Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quicksilver display wont activate after inactivity

Quicksilver display wont activate after inactivity
electroJerm
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2003, 05:37 PM

I searched the forums for something like this, and haven't found anything as yet. Basically, I'm running a Quicksilver 733 with 10.2.4 and a 15" Studio Display. I leave my computer on at night (Yay! Uptimes!) and I have my display set to turn off (through Energy Saver) automatically after 2 minutes of inactivity. Normally, when I'd return to my computer after an hour or the next morning or sometimes just 10 minutes, I'd move my mouse, and the screen would pop back on and I'd be back to using the comp.

For some reason however, sometimes I go back to my computer, move my mouse expecting to see my screen come to life, and instead it stays black. Additionally, the sleep button on the monitor doesn't work (it lights up upon touch, but does nothing) and reinserting USB connectors and the ADC connector to the back of G4 has no effect. When this happens I have to force shutdown (holding power for 8 seconds) and restart.

If anyone has any idea what might be causing this, let me know. Or perhaps, ask me more questions that might spark new ideas in my head.

Note: this isn't a question about waking from sleep... My comp does that fine... this only regards returning after inactivity.
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2003, 05:42 PM

Sounds like your video card has problems. Grounding perhaps.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2003, 05:47 PM

Grounding? Can you explain a bit more about that?

However, I don't believe there's anything wrong with the videocard... I've never had a single problem with it and this is a problem that just recently started occuring (Maybe with 10.2.4 upgrade? - I don't remember if it occured or not under 10.2.3)

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2003, 06:11 PM

I had a similar problem. When I put my computer to sleep at night (dual 800, 17" CRT ADC display, GF3), sometimes my display would come on. The lights would all activate, but no video would show up. I read that it could be my PMU (power management unit?), the chip on your logic board (or is it on the mother board?) that manages the power to your machine -- it tells your monitor when to turn on, wake up, manages your PRAM, all that other jive. So I reset it and all has been fine. It's a small button inside your Mac. I suggest checking the Apple Knowledge Base before trying anything, of course, just to be safe. Good luck.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2003, 06:15 PM

I never trust the built in sleep.

Just leave your machine running fully (it won't use much more power than when in sleep) and turn off the display.

Problem solved.

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2003, 06:19 PM

Hmm... I'm not sure if these things will solve my problem, cause I don't put my computer to sleep.

Since its NOT asleep, this isn't a problem with waking. The display is just doing a normal auto shutoff based on energy saver controls, and normally just jiggling the mouse or hitting a button or key will reactive at the screen (JUST the screen, cause the computer IS ALWAYS AWAKE).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2003, 06:39 PM

Hrm, well in that case wouldn't it just be easier to switch the power completely off to the monitor? Granted it will take a little bit longer to come into view than if it was just in the "power saving" mode, but not by much.

Course if you really enjoy just jiggling the mouse and "waking" the monitor and don't want to hit the on button than my point is nill.

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 05:16 AM

Has anyone actually encountered this specific problem? I appreciate all of the suggestions so far, but most them are to change my routine, rather than solutions to the problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules