Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Monitor with builtin webcam and mic?

Monitor with builtin webcam and mic?
opus_az
Nov 19, 2008, 07:39 PM

Hi...

I'm looking for a monitor with a builtin webcam and microphone that is known to work on an Intel Mac Pro with 10.5.5. Something besides the new Apple Cinema displays.

Any suggestions?

PS: I was told by pre-sales at ViewSonic that their VX2255WMB would work, but after I bought it and found out the microphone doesn't work and the webcam has some issues, they're now saying that, well, of course it doesn't work on any Macs since there's no drivers, dontcha know. Grrr....

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2008, 11:21 PM

Check out dell. They have what you are looking for and if you want to confirm compatibility you can do so with a sales rep quickly over the phone.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

opus_az  (op)
Nov 20, 2008, 02:29 PM

Thanks. Will do.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2008, 03:14 PM

The easiest way to get OS X compatibility is to find one that supports UVC (USB Video Class)... unfortunately I haven't seen any displays with UVC webcams.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2008, 02:23 AM

BTW... mind if I ask why the camera needs to be built into the monitor?
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2008, 11:14 AM

Ask Apple. They saw it necessary to build a camera in their new LCD monitors.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2008, 06:27 PM

And plus, having a webcam in your monitor is just plan cool, right?
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Ask Apple. They saw it necessary to build a camera in their new LCD monitors.
...in order to help convince seniors to buy their products.

In case like this, where compatibility is an issue, it may just be easier (and cheaper) to get the screen and webcam separately. Not to mention, he would have more options to pick better products.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2008, 10:19 AM

Also, macam is a freeware app that may be able to solve any compatibility issues with whichever screen he ends up getting. I'm sure the OP has figured out his issue in the past 2 weeks, but forgot to mention that a while back and hopefully it could help someone with a similar question.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 6, 2008, 12:34 PM

FWIW, the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 (sold for Windows) and its Mac-labeled clone, the QuickCam Vision Pro, are excellent and don't require drivers on Mac OS X 10.4.11 or Leopard.

danangdoc
Dec 10, 2008, 12:30 PM

I recently got the Logitech clip-on camera/mic and mounted it on the top of my Apple 20" monitor, for $129 plus tax.

Consider that there are advantages to an 'add-on' device like this. It can be hand-held, and pointed anywhere in the room, focused on other family members, etc. That's kind of hard to do when it's in a big monitor. I plugged it in to my Mac Mini (USB connection) and iChat found it right away. Had my video chat going like 30 seconds later. Just amazing.

opus_az  (op)
Dec 29, 2008, 12:04 PM

My apologies for abandoning this thread. Not much at all has happened since my last post. I contacted Dell but they were suspiciously non-committal about compatibility with their monitors with built-in cam and mic and Leopard. And, the pressure to buy one has lessened a bit.

But, the pressure's back on. This is for offices and I've been asked to try to get built-in cam/mic for office aesthetics.

I'll give Dell another ring, and call Apple, too. If I find anything I'll post back.

Thanks for all the replies! Appreciate it!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 30, 2008, 05:56 PM

If the camera in the Dell is compatible with Vista, it should be compatible with Mac OS X 10.4.11 and 10.5.x.

Forum Links
Forum Rules