Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does 667 DVI have 'Reduce Processor Performance' Option?

Does 667 DVI have 'Reduce Processor Performance' Option?
mcaswell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2002, 01:13 AM

I got a 667 DVI today, replacing a DVD-ROM 667 (the version back when it was 550 vs. 667). To avoid reloading all my software, setting prefs, etc., I simply swapped hard drives between the old and new machines.

It booted up just fine... the transplant seemed completely successful.

However, I noticed that in the Energy Saver pref pane there is no option for 'Reduce Processor Performance', which I thought this model was capable of doing. Thinking it must be some side effect of using the old 667's install of 10.2, I reinstalled it (did the "archive" install, retaning user accounts and network settings). Still didn't appear (it's supposed to be in the Options tab, right?).

So, my last resort is to just wipe the drive clean and do a completely fresh install. However, before I go through all that trouble, I wanted to check and make sure I'm not going on a wild goose chase.

Question 1: Does the 667 DVI have this option (I'm running 10.2.1)?

Question 2: Do I have a different machine than I think I have? It's got a combo drive and a DVI port on the back... that is a 667 DVI, right?

--Mike

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2002, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by mcaswell:
I got a 667 DVI today, replacing a DVD-ROM 667 (the version back when it was 550 vs. 667). To avoid reloading all my software, setting prefs, etc., I simply swapped hard drives between the old and new machines.

It booted up just fine... the transplant seemed completely successful.

However, I noticed that in the Energy Saver pref pane there is no option for 'Reduce Processor Performance', which I thought this model was capable of doing. Thinking it must be some side effect of using the old 667's install of 10.2, I reinstalled it (did the "archive" install, retaning user accounts and network settings). Still didn't appear (it's supposed to be in the Options tab, right?).

So, my last resort is to just wipe the drive clean and do a completely fresh install. However, before I go through all that trouble, I wanted to check and make sure I'm not going on a wild goose chase.

Question 1: Does the 667 DVI have this option (I'm running 10.2.1)?

Question 2: Do I have a different machine than I think I have? It's got a combo drive and a DVI port on the back... that is a 667 DVI, right?

--Mike
My 667 DVI has the option...it's says I can either run my processor at "highest or reduced" settings.

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2002, 03:55 AM

667DVI has the highest and reduced setting.But this setting doesn't lower the MHz just uses cpu cycling.And also disables the 1MB cache if I remember correctly.The 800MHz powerbook drops to 667MHz with the energy saver settings.
If you have both machines I don't see why it's difficult to connect both of them with a firewire cable and transfer the data fast and easy.

mcaswell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2002, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by phobos:
667DVI has the highest and reduced setting.But this setting doesn't lower the MHz just uses cpu cycling.And also disables the 1MB cache if I remember correctly.The 800MHz powerbook drops to 667MHz with the energy saver settings.
If you have both machines I don't see why it's difficult to connect both of them with a firewire cable and transfer the data fast and easy.
Thanks for the info. Yes, in hindsight, I could have just transferred all my stuff over. But I thought it would be really neat to simply drop the drive into the new machine and have everything identical to how it was before. And, aside from this one little glitch, it seems to have worked fine!

--Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules