Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > annoying grid in Word v. X

annoying grid in Word v. X
electroJerm
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2002, 11:06 AM

Here's a problem I get all the time when reading MS Word files that I get as file attachments or sent over networks from Windows Word documents....

I open the document up, go to edit it in page layout view, and see an annoying grey grid behind the text. I've looked through all the preferences, but have yet to find out what causes this grid to be displayed. As far as I know, it doesn't display on page layout views of documents created by Mac versions of MS Word. The grid has no affect (it doesn't show up when printing), but its very annoying.

Anyone else get this grid thing on Page Layout View? Anyone know how to turn it off?
( Last edited by electroJerm; Oct 15, 2002 at 04:45 AM. )
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2002, 04:46 AM

I haven't heard any responses on this, so I figured I'd reply to get it back to the top of the list.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2002, 10:33 AM

Could you post a screenshot of this phenomenon? I've edited Word files from a PC on a Mac using Word vX and vice versa, and never seen anything like this.

Originally posted by electroJerm:
I haven't heard any responses on this, so I figured I'd reply to get it back to the top of the list.

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2002, 11:50 AM

Here's a look:

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2002, 01:11 PM

Wow, that is messed up. Like I said earlier, I've never seen this despite considerable Mac <-> PC interoperation with Word. Let's try to pinpoint this some more:

- Which version of Windows Office are you using?
- Do you see this in all PC Word files, or just those coming from a particular computer?
- If you create a Word file on the Mac, send it to the PC, edit it there, and bring it back again, do you see this?

Here's a look:

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2002, 01:27 PM

And most importantly, does the grid print out? If not, its merely annoying.

boardsurfer
Oct 15, 2002, 04:38 PM

Item --> Hide Grid Lines?

That is where it is for Word 2k. Try searching the help section.

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2002, 12:46 AM

Okay, I did a bit more expermentation. First, the specs:

My system: Running OS X v. 10.2.1, running Office v.X (w/ service pack 1)
PC system: Windows XP, with MS Word XP

(note: this issue seems to occur on all documents I recieve from Windows MS Word, regardless of what version of Windows the PC is running or what version of Word. So in answer to Boochie's comment, this occurs in all word files I receive from PC's. Also, this DOES NOT occur under Word:Mac 2001 for OS 9)

First I created a file on my computer, sent it to the PC, edited it on the PC, and then sent it back... no gridlines.

Next I created a file on the PC, sent it to my computer... had gridlines

No, the grid doesn't print out, but yes, it is VERY annoying. From the Table menu you can check or uncheck gridlines, but that seems to only apply to tables, and not the entire document like mine.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2002, 09:53 AM

Word 2000 on Windows has a command "Grid..." under the Draw menu (which is in one of the toolbars). If I select it it brings up a screen that shows an option to display gridlines. When I click on that and return to page layout view, I see the same thing that you're seeing on the Mac. My Mac is at home, but I would guess that the same command is on the Draw toolbar in Word vX. Take a look at let us know what you find.

Okay, I did a bit more expermentation. First, the specs:

My system: Running OS X v. 10.2.1, running Office v.X (w/ service pack 1)
PC system: Windows XP, with MS Word XP

(note: this issue seems to occur on all documents I recieve from Windows MS Word, regardless of what version of Windows the PC is running or what version of Word. So in answer to Boochie's comment, this occurs in all word files I receive from PC's. Also, this DOES NOT occur under Word:Mac 2001 for OS 9)

First I created a file on my computer, sent it to the PC, edited it on the PC, and then sent it back... no gridlines.

Next I created a file on the PC, sent it to my computer... had gridlines

No, the grid doesn't print out, but yes, it is VERY annoying. From the Table menu you can check or uncheck gridlines, but that seems to only apply to tables, and not the entire document like mine.

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 01:44 PM

I just did some testing since I'm in a very similar environment to electroJerm.

My test boxen:
PC: Windows 2k w/ Office XP
Mac: TiBook 800, OS 10.1.4 w/ Office V.x

File was created on the PC, placed in a shared directory and then copied to the Mac desktop.

Initially I didn't see any gridlines, the file was just the same as on the PC.

Then I read Boochie's last comment and verified that he was correct. I opened the Drawing toolbar via the main toolbar. Then I opened the menu at the top of the toolbar. This menu had a "Grid..." entry in it which opened a dialog that had a "Display Gridlines on Screen" checkbox that did exactly what you'd expect.

Enjoy. I can put up screenshots if my convoluted instructions don't make sense.

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2002, 11:55 PM

That command on the Menu from the drawing toolbar seems to have fixed the problem. I wonder why it became default that way with my Office v. X install. Thanks for the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules