprath:
<STRONG>

The name of the Classic Mac OS application you were using is Program Switcher, which I wrote. I also wrote Keyboard Maestro, so you'd think I'd put the window switching in there. Unfortunately, under MacOS X, due to "protected memory" and all those other cool things, I can't "hack" the system like I could under Classic MacOS. The window switcher was definately a system hack. As a result, I need to depend on the APIs that Apple provides, and they have provided none that support the implementation of a global window switcher. I have requested it from them many, many times. Now, others have reverse engineered the "window server" and have been able to get to system level calls that would enable a utility to implement a "window switcher". I have even wrote private prototype code exploiting the undocument & unsupported and made a window switcher to prove to myseld what needs to be done. However, since it is undocumented, unsupported, and definately a "hack" (a no-no under "protected memory"), I will not publish a product based on it - that is, I will not knowing create a utility that technically violates system security and creates potential instabilities. Instead, I have been (unsuccessfully) lobbying Apple to open up the API that Dock depends on to get it's window list of each application so 3rd party developers can create others spins on the same functionality.

Michael Kamprath</STRONG>
If a hack was good enough for OS9, why isn't it good enough now?

I ask because functionality is critical for me. "Hell, I'd piss on a sparkplug if I thought it'd do any good".

- Mike

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2002, 01:47 AM

- Mike</STRONG>
Technically wouldn't that replace the Applications folder with Dock.app? Shouldn't it be...

sudo mv /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app /Applications/Dock.app

Don't want to screw anyone up...

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2002, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
<STRONG>Technically wouldn't that replace the Applications folder with Dock.app? Shouldn't it be...

sudo mv /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app /Applications/Dock.app

Don't want to screw anyone up...</STRONG>
Ha... do you think unix would allow you to simply replace a directory by accident like this? If the target of a cp, mv, or other such action is a directory, it is assumed that you meant to target inside that directory -- i.e. sudo mv /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app /Applications is automatically translated to sudo mv /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app /Applications/Dock.app. Don't sweat it, dude.
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2002, 02:53 PM

"If a hack was good enough for OS9, why isn't it good enough now?"

Because in X it can crash the system?

Forum Links
Forum Rules