Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Multiple clipboards

Multiple clipboards
Wes
May 28, 2002, 10:31 PM

Is it possible for Apple to implment multiple clipboards? There could be the normal one accessed through menus and command + C. Others could then be accessed through command + C + 1, command + C + 2 etc. I think it would be fairly useful when copying from multiple windows. You would only have to make one trip to the destaination file.

Can it be done? (More importantly, would it be useful?)

Brass
Professional Poster
May 28, 2002, 10:48 PM

hmmm... would you have to press the C & 1 keys simultaneously? If you didn't it'd be interpretted at CMD-C or CMD-1 depending on which keys went down first. How would such a thing work?

I think you'd need CMD-OPT-C-1 or something else to make it work.

kamprath
May 29, 2002, 01:10 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Wes:
<strong>Is it possible for Apple to implment multiple clipboards? There could be the normal one accessed through menus and command + C. Others could then be accessed through command + C + 1, command + C + 2 etc. I think it would be fairly useful when copying from multiple windows. You would only have to make one trip to the destaination file.

Can it be done? (More importantly, would it be useful?)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">You can get this functionality now with my shareware product, <a href="http://www.KeyboardMaestro.com/" target="_blank">Keyboard Maestro</a> . The free Lite version allows you to utilize up to four clipboards in a manner similar to what you are requesting.
--
Michael F. Kamprath

Macanoid
Senior User
May 29, 2002, 02:27 AM

What you want is avaiable now: PTH Pasteboard. It's freeware, works like it should, and allows you to have a nearly unlimited number of clipboards.

The way I use it is simple: cmd-v for regular pasting, ctrl-v brings up a menu with my last 20 copied items from which I pick one.

Simple and free, a must-have piece of software

goose
Forum Regular
May 29, 2002, 04:14 AM

You might want to take a look at <a href="http://www.scriptsoftware.com/" target="_blank">CopyPaste</a> . It's a shareware app that does exactly what you want. There's a 30 day free demo of the app.

There's never enough when you have too little

eno
Banned
May 29, 2002, 07:58 AM

Of the apps that have been recommended so far:

</font>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">PTHPasteboard - the one to get... free, attractive, functional... perfect! </font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">CopyPasteX - powerful app, but it's got an ugly UI and it's not free.</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Keyboard Maestro - this guy needs to redesign his website. With a site that looks like that I am not even going to download it to try it out. </font></li>
<font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">

kamprath
May 29, 2002, 12:32 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by eno:
<strong>
</font>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Keyboard Maestro - this guy needs to redesign his website. With a site that looks like that I am not even going to download it to try it out. </font></li>
<font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">That's too bad (Now, what did my mom always say about judging a book by its cover?). I will admit my talents are more in the code design & implementation than in graphic design. While I did try to put together a usable website, I didn't realize it would be the final arbiter of code quality. Hmmm
--
Michael F. Kamprath

ford prefect
Forum Regular
May 30, 2002, 04:22 AM

Dont take it too hard. But it is important to remember thant many mac users are very much affected by astetics.(sp) Why do think there is so much beeyotching about aqua and how loud or busy it is?

To improve your website, got to other websites (snaps pro, whatever that site is) and just basically copy them. You'll probably get more downloads.

Just a thought.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2002, 10:33 AM

Unless his web site has changed radically, I think it's quite cool, does what it's meant to etc... And the computer with arms thing is sort of old school as well.

Don't know about the software though, I use Quickeys.
I have Mac

lookmark
Mac Elite
May 30, 2002, 10:44 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by eno:
Keyboard Maestro - this guy needs to redesign his website. With a site that looks like that I am not even going to download it to try it out.[/list][/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Your loss -- Keyboard Maestro is excellent.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
May 30, 2002, 10:46 AM

Is there any performance hit with any of these apps? I remember trying out CopyPaste back in the days of System 8.1 and it bogged things down terribly, despite being otherwise useful. It's been enough to keep me away from trying other implementations of the same idea since then.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 30, 2002, 11:02 AM

I think 3rd party app's and the like are the best way to go for this sort of functionality. Multiple clipboards introduces another layer of complexity to the OS that is un-neaded by new users (cmd,c,1 to copy to clipboard 1 etc.) Apple shouldn't be incorparating this sort of thing into the OS leave it to the little guys (who seam to have it covered quite well) for the people who want it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2002, 02:50 PM

This is functionality that should have been built into the Mac OS long, long ago. I am glad that third parties have availed themselves of the opportunity, but it should be a standard thing. There's no reason not to have multiple clipboards - those who don't want to think about the feature don't have to learn about the separate keystroke. And power users can be much more productive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules