Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hobbies?????????

Hobbies?????????
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2016, 12:33 PM

Other than typing stuff on Macnn, do you have hobbies and such you enjoy?

For me, I'm a frustrated 2nd Unit Cinematographer.
So I have, unfortunately, many hobbies.
They are:
Science fiction modeling*
Studio scale modeling*
Racing RC sailboats (1 metre class)
Vintage Audio*
Model railroading
railroad history
Studying 1930's air racing planes
Sleight of hand magic
cooking
and of late...maybe not a 'hobby' per se, but getting rid or rodent vermin.

* main hobbies

I'm sure with the quality of folks here, SOME OF YOU have really cool hobbies.
I think it helps to round out and improve the person to have hobbies.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2016, 01:06 PM

Taking video and photos.
Fishing and camping. (haven't been awhile due to work schedules)
Untitled by Michael Chavez, on Flickr
The Mrs' first catch, nice walleye.
Shore lunch. You don't catch, PB&J for you!
My father in law
Myself, the Mrs and my father in law
The lodge assistant manager Jodie
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2016, 01:16 PM

My big hobby is reading Role-Playing game books.

For a long time now, I've been working my way through Rifts, which to my detriment, I was far too snobby a player to pay attention to it back when I actually played them.

I was the same way about second edition D&D, so I missed out on hot shit like Planescape until it was already ancient history.

In a bid to start playing again, I know someone who's in love with the TV show Supernatural, so that's my current read. I'm doing one of my favorite things, which is to start reading an RPG with the bestiary instead of the rules, and try to reverse engineer the whole deal.

I've also considered dropping by the friendly neighborhood game store and play some D&D again. The thing is, what I want is an "old school" game played the way it was designed to be played, which is less about storytelling and more a logistics simulation.

If anyone is familiar with the original "Tomb of Horrors", that's a perfect example. You're not supposed to send a party, even a very strong one, into that situation willy-nilly. You're supposed to bring a team of a hundred people (you know... all those rules for hirelings no one ever uses), and be practical. What are those hirelings for? Other than maintaining a base camp the party can safely return to at a moment's notice, they were needed to herd the entire flock of sheep we brought...

What? You don't think we're going in there first. You drive the sheep into the dungeon and let them fall in the pit traps and trigger all the pressure plates.

That's what old school is about. Being more clever than the DM.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2016, 08:09 PM

I used to paint the figures for others in the AD&D days. I think I still have all the dragons I painted. I had, at one time about 15-20 lead casting dragons. I had a really high numbered 1/2 elf thief named Droseria, after the carnivorous plant. I altered his alignment by killing off a fellow players paladin.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2016, 10:59 PM

My primary hobbies are procrastinating, fantasizing, and blankly staring.

But I also have many nerdy collections.

And I make nerdy things. Other people collect the nerdy things I make. It's the Circle of Nerd.

Photography and Photoshoppery. Not so much lately. Should get back to that.

Art. For art's sake.

I hit tennis balls around a park for a border collie. Almost professionally.

Cooking. Gardening (This Week: Lawn Improvement!). Seemingly endless home repairs. Roller skating once a week.

Lately I've been slightly obsessed with my new headphones.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2016, 11:02 PM

Have you seen a "Chuckit"?

It's basically a spear-thrower/atl-atl type thing for tennis balls.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2016, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Have you seen a "Chuckit"?

It's basically a spear-thrower/atl-atl type thing for tennis balls.
Doesn't get the distance that a tennis racquet does. My dog needs to run, a lot, every day.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2016, 12:13 AM

True, but the extended grabby action is nice.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2016, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
I used to paint the figures for others in the AD&D days. I think I still have all the dragons I painted. I had, at one time about 15-20 lead casting dragons. I had a really high numbered 1/2 elf thief named Droseria, after the carnivorous plant. I altered his alignment by killing off a fellow players paladin.
Paladins usually deserve it.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2016, 12:05 PM

Cooking and Barbecuing for me. Hands down.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2016, 01:22 PM

I miss barbecueing. I love my place, but there's no yard or deck.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2016, 02:22 PM

Something tells me OAW does dynamite BBQ. He WAS spot on on the greens. I do a pulled pork/minced pork thing I've worked on for about 20 years now.

My favorite hobby these days is my vintage audio. Nothing built after 1983. Vinyl is my friend. I listen to JBL 4312's and KEF 104aB's powered by a rebuilt this spring Crown PSA-2, which puts out 315 RMS/channel. I have Stanton 681ee and Grace F9e phono carts on a SME 3009 II improved with type 3 fluid damper on a rare Scottish built FONS CQ-30. The interest has been in precise speaker positioning. The JBL's need to be no more than 6" off the floor for the bass to couple into the room, but the KEF's need to be no less than 16" off the floor. Image is super with the KEF's.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2016, 08:43 PM

I thought Americans called barbecuing 'grilling'. Is barbecuing something else or are those terms interchangeable?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I thought Americans called barbecuing 'grilling'. Is barbecuing something else or are those terms interchangeable?
Barbecue is "low and slow" usually in a smoker and charcoal . Grilling is over high heat and for the most part using propane.
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2016, 10:13 PM

It depends. There are some "purists" who consider "barbecue" to be only cooking meat over indirect heat at a low temperature for long periods of time. Often with charcoal and/or wood to obtain a smoky flavor. "Grilling" is cooking meat over direct heat at a high temperature. Either on a gas or charcoal grill. Now personally I use the term "barbecue" as a catch-all term for both techniques. If I'm being specific I'll say I'm "smoking a brisket" or "grilling a steak" for instance.

OAW

OreoCookie
Nov 27, 2016, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
It depends. There are some "purists" who consider "barbecue" to be only cooking meat over indirect heat at a low temperature for long periods of time. Often with charcoal and/or wood to obtain a smoky flavor. "Grilling" is cooking meat over direct heat at a high temperature.
Thanks for the English lesson, that makes sense. I never noticed it, perhaps also because most Americans I've BBQed with used a huge gas BBQ/grill (if you close the hood, it also uses indirect heat …).
Either on a gas or charcoal grill.
The (German) purist in me would say that if you use gas, you're not grilling!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2016, 11:26 PM

Gas vs. charcoal is a different purism argument. It theoretically changes the flavor, but under no circumstances I've encountered has it altered the nomenclature.

What makes grilling grilling is the proximity of heat, and that the cooking surface is a grill.

People use grills as a cooking surface for BBQ, but it isn't strictly necessary like it is with grilling. In ye olden days, they would BBQ by chucking a whole pig directly on the coals.

OreoCookie
Nov 27, 2016, 11:58 PM

Gas vs. charcoal is a different purism argument. It theoretically changes the flavor, but under no circumstances I've encountered has it altered the nomenclature.
Semantically, you are correct, but to me grilling with gas (or electric) is heretical. I'm doing it at home, because in Japan every stove has a small gas or electric grill to prepare grilled fish or so. But it's not the same. As you mention, the flavor profiles are different (gas has no soul as it imparts no flavor ), and you can't stand next to a dying coal fire to warm yourself in the evening.
People use grills as a cooking surface for BBQ, but it isn't strictly necessary like it is with grilling. In ye olden days, they would BBQ by chucking a whole pig directly on the coals.
Yeah, you can cook marinades (to kill the bacteria, a lesson I learnt the really hard way once … ) or do other things.

PS You guys are bastards, now I really want to head out and grill some meat. But our temperatures are in the single digits!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2016, 07:55 AM

Gas or charcoal both count as barbecues in British parlance too. Gas is kinda cheating of course, it seems like we are in agreement on all these points after all.
The difference then is that here, grilling is what I believe you call broiling. Food cooked on a metal grill with a high gas or electric heat from above.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Nov 28, 2016, 08:10 AM

Gas or charcoal both count as barbecues in British parlance too. Gas is kinda cheating of course, it seems like we are in agreement on all these points after all.
Agreed
The difference then is that here, grilling is what I believe you call broiling. Food cooked on a metal grill with a high gas or electric heat from above.
True, even though it does use grate, the temperature of the heat source just isn't the same (I had the same problem with my Weber electric “BBQ”, because the wattage was limited by what a single appliance can pull from the socket). To bring yet another language into this, but in Japanese (and in typical Japanese fashion) the verbs for to grill, to broil, to bake, to roast and to fry are one and the same (yaku/焼く). So perhaps a “Japanese grill” would be adequate They also have “grills” with a flat iron surface, what a crazy country this is!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 28, 2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The (German) purist in me would say that if you use gas, you're not grilling!
If a German is using gas, it's probably genocide.

OreoCookie
Nov 28, 2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
If a German is using gas, it's probably genocide.
Good one

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2016, 03:08 PM

I've determined the world is ready for its first schnitzelcue.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2016, 10:55 PM

And I admit I'm a bit of a "purist" when it comes to that. If you are preparing food on a gas grill you aren't having "barbecue". You are having a "cook-out"! Otherwise known as the same thing you can do on the stove in your house except you are doing it outside.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2016, 11:27 PM

Paging Shortcut...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2016, 08:13 PM

Cooking and Barbecuing for me. Hands down.

OAW
A great cook is always appreciated — barbecue experts perhaps even more so.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2016, 11:10 PM

Hahaha
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2016, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Fishing
Wait, are you from Canada?? Or just visiting?

mindwaves
Nov 29, 2016, 11:18 PM

For me, if meat is being cooked over an open flame directly, regardless of gas or charcoal/wood, etc, it is BBQ.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2016, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Wait, are you from Canada?? Or just visiting?
Just there to fish Walleye, Northern Pike, Bass, and catch and release Muskie.
45/47

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2016, 03:58 AM

I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2016, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I collect spores, molds, and fungus.
I had a fridge like that too, once.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2016, 06:03 AM

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2016, 07:34 AM

So nobody does any technical hobbies?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2016, 10:11 AM

I used to build lasers from scavenged parts, but soon realized that it was a dangerous and stupid thing. I mean the best result I achieved was a handheld ballon popper/paper burner. I wanted a little laser cheese slicer, so nothing Star Wars-ish or even close. Very disappointing.

I too collect spores, molds, and fungus. But not voluntarily. lol
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 30, 2016, 10:17 AM

Is this technical?

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2016, 10:20 AM

WOW! Was the MegaSquirt used on the bike or car....or both? I had room mate back in the mid 1980's who rebuilt an '83 Rabbit GTI with turbo, intercooler, new turbo computer, new suspension, racing clutch and exhaust. He saved 2 years of my rent money and then spent about 5 days putting it together. He had one little problem...rims spun inside the tires. He did all that to beat some guy with a 944 turbo.....street racing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2016, 10:23 AM

Car. Wanted to MegaSquirt a motorcycle but could never justify the cost - it was going to be ~$900 all in on throttle bodies, fuel pump, ECU, and accessories. Few of my bikes have even been worth that much.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2016, 10:33 AM

Is this technical?

Mad technical skills.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2016, 10:54 AM

I would have thought a few might be into audio, or RC stuff, or even collectors of obscure items. I used to practice sleight of hand magic, and did the RC airplane thing, building a 1/4 scale Monocoupe 90a with a 38cc chain saw engine swinging an 18" prop. Weighed 18 lbs. I have a copy of the 4 foot Jupiter 2 SPFX hull to complete (landing gear and such), but I'm not hard core.......much.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2016, 11:03 AM

Up until recently I had a large collection of vintage computers going back to the late 70s.
TTY machines, VIC-20, C-64, PETs, Amigas, Mac Classic, LCII, Quadras, 7200, 8500, 9500.... but all gone now.

Also antique cameras are a hobby, I have an original boxed set of Brownies, a Minolta spy camera from the 60s (uses 16mm strips), older Kodaks from the 1920s or so, a few even older box cameras, and a early 70s Polaroid SX-70 with leather embossing and case.

Also, old phones, (looking for a candlestick), and just about everything else one would collect like old money, porn, etc....

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2016, 11:10 AM

POOP! My dad just threw out an old old candlestick phone. He used to work for Bell Telephone from the 1950's through 1981, when he retired. He still has several test sets of various eras and great tools. He also still has the safety belt you wore when climbing poles.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2016, 11:52 AM

POOP! My dad just threw out an old old candlestick phone. He used to work for Bell Telephone from the 1950's through 1981, when he retired. He still has several test sets of various eras and great tools. He also still has the safety belt you wore when climbing poles.
Awe, man, that's a shame about the candlestick... That's cool about your dad though, I can imagine the test equipment he had. It was a technical and physical job, not easy work. cheers.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2016, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I used to build lasers from scavenged parts, but soon realized that it was a dangerous and stupid thing.
This needs to be elaborated on. Scavenged parts? For a laser?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2016, 02:51 PM

Strobe lights as initial light source?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2016, 03:10 PM

Is this technical?
I now find you intimidating.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2016, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
This needs to be elaborated on. Scavenged parts? For a laser?
This was years ago, but I think it's still possible: Blu-ray players have excellent laser diodes that can be used but you can buy them new for around $50. However, you need to control voltage and need a proper driver circuit, as well as a good lens to make it all work. Instructables as a few videos and parts lists on Blu-Ray based lasers in the 1-2W 445nm range How to make a Burning 1-2W 445nm Blue Laser

On EBay you can find kits with everything you need for a somewhat safer red laser in the 650nm range putting out 300mW of power. 300mW+ 650nm Red High Power burn Laser Diode Module,DIY Kit with Heat Sink | eBay

But all this is dangerous, you need special protective glasses - one stray beam and you can be blinded instantly. Another good reason to not do it.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2016, 03:52 PM

I used to do Pro audio set-up for large (15K folks)rooms (Generally Capital Center outside DC) and with 30 or so 1200 watt poweramps and stacks of JBL cabinets you could almost destroy your ears if they were using pulse sounds to calibrate the stacks to the room. We used in ear and outside ear protection, kinda like those protective glasses. Glad I don't do that anymore. Who cares I don't get to meet the bands.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2016, 04:38 PM

I used to do Pro audio set-up for large (15K folks)rooms (Generally Capital Center outside DC) and with 30 or so 1200 watt poweramps and stacks of JBL cabinets you could almost destroy your ears if they were using pulse sounds to calibrate the stacks to the room. We used in ear and outside ear protection, kinda like those protective glasses. Glad I don't do that anymore. Who cares I don't get to meet the bands.
I guess it would have been fun back in the day at a Who concert with lasers and ridiculous amounts of amplification to setup and test.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2016, 09:12 PM

I love to barbecue, snowboard, and mountain bike.

I love audio equipment but I recently couldn't justify so much expensive equipment kicking around in a small house with a little one poking here and there, so I took the plunge and cold turkey sold eight years of collecting and many thousands of dollars worth of equipment. Well I kept my Bogen Presto B61 heavy platter, idler wheel turntable in storage, as it is one of my favourite pieces ever - hopefully I'll figure out what to do with it one day down the road.

I think barbecue in the vernacular means open fire. In the lower states it means low and slow, and I think that is the best definition; I grille a steak, but I barbecue a beef brisket or a pork shoulder. Both can be done on a gas or a charcoal grille by the way, and I don't think one of those tastes any better than the other - just slightly different. I prefer a big Weber gas grille, because I can burn wood when I want to but don't need to fart around with charcoal when it's anything but a lazy weekend.....which I never have any more, ain't no toddler parent got time for that - if I have free time I go bike in the woods. So I sold my ceramic circular grille which had been getting used once a month at best, and have only looked back once or twice when a particularly good cut of meat has called out for a mean barbecue.

Mostly I bike now. These new carbon fibre mountain bikes are insane - you can climb the side of a mountain and rip right back down with confidence. Expensive as hell but so much fun.

Forum Links
Forum Rules