Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Heat, Noise, and "Comfort" issues; 12" vs 14" vs 15"?

Heat, Noise, and "Comfort" issues; 12" vs 14" vs 15"?
psurfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 03:43 PM

Anyone have a chance to compare G4 iBooks (12, 14") to current Pb's (12, 15") in terms of case heat and fan noise?

As far as noise, I've read a few reports here that the new 12" iBook stays quiet, hope that's also true w/the 14"

And as long as we're comparing heat (hot spots underneath? Rising heat in your face?) , how do you feel they compare for "lapability", that is to say, ease of balance (like on one knee or sofa arm), comfortable adaptibility to many diff seating positions, etc? --Probably boils down to whether more size and weight (12" vs 14/15") helps or hurts this user comfort index, combined with the slipperiness of the materials.

pks1850
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by psurfer:
Anyone have a chance to compare G4 iBooks (12, 14") to current Pb's (12, 15") in terms of case heat and fan noise?

As far as noise, I've read a few reports here that the new 12" iBook stays quiet, hope that's also true w/the 14"

And as long as we're comparing heat (hot spots underneath? Rising heat in your face?) , how do you feel they compare for "lapability", that is to say, ease of balance (like on one knee or sofa arm), comfortable adaptibility to many diff seating positions, etc? --Probably boils down to whether more size and weight (12" vs 14/15") helps or hurts this user comfort index, combined with the slipperiness of the materials.
Can't say much about the Powerbook, but I've got a 12" G4 ibook, and it hasn't made a sound yet.

As for "lapability," it's perfect. My wife often comments how much she loves the portability of the laptop... she can take it anywhere around the house.

Heat isn't a huge issue on the ibook. I will say, the bottom of the ibook does get warm during prolonged use. It gets a tad uncomfortable, but liveable. The wrist area gets midly warm, but nothing to worry about.

Overall, I'm happy I got the 12" ibook. I though have a 12" screen would be a problem (I use a 21" monitor at work). But the resolution is good enough to make small text readable and sharp (at least for me). My wife feels the same way, and her eyesight is less then spectacular

wildcard
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2003, 06:48 PM

Owning a 12" G4 Ibook, and having owned a 12" G3 Ibook, a 12" Rev A. Powerbook, and a 15" Tibook, here are my observations.

Heat->The g4 Ibook generates as much heat as a 12" Powerbook, according to Temperature Monitor. Having said that, the surface material is different. The bottom doesn't get quite as hot at the P-books, and the top definitely doesn't have the heat transfer issues of the Aluminum models. I would be far more willing to use the ibook while wearing shorts than a metal Powerbook.

Lapability-the bigger, the more awkward they can be as far as lap seating goes. They all balance particularly well, the hinge moves pretty far to allow for seating posture on all models. I will say that the polycarbonate bottom tends to "stick" more to bare skin like a leg, so the one knee option works best with an Ibook.

psurfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 03:57 PM

Thanks, these are the kind of facts you only find out after living w/the thing.

I've been used to an original mdl clamshell iBook (300), which is built for comfort, tack of bottom material doesn't slide easily, etc. (But it's S-l-o-w.) So I want the replacement to not give up too much ergonomically.

Eciton
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2003, 05:07 PM

My new 12 is currently running at 47 degrees, according to a utility, and does feel warm to the touch. I watched a DVD earlier and it became quite painful to the touch on the bottom, and very warm on the palmrest. As to noise, the HDD can be a little loud, the combo drive is obviously quite loud, and there is a gentle whisper from the fan - certainly nothing noticeable.

wildcard
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2003, 05:27 PM

Fan threshold temps (from experience)

12" Rev A. Powerbook- 145 degrees F
12" G4 Ibook-155 degrees F

At these temperatures, the internal fans kick on.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2003, 05:36 PM

I currently own a 15inch AlBook and I can say that in terms of heat it is not that bad. I wouldn't wear shorts and try to use the thing on my lap, but it does not generate a terrible amount of heat performing day to day tasks while on your lap. I use mine in an academic environment.

I was considering the 12 inch G4 iBook but ultimately decided on the 15 inch Powerbook. Portability is important to me as I travel a lot but I really fell for the 15 inch Book in the Apple Store. They're both great machines though and you'll be happy with either one.

Incidentally, the Powerbook I have now runs cooler than my old Pismo 400.

Forum Links
Forum Rules