Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jobs that you DON'T want to have

Jobs that you DON'T want to have
mindwaves
Nov 29, 2017, 02:20 AM

I definitely do not want to be any sort of delivery driver such as UPS, FedEx, etc. Imagine you have a deadline like no other; the package has to be delivered on time and you are stuck in traffic. Also imagine that you have to deliver a heavy, bulky package to the front door, but the house has a fence blocking the way that is locked. Now imagine cold, wet rain pouring down on you and the package. That has to be one of the worse jobs (for me) to have. Doing that every single day has got to be painful, both mentally and physically.
( Last edited by mindwaves; Nov 29, 2017 at 03:20 AM. )

mindwaves  (op)
Nov 29, 2017, 02:36 AM

Another job is being a teacher in a low-income area. Students living in such areas do not really pay attention to classes, talk a lot, be rude or racist to the teacher, and don't do their homework. Multiply that by a 100 by the time that the students are in high school complete with everyone using their phones, being truant, etc. I used to be a substitute teacher at such schools, and I dread working in those schools. I ended up only subbing at better schools.

End result for such students is doing (and failing) adding and subtracting negative numbers still in 11th grade.
( Last edited by mindwaves; Nov 29, 2017 at 03:25 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2017, 02:57 AM

Forum moderator.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 29, 2017, 07:02 AM

About once a month, I get a cold call. It starts off with a guy representing the fraternal order of retired policemen or something like that.

The gist. Police get decent pay, along with amazing immunity from consequences. Benefits, medical, actual pensions in addition to social security. After they retire, they have a call center try everyone in the phone directory. Or just try every possible number. I'm not sure which. If someone picks up, the call worker begs for donations to supplement police retirements. Considering the income spectrum of the population today, most of the people they reach will have lesser income and much lower benefits than they enjoy.

Usually I hang up. But once they hit me at the wrong moment, and I ripped into the schmuck. Told him to have some pride, and stop begging for more. Mostly from people living more poorly than him. He protested that it wasn't him personally.

The minimum-wage worker, cold-calling everyone to beg for money. The guy I ripped into. I would hate to have his job.
( Last edited by reader50; Nov 29, 2017 at 07:14 AM. )

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2017, 05:55 PM

Abattoir worker. Tannery worker.

My first job as a kid was installing asbestos fencing (in Australia, in summer). Every day started with digging a 2ft deep trench around a house block (using a shovel - none of this mechanical wizardry), then placing the asbestos sheeting in the trench, drill through, bolt together, backfill trench. Protection? A bit of sunscreen.

But I'd rather do that than work in an abattoir. Close call though.

andi*pandi
Dec 4, 2017, 06:32 PM

Return Desk Sales Clerk.

Thorzdad
Dec 4, 2017, 09:18 PM

NICU nurse.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2017, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
NICU nurse.
That's an emotional rollercoaster of a job.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 5, 2017, 06:50 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:03 AM. )

andi*pandi
Dec 5, 2017, 07:29 PM

Leave Maine.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2017, 08:20 PM

I read that as Leave Marine.

Like Angry Marine or Disco Marine.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 6, 2017, 08:36 PM

[...deleted...]

andi*pandi
Dec 7, 2017, 11:34 AM

Oh, I thought you were in Bangor? Merely giving some job advice, based on experience.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 7, 2017, 03:01 PM

[...deleted...]

Ham Sandwich
Feb 4, 2018, 04:17 PM

[...deleted...]

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2018, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
NICU nurse.
My wife did that for about 15 years. The nursing part of the job was awesome, and they had few instances of babies that either didn't make it or had "bad outcomes."

The hard part of the job was how nursing is "managed" nowadays. By definition the mother of a premature infant is going to be hormonally unstable. Throw in that a lot of these women are either very young or "overly privileged" or both. Now have your nurses managed by a rule that says "customer satisfaction" is at least as important as the health, safety and survival of your preemies. It's a recipe for running off good nurses.

Jobs I would not want to have: occupational or physical therapist in a Texas school. In Texas, OT and PT in schools are "consultative" in nature. We can't provide actual therapy, only suggestions and adaptations for the teacher to allow the student to get the most out of the educational experience. Whether that means help with holding a pencil or help with posture or whatever...it means that we get to see what's wrong with the student, but we can't do anything to actually fix it. Sure, most of these kids already have OT and PT after school, but that's a level of frustration I do not want to play with.

A very long time ago I worked installing and repairing two-way radios (and "car phones") in cars, trucks, semis, etc. It was hot and exhausting work sometimes, but the worst part was when we had to rip out radios from old garbage trucks and then put them in new(er) garbage trucks. That was bad enough... I would not want to work in any part of the solid waste management sector, more because of the smell than anything else.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mindwaves  (op)
Feb 4, 2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
It's a problem both nationwide and internationally:

https://www.quora.com/What-does-it-f...unemployed-PhD
Sarcam aside, it is often better to have a MS than a PhD. By the time the PhD person graduates, the MS person probably makes more money already and initially has an easier time finding a job. PhD is merely for a title. The MD degree is worth far more (at least society-wise).

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 5, 2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My wife did that for about 15 years. The nursing part of the job was awesome, and they had few instances of babies that either didn't make it or had "bad outcomes."
Wife's sorority sister was a NICU nurse in St. Louis in a not-so-nice area. Lots of FAS, drugs, and worse.

The hard part of the job was how nursing is "managed" nowadays. By definition the mother of a premature infant is going to be hormonally unstable. Throw in that a lot of these women are either very young or "overly privileged" or both. Now have your nurses managed by a rule that says "customer satisfaction" is at least as important as the health, safety and survival of your preemies. It's a recipe for running off good nurses.
Both of our kids ended up in the NICU after birth, and in both cases we had wonderful experiences and great medical teams. I wonder how much we tend to romanticize "back in the day" for any number of careers - medical, education, industrial.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2018, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Both of our kids ended up in the NICU after birth, and in both cases we had wonderful experiences and great medical teams.
Our daughter caught the flu at two weeks old and ended up in intensive care. Those people should be paid more.

I worked in theatres at a children's hospital. That was sometimes harrowing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules