Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iMove 3 weighs a TON!!!!

iMove 3 weighs a TON!!!!
Lyra
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2003, 09:53 AM

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I liked the old one much better. Even the interface isn't anything to write home about.

Ok, so my problem is this, it take much longer to open a project then in version 2.1.1.
Also it feels like it uses all my processor power and everything else just to do the smallest operation. Not to mention the sound is off when it can't figure out where to start...

It is no way near as fluent as the old one, it feels like it weighs a ton and I am sitting with a G3 300Mhz, when in fact I am on and <B>iMac 800 with 1GB of RAM<B>.

Even the video looks grainier...

And this whole having it in one window thing, just doesn't make it feel better...

All I ask is an upgrade that makes the applications or system become faster, more responsive and well snappier... With occasional new features... That is all I ask... Just make it faster and lighter, so when I work with it, it is a joy...

I don't know, but it sure doesn't feel like there has gone too much work into this version... I am pretty angry that I paid for this $50 box of nothing when this iMovie 3 doesn't even feel snappier... I fear what they did with iDVD 3... Hope there are no problems there...

By the way I have Final Cut Express and Pro, guess which one does the job twice as fast... Yup the pro version, I didn't know they had a different engine in that too?!!?!?! What a waste of money...

Please address this problems Apple... I have always had faith in you, do the right thing and spend a little more time on your apps...
�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

mcaswell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Lyra:
Ok, so my problem is this, it take much longer to open a project then in version 2.1.1.
Also it feels like it uses all my processor power and everything else just to do the smallest operation.
On my Powerbook 1ghz and Dual 1ghz Quicksilver, it performs fine... a little slower than ver. 2, but not terrible. One thing that helped my launching time drastically is running MacJanitor. Give that a shot and see if it helps.

Also, I'm curious... I see that iMovie 3 creates a little Quicktime movie (which appears to just contain a "pointer" to the DV files) in your project's folder that it apparently continuously updates as you edit. I'm guessing this has something to do with the no-export-to-iDVD functionality. Perhaps this can account for some of the performance difference.

--Mike

Vanquish
Feb 4, 2003, 03:53 PM

yeah, I hurt my back while lifting it.

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
yeah, I hurt my back while lifting it.
Wow you too!?!?!?!?!

And yet we did it anyway...

Vanquish
Feb 5, 2003, 11:31 AM

hehe

anyway: why do you use iMovie if you have FCP ??? just use FCP fulltime, WAAAAAY better...

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2003, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
hehe

anyway: why do you use iMovie if you have FCP ??? just use FCP fulltime, WAAAAAY better...
I got some cool transitions from my girlfriend and they were only for iMovie...
I really like them and therefore feel I am a bit stuck there, and it is really much easier...

I do use FCP when I edit color etc. but I can't find all those cool effects, transitions and other cool stuff from iMovie in FCP...

So yeah I know I should invest in a effects package to FCP... But I just bought an iPod... I just couldn't help my self...

�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

Propofol
Feb 6, 2003, 11:21 PM

Lyra (or others)

I am thinking about switching from the iMovie camp to Final Cut Express, as iMovie is driving me insane.

However, I'm not sure I want to shell out the big bucks without knowing what's in store for me. Perusing the manual would help me understand whether or not this program will be within my realm...

Can you email me the PDF of the user's manual for FCE? I'd appreciate it.

[email protected]

Thanks!

saltines17
Senior User
Feb 7, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Lyra:
By the way I have Final Cut Express and Pro, guess which one does the job twice as fast... Yup the pro version, I didn't know they had a different engine in that too?!!?!?! What a waste of money...
It's a different engine?! WTF?! Can anyone else confirm this?!

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 03:57 AM

Since when does the newest version of a piece of software improve its performance? Since never.

The only time you see this is when something goes from Beta to Final, and maybe a little from version 1 to 2, but even then, not usually a lot.

Look at Photoshop, Illustrator, Director, Flash, any multimedia app, or even Word, or Excel, anything?

None of these have better performance over time. You want better performance, run Photoshop 4 in OS8.6 and watch that puppy scream.

As software gets older, hardware gets faster, and the software vendors will pile on the features every version so that people will pay for the upgrade. They decide what acceptable performance would be and stop adding new crap when they hit that point. If they don't Windows Movie Maker is going to add somethign that iMovie doesn't have because they wanted to make it perform better.

Duh.

erw
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 07:18 AM

But what better features are in iMovie that make it so slow? It just does all the old stuff slower and worse with a few extras eg chapters that really shouldn't slow it down...

Forum Links
Forum Rules