Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 54)
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 02:39 PM

No backwards compatibility with xbox 360 or xbox live arcade games. I'm not surprised.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 02:41 PM

Neither am I, though it'd be nice if they could have found a way to keep the Arcade games.

Edit: That said, I haven't played any of my Arcade games recently.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2013, 02:42 PM

I'm going to watch the videos before I can make any comments on how excited, or not, I am.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 02:43 PM

How Xbox One Plans to Fight Sony, Steam, and Everything Else | Game|Life | Wired.com
Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.
Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.
Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing service, which means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself. This would necessitate the game requiring a connection.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2013, 02:45 PM

I'm withholding any substantial judgment until E3, but that event was underwhelming for me.

My thoughts, questions, and concerns:
- I don't have cable or satellite TV, and I'm not getting it for this, so scratch all the TV functionality.
- I don't care that it's not backwards-compatible. I know there will always be complaints, but NBD.
- It runs Windows? Does this mean I'll be signing up for Norton Antivirus?
- I don't want to wave my hands or speak commands to a console, whether it be via Kinect or PlayStation Eye.
- I can imagine it hearing me asking the wife, "Did you leave the XBox on?" before leaving for a trip. She replies, "No!" However, the XBox heard me and stays on for a week.
- Will running three operating systems simultaneously be a drag on system resources?
- I'm guessing most people will refer to it simply as "XBox," as calling it "One" is just awkward. Not a huge deal — "XBox" is fine.
- Eight brand-new franchises in the first year? I'm guessing the number will eventually be cut down, but that's still good news.
- The exclusivity deal with EA limiting "FIFA 14 Ultimate Team" to XBox One is a huge boon for Microsoft. FIFA fans eat that mode up. Expect to hear a lot of moaning about this.
- Forza 5 as a launch title is definitely nice.
- The console is said to be "4x quieter." Definitely a plus.
- Gamerscores will carry over. That doesn't help me much, but Crosbie and Bogues? Yep.
- There's a dedicated "Game DVR." I wonder how that constant read/write will affect the hardware's longevity, but sounds nice.
- The console looks huge, and a bit ugly, but the latter isn't really a concern. The first and third PS3 designs were a little meh, IM

Also, concerning the impulse triggers:

The biggest addition was definitely the "impulse triggers" -- essentially, little rumble motors built into each trigger, which allows you to "feel the kick in the trigger", as one of the engineers put it. The triggers felt otherwise very similar to that of the current 360 gamepad, though they're a bit larger, have more rounded edges, and the gap between them and the shoulder buttons is non-existent.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2013, 02:50 PM

I know blu-ray is also useful for much larger games, but I don't care about Cable TV or any disc-based media.

What is comes down to is my choice will be determined after all the unknowns get answered in regards to both systems. If the PS4 can keep a price match with the Xbox then my money could honestly go either way.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2013, 02:51 PM

Sony's stock went up 8% following the XBox One event:

The Xbox One event has just wrapped up in Redwood, and we’ll have a full round up in a bit. However, following the conference Sony’s stock price has jumped 8%, while Microsoft’s has fallen by around 0.2%, which doesn’t really look like the reaction Microsoft were hoping for.

This change could be an indication that investors think that Sony have the upper hand in the build up to the launch of the next generation of both company’s hardware and were disappointed by what Microsoft had to show of the Xbox One. While Microsoft have shown that the Xbox One is a technically impressive machine, their lack of focus on games may be dissuading investors, as well as their media centric approach today.

Of course this reaction could all switch by the time E3 rolls round, where both companies will be doing their utmost to impress.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 21, 2013, 02:53 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Sony's stock went up 8% following the XBox One event:
Doesn't mean shit. Stock trends make no god damned sense.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 02:57 PM

Aside from better graphics/more power/etc. I'm kind of excited to finally have Blu-Ray. I wouldn't use it for everything, but it'd be nice for some more cinematic/favorite titles.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2013, 03:00 PM

Why is it called "XBox One"?
Third times, Dakar?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Will be a huge deal.

GameStop and Best Buy employees mislead customers due to personal preferences daily, and loads of sheeple are more than willing to go along with their advice. If they have vested interest in steering moms, dads, and grandmothers towards a particular console, it can potentially make a sizable dent.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
So far I'm happy, although I don't know why it's called the Xbox One.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
All-in-One

exca1ibur
Mac Elite

all-in-one

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 03:03 PM

Will be a huge deal.
Sony fanboys (not you) are celebrating a bit early on this one. Sony already said they were leaving the option up to Publishers, and I very much doubt EA got rid of the Online Pass but will allow PS4 players to pass discs around out of the kindness of their heart.

Edit: My question is, supposedly there will be a fee to install the game on a second account. How can that fee be any less than full price?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 21, 2013, 03:04 PM

Will be a huge deal.
I think so too. They just confirmed that if you have multiple accounts on the same machine there will be fees "per account".

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I think so too. They just confirmed that if you have multiple accounts on the same matching there will be fees "per account".
Which is bullshit. Live Gold doesn't even give any big benefits, the least they could do is allow multiple Gold subscribers in the same house access to the disc like its always been. It's ridiculous to think people are going to get gouged because they have two kids.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 03:10 PM

Here's my question: Let's say person A and B both have consoles offline. Can they both install the game from the same disc and play? I'm thinking online registration must be mandatory to some degree (like a 48 hour courtesy period).

Whatever the answers are, we're gonna see a lot of new hoop jumping this gen.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 03:14 PM

Where's this "big thing" that some were expecting. What's really new - apart from the hardware?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 21, 2013, 03:14 PM

There could be a system check to see home many instances of the game are installed directly on the system. Only one account will work, until you log on and verify (pay).

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 21, 2013, 03:15 PM

What the hell are impulse triggers?
I didn't see any. I was looking at that while reviewing the specs I posted.

The only thing for me is the Blue-Ray drive, but everyone else probably has one of those.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 21, 2013, 03:17 PM

Impulse Triggers are rumble motors built into the triggers.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 03:21 PM

Here's my question: Let's say person A and B both have consoles offline. Can they both install the game from the same disc and play? I'm thinking online registration must be mandatory to some degree (like a 48 hour courtesy period).

Whatever the answers are, we're gonna see a lot of new hoop jumping this gen.
My bet is that you'll install the game and there will be a little 100k file that needs to be downloaded so that the game actually starts.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 03:25 PM

"The integration of voice and gesture control with social features and real-time sharing are crucial and create the opportunity for consumers to have a complete entertainment hub of which Xbox is the epicentre," said Fred Huet from research firm Greenwich Consulting.
From here : BBC News - Microsoft unveils Xbox One next-generation console

So you can flip the bird at your Facebook friends?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 03:32 PM

Question answered:

Here's my question: Let's say person A and B both have consoles offline. Can they both install the game from the same disc and play?
Xbox One may require game installs, close out used game market [Update] | Joystiq

In a post answering "top questions" about the Xbox One, the official Microsoft page notes the system "does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet." Additionally Microsoft notes that in the case of pre-owned software, the Xbox one is designed "to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We'll have more details to share later." The Q&A makes no mention of the fees confirmed by Microsoft to Wired.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 03:38 PM

Maybe they're being twats about 2nd hand games to sell more PCs.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 03:41 PM

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 03:43 PM

Third times, Dakar?
Because the PS4 is 4X better!!!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 03:43 PM

You know what? I bet we're going have to accept user agreements to play every game.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 03:47 PM

My thoughts, questions, and concerns:
- Blah
- Blah
- Blah
- Blah
- Blah
- Blah
- Blah
- Blah
- Blah
- Blah
- Blah
- There's a dedicated "Game DVR." I wonder how that constant read/write will affect the hardware's longevity, but sounds nice.
- Blah
- Blah
What's this about a game DVR?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 03:50 PM

I wonder if we'll see pass price lag compared to the new copy price lowering. Given XBOX On Demand, very likely.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 03:59 PM

I wonder what they have up their sleeves for E3, apart from release date and price.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 21, 2013, 04:02 PM

I was hoping for Illumiroom

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I was hoping for Illumiroom
I don't know how I forgot about that, was just seeing stuff about it yesterday. Maybe they're saving it to be the next mid-gen kinect...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 04:08 PM

Some guy's theory: Xbox 360 News: Xbox One games are locked to Xbox Live accounts, but there's no "pre-owned fee" - Xbox 360 - The Official Magazine

"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play," a Microsoft representative told Wired today. This has been styled a "pre-owned block", but OXM's Jon Hicks (who's currently in Redmond, checking out the new console) argues otherwise - when you sell the game on Microsoft will deactivate your install via unspecified methods, meaning the next purchaser won't have to pay the second-user fee. You won't, however, be able to share a single copy of a game with your friends.
I think we're going to see a lot of different fees structures. Same console sharing, second hand disc sharing, used disc...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 04:13 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 04:14 PM

Hey, there's a battery compartment:

P
May 21, 2013, 04:49 PM

- It runs Windows? Does this mean I'll be signing up for Norton Antivirus?
No, because you probably can't install anything not signed by MS.

(All Xboxen run a version of Windows ever since the first one).

- Will running three operating systems simultaneously be a drag on system resources?
This one I must have missed?

(Generally it is a drag on the RAM, but the hypervisor can simply not allocate CPU time to any OS not the front one if it's an issue)

- The console is said to be "4x quieter." Definitely a plus.
So 6 dB(a). Can't hurt, but I'd much rather hear an actual dB(a) number.

My first opinion is:

* Ugly as sin. Looks like something from the eighties. Going to be a terribly low WAF on that one.
* If you're pushing the fact that the SOC has 5 billion transistors, it is because you don't have anything else to push. It is an utterly pointless measurement, and probably just a result of that rumored eSRAM. Looks like Sony won the hardware battle this time.
* OTOH, MS has lots of games lined up already. They aim to hit the ground running. They may very well launch better than Sony, and that can translate into a head start that Sony never manages to catch up to.
* I guess we know why EA is canceling the online pass program.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
* If you're pushing the fact that the SOC has 5 billion transistors, it is because you don't have anything else to push. It is an utterly pointless measurement, and probably just a result of that rumored eSRAM. Looks like Sony won the hardware battle this time.
Like last time. Now, will the XBOX be noticeably cheaper again?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 05:03 PM

This asinine.

"You're wrong."
"So what is right?"
"We'll tell you later."

P
May 21, 2013, 06:10 PM

Like last time. Now, will the XBOX be noticeably cheaper again?
Could be. The main saving is in the memory type. One difference, however, is that the 360 was easier to code for than the PS3, while the PS4 looks to be easier than the "Xbox One" (yeah, I think it has to be in quotes for a while).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 21, 2013, 07:54 PM

More fuel for the fire

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.
Always online - sort of

--

The aforementioned 'fee' to play games on a second account? Full MSRP. So unless you want to use your account for your entire family, you'll be dishing out an extra $40, $50, $60 for siblings or friends to try out new games. Harrison did tell Kotaku that his company plans to allow gamers to 'trade' their used games online somehow - though declined to get into further details.

Microsoft Details Used Game Fees, Installation Requirements - IGN

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2013, 12:12 AM

Regarding the XBox One, I think this pretty much says it all:

Xbox One Reveal 2013 Highlights - YouTube

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2013, 01:14 AM

What if I buy an Xbox One and migrate my Live account over? Will i still be able to play my Xbox 360 using my X-Box live account and still earn gamerscore?

On a side note, I love the layout of the controller.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2013, 02:04 AM

Good question. Will Bogues have to make a Sophie's Choice?

P
May 22, 2013, 04:25 AM

On the operating system thing: Apparently it will be running a hypervisor - a sort of mini-OS that hosts other OSes - which in turn runs two copies of Windows. One will be the Xbox-specific OS, which is a derivative of Windows, and the other is plain ol' Windows 8. If you count like MS seems to be doing, that makes it three operating systems. By first estimate, this will mean that you will be RAM constrained (Windows is not exactly a low-memory OS, and you'll be running it twice before even starting a game), but with 8 cores, you're likely to have a CPU core or 4 available.

(Sidenote: Sony was clearly pushed to 8GB of their expensive GDDR5 RAM by leaks that MS was putting that much in, and now we see that MS is actually wasting it by running their heavy OS twice. In all likelihood, Sony could have got away with 4GB RAM running equivalent games. That's a big chunk of their hardware budget right there.)

Everything else they're saying is indicating that all the leaks about performance are correct. Each CPU core can apparently execute "6 operations per cycle", which is very high (By comparison, Sandy Bridge can at most sustain 5 operations per cycle, but that only happens in very unusual circumstances when the code mix is just so) but MS might be counting strangely (e.g. counting dispatch ports instead of issue ports - in which case you might finish 6 operations one cycle, but only because you were limping along at a much lower rate before that). The bandwidth numbers also add up to the sort of eSRAM setup that was rumored, and the rumored GPU operations per cycle (768) match exactly with the rumored 12 GCN CU setup. Whoever was leaking had access to good intel.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2013, 10:12 AM

My opinion on XBO:
1. They were a little too focused on "TV". Personally I do not watch TV (just netflix, DVD, BluRay). I'm doubt this will resonate with the "first wave audience" (gamers), or the wider market.
2. Not enough about games and exclusives (maybe that was left for E3 on purpose).
3. The hardware industrial design does not look "consumer friendly". It harkens back to the days when people hid their PCs in cabinets and under tables. (I think the original XB360 had a better design). The XBO reminds me of dev units sent out to developers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2013, 10:22 AM

Well, if MS was in a precarious position after the conference, they fell all the way down the abyss in the hours that followed. My best attempt to include all the new revelations.

Phil Harrison tries (again) to clarify game ownership, second-hand sales and always-online in Xbox One • News • Xbox One • Eurogamer.net
"What we're doing with the digital permissions that we have for Xbox One is no different to that. If I am playing on that disc, which is installed to the hard drive on my Xbox One, everybody in my household who has permission to use my Xbox One can use that piece of content. [So] I can give that piece of content to my son and he can play it on the same system.
So you can share games on a single console just like now.

"I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game," he explained.
http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-t...cros-509140825
But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.
Well that was obfuscatory for no reason. The fee is the cost of the game. Well, no shit.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.
Yeah, great. My friend wants to try the game but he can only do it on my profile. Stupid.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-requ...ay-o-509164109
Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.
Don't try to game after a natural disaster outage, I guess.

Update: Sounds like things are a mess over at Microsoft. Now they're telling Polygon that Harrison's comments illustrate a "potential scenario."

"While Phil [Harrison] discussed many potential scenarios around games on Xbox One, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," a Microsoft rep said. "There have been reports of a specific time period — those were discussions of potential scenarios, but we have not confirmed any details today, nor will we be"

Exclusive First Look at Xbox One | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
Xbox One you sign in to; stable, dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32.
What I've read is unclear on whether this potential or guaranteed.

Microsoft: 'Only Xbox One controllers, accessories will work with the new console.' | Joystiq
Microsoft confirmed to Joystiq only Xbox One controllers and accessories are supported by the new console. The new system won't support the Xbox 360 controller or Xbox 360 Kinect.
My headset is dead anyway.

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...c-whitten.aspx
“It was my impression at the presentation that it [the Xbox One] was going to come packed in with the Kinect sensor array. It didn’t looked like it was packed in with the headset which to me having the headset was included in the last generation was really a pretty crucial thing that drove chat and media and Xbox Live whilst Sony went with the piecemeal bluetooth accessory thing and in my opinion that really helped Xbox Live become a destination for multiplayer gaming. Do you feel that the new Kinect sensor replaces the headset in terms of multiplayer chat or why aren’t you including a headset?”
Oh.

Speaking of kinect: Microsoft talks Xbox One naming, privacy and more (Q&A) | Microsoft - CNET News
CNET: Kinect now needs to be on all the time. But there are obviously some people who say "I don't want this camera in my living room."
Henshaw: If you want privacy, we'll give you modes that ensure your privacy. And we actually have a little bit about this on the Web already. We will have something similar for the Kinect with Xbox One. The system is designed to have Kinect be an integral part of the experience. It's not the case where you'll be able to remove the camera altogether. But you'll be able to put the system in modes where you can be completely secure about the fact that the camera is off and can't see you.
CNET: There seems to be some confusion here about the ability to resell Xbox One games, or reuse Xbox One games among other users.
Henshaw: Let me clear that up unequivocally. Xbox One will support the reselling and used game market for Xbox One games. We have not announced details about exactly how it's going to work, or how licenses are going to be exchanged. That's all coming up later in the year. What we have announced is that a used game ecosystem will be supported, so people can breathe easy. They will be able to get used games.
My prediction is they're going to create a RMAH-like service where they get a cut of all resold activation codes.

And finally, for humor's sake:
Gamestop president: Sony and Microsoft 'see the value' in used games on next-gen | Polygon
When asked about Xbox One's potential second-hand fee, Bartel said the information came "as a surprise" and declined to comment "on speculation."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2013, 10:32 AM

So, what's my take? Well, if Sony doesn't mirror the activation codes and used game blocking, doesn't debut at $499, and doesn't require daily online connections, I think I'm on board.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2013, 11:04 AM

Oh man

Forum Links
Forum Rules