Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Using smtp.mac.com ->My ISP blocked port 25 HELP!

Using smtp.mac.com ->My ISP blocked port 25 HELP!
MacMatrix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2002, 10:32 AM

Is there a way to bypass this?

My IP provider blocked port 25 and I am forced to use there SMTP server.
Since port 25 is blocked is there a way to divert port 25 to lets say port 26 using -> ipfw divert 25 to port 26 ?

I wonder if they just blocked the ip address smtp.mac.com?

I also wonder if smtp.mac.com will resend packets using port there port 25?

Wonder if I divert my port 25 to port 26 to smtp.mac.com:26 think this would work?

Man these ports are driving me crazy.
Bla

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2002, 10:54 AM

No, it won't work.

What you can do is change your configurations to use your ISP's SMTP server.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2002, 10:56 AM

uhhhh....no.

You can't "divert" a port like that, unless you have control of yet another machine that would route incomming port 26 requests to smtp.mac.com port 25. kinda like an smtp proxy.

You're screwed.
Get an ISP that doesn't give you crippled access to the internet.
Incidently, have you tried the SSL option for your mac.com account?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2002, 02:28 PM

It's really not that big of a deal to use someone else's SMTP servers to send your mail. Just configure your mail client to receive mail from mac.com and send mail through your ISP's SMTP server.

The reason they did that was to prevent their customers from being sleazy spammers (or being unwitting spam relayers).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

kamprath
Apr 25, 2002, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
<STRONG>It's really not that big of a deal to use someone else's SMTP servers to send your mail. Just configure your mail client to receive mail from mac.com and send mail through your ISP's SMTP server.

The reason they did that was to prevent their customers from being sleazy spammers (or being unwitting spam relayers).</STRONG>
It IS a big deal!

I doubt that is their intentions. I've been seing a disturbing trend among broadband ISPs to arbitrarily block certain types of internet use and charge more to unblock it. This is a thinly veiled attempt to extract as much $$$$ from customers as possible. The ISP's use arbitrary excuses like "We don't support that for home accounts, but for $XYZ, you can upgrade to this super-duper account."

Port 25 may seem a contentious issue to explain why this practice of ISPs is bad, so I will use a similar (technologically) scenario. Here in the Bay Area, cable modem companies have begun blocking VPN traffic (something that wasn't previously blocked). If you don't know what VPN is, its a way for someone to securely log into their work's computer intranet from home over the internet. Very popular and condusive to tele-commuting here in the Bay Area. Local cable modem companies are now saying that VPN usage is a "corporate use" of the internet and so the user should pay "corporate rates" for the internet access. WTF. An internet connection is an internet connection. Blocking the VPN traffic arbitarily didn't result in a reduction of rates for the user, but an opportunity for the cable modem ISP to increase rates. People are fast migrating to DSL because of this behavior by cable modem ISPs.

Folks, as a matter of principle, you should not accept any sort of arbitary limitations on your internet connection (other than bandwidth). Blocking outbound Port 25 access may seem OK because its viewed as a spam deterent, but if you really know anything about the internet you'd realize that a spammer can get around that - chiefly by getting a new ISP. This behaviour on the part of the ISP is really a way for them to CONTROL the way you use the internet, and charge you fees based on how you use it. It would be just as easy for an ISP to block the FTP port and charge you a "nominal fee" to allow FTP usage of the internet "because people who FTP tend to use more bandwidth." IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE!!!! This behaviour on the part of ISPs is just a way for them to tax you based on how you use the internet. Do not let such behavior to continue. If you ISP blocks any part of your internet connection, FIND A NEW ONE NOW!

Michael Kamprath

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: kamprath ]
--
Michael F. Kamprath

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2002, 04:43 PM

Ask why they blocked the port.

Tell them why you need it. If you're on broadband they should be
amenable.

If you get a lot of flack from them and that they refuse to let you
do it, kick their lame ass to the curb and get a real ISP.

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2002, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
<STRONG>uhhhh....no.

You can't "divert" a port like that, unless you have control of yet another machine that would route incomming port 26 requests to smtp.mac.com port 25. kinda like an smtp proxy.

You're screwed.
Get an ISP that doesn't give you crippled access to the internet.
Incidently, have you tried the SSL option for your mac.com account?</STRONG>
At the moment, I don't think the SSL option actually works with mac.com. It doesn't notify you, but Mail drops down to the regular IMAP or POP connection, not IMAPS or POPS.

Nephron
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2002, 10:37 PM

Hiya,

My ISP blocks this port. I just send my email out through the ISP's email server, with my incoming email set to my usual email account server.

Another option is the new beta for the web based email system from Apple.

webmail.mac.com

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules