Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New eMac: Remarkable Price Drop in the UK

New eMac: Remarkable Price Drop in the UK
mikerally
Senior User
Apr 14, 2004, 06:26 PM

I'm sure you all know that Apple made a fairly major (and somewhat overdue) upgrade to the eMac line on Tuesday.

After finding out what was new, I kept my eye on the UK Apple Store for the new prices (since I live in the UK and all ;-) ).

But for some reason, Apple took a fairly long time in deciding the UK prices, which is somewhat unsual, with the new prices being put up on the Wednesday night (more than 24hrs after the U.S.).

Well now I've seen the new prices, I can see why Apple UK have spent a while deliberating over them:

Combo eMac:
Old Price: �649
New Price: �549

Superdrive eMac
Old Price: �849
New Price: �699

For those of you who American, this price jump is comparable to cutting the price of the American eMac by $200-250!!!

If you're a Student in the UK, you can pick up a Combo Drive eMac for, wait for it, �515!

That's a pinch over �500.

Apple are pretty much going to enter a new market in the UK, as I know a lot of people who have wanted to buy a Mac in this price range.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 01:47 AM

It is amazing... I can't think of there ever being a more affordable mac in the UK.

All they need to do now is ditch the CRT and sell it for �350 and it could be a real bargain!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 08:08 AM

yeah, its an amazing price for a computer thats faster than an iMac and burns DVDs faster than a G5
we don't have time to stop for gas

djohnson
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 09:01 AM

So what is that is US$?

neely
Apr 15, 2004, 11:26 AM

Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered a combo drive model from the Apple store. Expected to ship on or before the 20th of this month. Tried adding another 256mb of RAM to the order but the build time went up from 1-3 days to 2-3 weeks when I did that, so I'll upgrade the RAM myself.

Wheee! Can't wait now.

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2004, 04:41 PM

I have an emac now (1Ghz) and i plan to purchase a laptop in September, now my attitude is G5 or bust, i had the 15" 1.25Ghz PB and it was crap, this emac is far better. If there isn't a G5 laptop in September i'm buying one of these new eMacs, they are wonderful, i would keep this one but i promised I would sell it on in September.

I'm not paying over �1000 for a G4 again, iBooks don't count because i'd be getting less speed in a laptop than last year!
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2004, 05:10 AM

Wonder is the eMac's monitor is changed or not?
I remember that some people complain about the crapy monitor quality of eMac's.
Hope the new eMac has a better CRT...

Forum Links
Forum Rules