Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hobbies?????????

Hobbies????????? (Page 2)
mindwaves
Nov 30, 2016, 09:49 PM

I'm too lazy to have any serious hobbies, but I like traveling, hiking, cycling, watching youtube, gardening, cooking, and enjoying a cup of tea.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2016, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I guess it would have been fun back in the day at a Who concert with lasers and ridiculous amounts of amplification to setup and test.
Pink Floyd set-up was fun as they had a 15" /sec reel to reel of DSOTM so we used the heartbeat to play around with. They used a 5 channel system with 4 side stacks and then a main stack behind. VERY LOUD. Fleetwood Mac sounded the best. I also got to be main sound man for a Leon Redbone show, and got to talk to him about his take on the music. Wonderful voice. The ONE thing I always wanted to do was record the percussion bombs they shoot off before the main fireworks. Could never get close enough with clean AC power.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2016, 12:10 PM

How would you have set the levels without a sound check? Guess?

I've had small-scale issues with this trying to record screams. People understandably want to save their voice for the real deal, and won't give me full volume during tests.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2016, 03:30 PM

We started with getting the delays right, and the basic EQ for the room. We used pink noise and blats of 40hZ to get it close. You can't really do it until its about 2/3 full. The talent setup is done when the stacks are up n running. Stand in drummer does kit set-up, usually 6-8 mic's into mixer, out as 2 channels into main board. Same for horn sections and background vocalist. Talent may requesy specific mic models or have their own. Magic Dick uses his own Shure bullets.

For recording a scream, you may need to audition screamers to find one who does know how to scream at 3/4 power but it SOUNDS like its louder. You may want to record screams a few days before, so they can recover. Mic choice is important, asa well as acoustics of where you are recording. I've even dropped mic's into a sewer pipe for that special sound......

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2016, 04:05 PM

Interesting...

Unfortunately with the screams, it's always been a situation where specific talent needed to scream rather than someone picked for their screaming skill.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2016, 08:38 PM

Evil Dead, 1981 had Ellen Sandweiss screaming, and she was picked BECAUSE of how she screamed. I suggest a LOT more introspective thinking for those parts. You know, a higher bar. In wish I could be around your group to give you a better recommendation on how/what to do. i'd start with Mic changes first. They can give you what you need, without ragging out the vocals of your folks. Shure SM57/58s are a good start. For me, I'd be using a Crown PZM at about 2 feet from the vocalist. ON axis.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2016, 01:30 AM

For live shows we use 57/58s. Would you have the PZM on a surface, or just flying free?

Luckily, no screaming during live shows. The last time I did it was in the studio, and used the LDC we used for everything else so it would match.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2016, 07:54 AM

flying free. I usually hang them on a hook or something from the mic cable with a half knot.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2016, 01:27 PM

Maybe I'm imagining this wrong, but doesn't it block the view of the money vocalists?

I'm floating the idea of putting vocals on 55SHs just because they look so cool... whether we like the sound hasn't even entered into the equation yet. After everyone is happy it doesn't block their faces too much, or screw with our underlighting, we'll actually bother plugging one in and having a listen.

(For those playing the home edition, a 55SH...)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2016, 07:29 PM

We found two old ones in deep storage at our church. Now one of them is our talkback mic in our new student center.

They do indeed look awesome.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2016, 08:06 PM

I have one that I use to drum up support for assimilation.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2016, 11:57 PM

Great work! Great pic!

I think you may have already told me once, but how did you get the finish again?

Some day I hope to kick it back a few more decades of "old timey" looking...

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2016, 07:59 AM

If you can find just the case, you can put a good condenser capsule in it, or go further and set it up so you can swap out Omni for Cardio pick-up patterns.

I remember when Johnny Carson was using the ribbon desk mike I really wanted one, and rented one to play with for a weekend. Found out they were kinda touchy, and had to pay for a replacement ribbon ($420.00) so the appeal went away.

My Crown PZM's have "blow-out proof" capsules in them, but I still take extra care with them. The advantage of PZM's is they don't have phase issues like dynamic mics. I either hang them off their cables or I have some sponge blocks I slide them into for use on a surface. They do great thunder storms and in 2004 I used them to record the 17 year cicadas. Also recorded an old civil war era cannon, and several steam locomotives. Still wanna record those percussion bombs though.

