Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > storing a powerbook for 3 weeks

storing a powerbook for 3 weeks
cal4ever
Dec 14, 2003, 07:03 AM

Sorry if this has already been asked, I searched for a similar topic, but I couldn't find anything.

I'll be travelling for about 3 weeks this winter break. I don't plan to bring my powerbook (12'' rev b, superdrive) with me. Is there a proper way I should store my pb? What should I do with the battery? Should I take it out?

Thanks in advance

toans
Dec 14, 2003, 06:51 PM

I think the manual that came with your PB will tell you how to do this....I'm pretty sure it's something along the lines of removing your battery..

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 07:33 PM

I would think that if you perform a "shutdown" and not just a "sleep", your PowerBook should be fine for the 3 weeks -- just make sure it is locked up so it is difficult to steal!

...Being without your PowerBook for three weeks? Are you crazy, man? Time to seek professional help...

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2003, 11:45 PM

Hell I'm travelling to brasil for 2 weeks and my powerbook is coming with me. The xmas present I'm working on for my gf's family involves a pictorial of their dog, going to shoot it on my EOS 10D and process the images in PS 8.

That and I just love my powerbook, can't go anywhere without it.

cal4ever  (op)
Dec 14, 2003, 11:59 PM

I know, I know. I'll definately be going through withdrawal!! That's for sure! I posted this on the Lounge, but my reason for not wanting to bring my pb is because I don't want to deal with airport security. I have no qualms with airport security, but I'm afraid someone might run away with my pb while I'm showing the aiport screeners that my ipod is an ipod...and so on.

I am still considering bringing my pb with me. Why? Not really sure. I won't have any use for it, but I'm sure I'll find something to use it for.

Thanks for the input.

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by cal4ever:
I posted this on the Lounge, but my reason for not wanting to bring my pb is because I don't want to deal with airport security. I have no qualms with airport security, but I'm afraid someone might run away with my pb while I'm showing the aiport screeners that my ipod is an ipod...and so on.
You shouldn't have problems through security. If you get stopped, just be sure to let security know that you also have a laptop -- and get them to make sure it doesn't sprout legs while you are kindly following their procedures. I've travelled (a lot) with PowerBook, digital camera, etc. Not a problem -- you just need to stay alert.

Good luck -- glad to see you are coming to your senses.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2003, 01:12 AM

Airport security has come a long way, a very long way. I agree, just tell them what you have and you'll be OK, they don't let the laptop just sit at the end of the conveyor these days. The most they will do is make you boot it up for them to make sure it actually is a laptop and not something else.

If you have any doubts about this you can try calling the airport and asking them as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules