Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Handbrake

Handbrake
danangdoc
Feb 3, 2009, 04:03 PM

I recently tried to copy my original copy of The Dark Knight to my itunes library, but the process only ran just so far and got an error. I then downloaded the newest version of handbrake and got the same results. I posted the last 10 lines of the error message to Handbrake, and they dis-allowed my post because I hadn't provided them with various and sundry dumps of various files from my Mac, which I feel is B.S. I'm running the latest OS, and run a C2D mini with 4 gigs of ram, and a nearly empty 320-gig HD. I feel that they should resolve the issue - and that it can't be just my mini that is the problem. I can't really complain, as it was free I guess. i've heard from some friends that the new version has problems, so will leave it alone. is there another viable program out there that can do the job? I bought the DVD, and it even came with a free download coupon! I want to put some movies on my iPod touch so I can play them on my boat, as I will be out for a few months at a time (connected to a flat-screen). Thanks for any recommendations, and/or your experience with handbrake.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by danangdoc View Post
I posted the last 10 lines of the error message to Handbrake, and they dis-allowed my post because I hadn't provided them with various and sundry dumps of various files from my Mac, which I feel is B.S.
This confuses me. You asked them for help but refused to give them the information they need to figure out what's going on?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2009, 05:51 PM

If that's one of the movies that comes with an iPod compatible copy or iTunes download, then you can just use that and skip Handbrake entirely.

If you want help from the Handbrake team, all you need to do is post the complete activity log for that disk. If you refuse to give them a complete description (the activity log), they're not going to waste their time trying to tease information out of you.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2009, 06:15 PM

Handbrake's ripper (actually the free de-encryption method it shares with VLC) sometimes can't handle newer DVDs because of new copy-protection mechanisms.

The free download coupon sounds like the best bet.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

danangdoc  (op)
Feb 3, 2009, 06:29 PM

I think the question has been answered - they can't get around the new copy protection. Again, I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem, and like I said, "I can't really complain, because it was free". I'm really not taking them to task. So, is there any alternative program for ripping a copy to my iTunes library? I went to the "How to get your digital copy" yadda yadda...enter the authorization code below...yadda yadda . but found one must become a 'subscriber', and of course there is a 'nominal fee' for the 'digital copy'. I don't see any advantage to that as I bought the original DVD. Seems like a few months ago someone had listed another application that would do what Handbrake claims to do though.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2009, 06:37 PM

Not really. But there are applications that can help. MacTheRipper can rip the DVD to your desktop and try its best at removing copy protection. Its still in DVD format though. If MTR doesn't get rid of the protection then I believe there are alternatives, but either way you'll need HandBrake to convert it for iTunes viewing pleasure.

Then again, I could be wrong.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2009, 07:08 PM

If you have access to a Windows box, AnyDVD (trialware) + DVD Decrypter is the most capable ripping combination I've seen. Then feed the ripped file into Handbrake.

Forum Links
Forum Rules