In 2013 I woke up at 3AM to the sound of an owl hooting in the back yard. Next evening I set up the mikes n such, and NOTHING!. Next night they were calling for slight chance of thunder storms so I didn't set it up. No storms but the owl was back. Played the game for about a week, and the owl never came around. So much for my live recordings. I have thought about recording the snow falling through the trees but I don't need condensation on the mics after I bring them back inside.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2016, 02:28 PM

The King, Queen, and Jack of bad weather "resistant" condensers are the Sennheiser MKHs. I'd still want to warm it up as slow as possible, let it hang out in the garage for awhile or something, but its whole raison d'etre is catching sound like falling snow and not dying in the process.

Ribbons are definitely touchy. I haven't had a lot of success. The one pictured is actually from a company that more digs the look than the original design, and does exactly what you say. They stuff a cardioid LDC in there.

I feel the cicadas are where they got the sound for phasers in the original Star Trek.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2016, 09:24 AM

Great stuff Lam - so you ended up with that BMW after all? Is that the current state or have you already done your work?

I'd love to be more technical about a few more things but unfortunately I only really got interested after I was already too busy to spend the time studying. My turntable is a classic for insane mods - people spend thousands on these 50+ year old turntables and they end up sounding comparable to almost anything out there today. (This guy has made a business out of turning them into expensive corian killer decks! ). Unfortunately it takes some solid knowledge to do it, but that's going to be my next technical project over the next few years.

I just like building things - the satisfaction of seeing a completed object I built with my hands gives me immense joy. I probably could have chosen a different career path - I love what I do but office work still doesn't give me that physical rush of satisfaction, haha.

I built this last fall - there's a 10-foot high retaining wall in one area of the property as we're at the bottom of a hill - so I stuck a two-sided shed in the corner. (The back walls are the retaining wall ties.) It started out as a simple need for some storage, ended up as the Taj Mahal of 48-sq foot sheds. I still need to put a finish coat of sealant on the larger sliding door, which is only stained right now - the wood was just rough-cut thick pine so I left it bleed and dry this summer and when I finally got around to starting on them, it turned too cold just after I did the finish coat on the small door.

I built some shelves and stuck a couple 4x8 sheets of pegboard on the inside, which has been pretty great for organizing small tools. I need to read more about pegboard hooks though - the stuff I got at Home Depot seems prone to falling out if you're not really careful when you remove/hang stuff, which is annoying. I also built it pretty tall with hooks and stretch cables on the ceiling, so it's been a great way to get stuff out of the way.

( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; Dec 4, 2016 at 10:06 AM. )
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2016, 10:14 AM

I finally upgraded my home stereo to a pair of active Linn Keilidh, triple Linn LK85 power amps, and a Linn Wakonda pre-amp last year.

This was the system I've wanted for twenty years, but of course it was completely unaffordable to me back then. The price I paid was a joke compared to the upscale Mercedes the asking price would have bought back then. I'm rather amazed how used prices have dwindled on this stuff, seeing as it is hasn't deteriorated at all since then. Okay, pure analog, no HDMI or optical or whatever. Pfft.

Running a Linn Sondek LP12 and an Airport Express into the system.

On the other side, it's difficult to delineate between "hobby" and "profession". I make a living playing and teaching keyboards, as well as studio work. My infatuation with vintage synths turned into a passion over the past two decades, and since that side of the business hasn't actually turned a profit over the rather large gear investments, I guess you could call vintage synths and effects a "hobby" at this point.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2016, 12:14 PM

As a tonearem and cart addict, what are you all using for those? I used to be the "Turntable Technician" at Needle in a Haystack in VA, and later, Myer-EMCO in Rockville MD.

I use a SME 3009 type 2 improved are with a type 3 fluid damper. Carts I have used in this are Stanton 681ee, 681eee, MicroAcoutics 2002e, Denon 301, and Grace F9e super. I scored some NOS 681eee stylus last spring, and since I pretty well wore out the Grace, I'm using Sound Smith OCL ruby replacement. Gonna get another one with some of next years tax return. I've been using DB Systems Preamps since 1978. Last fall I had both of mine rebuilt by the guy who designed them and still makes them today. Same for a DB6 poweramp (40 WPC). His stuff is very quiet and clean. Last spring I also had a Crown PSA2 rebuilt and the power supply upgraded to a Showco mod for more power, and the tech who has repaired and upgraded hundreds did a super job on mine. It now puts out 315 RMS/channel and has very low distortion. I recapped my 2 pairs of KEF 104aB's with the Falcon Acoustics kits, and they sound wonderful as stacked pairs. I also have a pair of vintage JBL 4311b's and a pair of JBL 4312's, which I use as my computer speakers powered with a Crown D75a. I still listen to vinyl, since I have about 6000 LP's and about 1200 45's. I retired my FM tuner and Cassette decks.
Good thing I'm not hard core.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2016, 02:40 PM

I was actually using the standard Lenco L70 tonearm (the Bogen-Presto is just a re-badged Lenco for NA), with a Denon DL 103r cart. I figured if/when I ever get around to doing some big mods I'd look into tonearms, but until then I was content with just adding a heavy plinth for more mass.

I last ran it into a Modwright LS100 tube pre-amp, which I can't say enough about - just a beautiful piece of equipment. Again, those days are over for the time being though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 5, 2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Great stuff Lam - so you ended up with that BMW after all? Is that the current state or have you already done your work?
The last pic is current state. I had the old engine out and new one in within two weeks. A couple months later it was driving, and I've been racing it for about a year and a half now. Zero problems with the engine - the only things that have broken so far are the GM ignition coils and BMW suspension parts.

I pulled it into the garage last night to fix the bolt that broke the last time I took it out offroad racing.

And I've also been working on a new project for the past few months, just drove it for the first time yesterday. The drive involved pulling it out of the middle stall and backing it into the third stall for the winter.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2016, 07:34 PM

I can't imaging off road racing in a BMW. An old friend had a heavily modified 1983 rabbit GTI and he used to do illegal street racing. He lost $500 to a guy in a 944 Turbo (1984 era) and so he used 2 years of my rent to buy stuff to tweak his GTI. So in May of 1985, he ran into the same guy and asked for a rematch. This time it was for $1500!!! So we show up and my buddy beat the crap out of him. Two of us in the GTI, and him all alone. We beat him by 4-5 seconds. This was a 'course' that started at a 2 lane main road at a stop light, went up a hill, flattened out for 2 miles and the first to cross over the "School" sign painted on the road won. its a shame he never got his '69 Camaro SS with 427 back on the road, but his wife............well you know the story.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2016, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
This was a 'course' that started at a 2 lane main road at a stop light, went up a hill, flattened out for 2 miles and the first to cross over the "School" sign painted on the road won. its a shame he never got his '69 Camaro SS with 427 back on the road, but his wife............well you know the story.
Let me guess, his wife didn't want him killing a school kid?

Always a drag, the wives.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2016, 05:59 AM

He was usually racing at night, after 8PM or so, along with high school kids. He was kind of a kid himself.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2016, 08:13 AM

I used to drive way faster than I should.

When I stopped, it was like I had tripped Max Payne bullet time.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2016, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
I can't imaging off road racing in a BMW. An old friend had a heavily modified 1983 rabbit GTI and he used to do illegal street racing. He lost $500 to a guy in a 944 Turbo (1984 era) and so he used 2 years of my rent to buy stuff to tweak his GTI. So in May of 1985, he ran into the same guy and asked for a rematch. This time it was for $1500!!! So we show up and my buddy beat the crap out of him. Two of us in the GTI, and him all alone. We beat him by 4-5 seconds. This was a 'course' that started at a 2 lane main road at a stop light, went up a hill, flattened out for 2 miles and the first to cross over the "School" sign painted on the road won. its a shame he never got his '69 Camaro SS with 427 back on the road, but his wife............well you know the story.
You stole that story from a Fast and Furious movie...or an ABC After School Special

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

andi*pandi
Dec 7, 2016, 12:07 PM

nice shed!

d
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I need to read more about pegboard hooks though - the stuff I got at Home Depot seems prone to falling out if you're not really careful when you remove/hang stuff, which is annoying. I also built it pretty tall with hooks and stretch cables on the ceiling, so it's been a great way to get stuff out of the way.
I did the same thing, found the hooks to fall out, then I inspected someone elses pegboard... you need a plywood layer, then a thin spacer 1/4-1/2" thick around edges, then put the pegboard on top of that. Or, you can do like I did, and duct tape the hooks in place. (someday I'll fix it)

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2016, 12:38 PM

Use some silicon window caulk to hold them in the holes.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2016, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I used to drive way faster than I should.

When I stopped, it was like I had tripped Max Payne bullet time.
I still drive way too fast, but I have better cars to drive. The reality is I'd hate to end up in jail for doing 140 or something. 180 maybe, but not really. Speed is an addiction!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules